Marvel: Thor to Undergo Gender Change

Thor

Marvel announced today that its iconic character Thor will be relaunched in a new series, as a woman:

“The inscription on Thor's hammer reads ‘Whosoever holds this hammer, if HE be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor.’ Well it's time to update that inscription,” says Marvel editor Wil Moss. “The new Thor continues Marvel's proud tradition of strong female characters like Captain Marvel, Storm, Black Widow and more. And this new Thor isn't a temporary female substitute – she's now the one and only Thor, and she is worthy!”

Added series writer Jason Aaron: “This is not She-Thor. This is not Lady Thor. This is not Thorita. This is THOR. This is the THOR of the Marvel Universe. But it’s unlike any Thor we’ve ever seen before.”

Comments

1. edude says

I raised my head with a stoic look but all of a sudden my hammer got really heavy, crashed to the floor, and I can’t wield it any more!

Trouble in Asgard, to say the least. I mean, is Chris Hemsworth out of a job?

2. edude says

Trouble in Asgard, to say the least. I mean, is Chris Hemsworth out of a job?

3. Distingue Traces says

This is all well and good, but acting like it’s a world-shaking permanent change is silly — these big reboots are usually returned to the original design in less than a year (think of long-hair Superman, venom-costume Spidey, etc etc)

4. says

This is like rewriting Repunzel a guy: a horrible idea. In theory it works, but sometimes gender roles are actually fitting, especially when the lore you’re rewriting is thousands of years old.

5. says

6. Fenrox says

PC crap my ass. Marvel is rebooting it’s continuity next summer or after Avengers 2. They can let their writers do anything in this interim period.

I’m sure it will be good. I don’t know if any of you are comic fans but all comics are pretty good now. There aren’t any comics in the “main” continuity that are not telling a contained story, they still do annoying crossovers but it’s not like any comic book is going to be bad. People get so bizarrely invested in this crap. If you like Thor you will like any Thor story, and if you have liked Thor then you know that he has a billion exception stories.

7. Arkansassy says

I’m not so much of a nerd that I read comics, so this doesn’t really affect me, but I wonder if Thor will be post-op or if he’ll have to tuck his junk…

8. says

GARST: Why couldn’t you tell the Repunzel story with Repunzel being a guy. Repunzel, the prince, is gay and likes to wear his hair long. His father, the King, disapproves of his son’s sexual orientation, so he locks him in the tower. Repunzel’s hair continues to grow, until a handsome prince comes along to rescue him etc. etc. etc.

Or let’s make Prince Repunzel straight. He’s totally into the Princesses, but he wants to grow his hair out, which the King is not having. The King says, “I’ll lock you in the tower until you cut that hair,” but the prince won’t do it, until one day along comes the warrior princess/peasant girl/etc. to save him from his tyrannical dad.

Either way is an interesting update of a classic fairy tale, which contribute to the mythos while putting a new and different spin on it. And I’m sure a female Thor will do the same thing.

9. Gregory in Seattle says

Thor has been represented many different ways over the years, both as a native-born Asgardian and as a mortal imbued with god-like powers by an alien artifact. This storyline falls in the later continuity, and the only innovation is that Mjolnir has found a woman worth of such power.

10. LiamB says

Well, not so much a gender change as a character change. Old Thor loses the hammer and a woman picks it up and is found worthy, becoming the new ‘Thor.’

11. kyle says

This is insulting to Nordic Mythology. A middle finger attitude to everything the Viking Gods were. I don’t know what idiot came up with this idea, but they need to be locked away before they decide Loki is really a Marmoset.

12. TonyJazz says

It’s an improvement in comics to be more inclusive of both genders (and not always in Power Girl outfits)….

I’d like to see this ‘stick’, but the movies are now out-of-synch?

13. Tyler says

I have no problem with a woman Thor. As long as she’s a real woman. Not a tranny or a “genderqueer” or a neutrois or any of the other mentally diseased phenomena collectively known as transgender.