Music | News | Perfume Genius

Perfume Genius Gets Confessional in 'Queen': MUSIC VIDEO

2_queen

Mike Hadreas — better known as Perfume Genius — likes to get confessional. On his most recent LP, the acclaimed sophomore effort Put Your Back N 2 It, Hadreas sang about family issues, and he performed in a tender music video where he was groomed by Arpad Miklos (RIP). He's back with new material, and so far it feels just as raw and honest.

QueenStereogum reports new details on forthcoming third album Too Bright: it will be released September 22, and Hadreas says the sound was influenced by landmark art rock albums such as Scott Walker’s Tilt and Kate Bush’s The Dreaming.

The first single is called "Queen," and it was released Tuesday. The song seems to be about DGAF-ing in the face of homophobia and gay panic — said Hadreas in his inimitable, surreal style:

Sometimes I see faces of blank fear when I walk by … if these fucking people want to give me some power — if they see me as some sea witch with penis tentacles that are always prodding and poking and seeking to convert the muggles — well, here she comes.

Check out the new video, AFTER THE JUMP...

Perfumegenius

Comments

1. Great video!

Posted by: Kieran | Jul 17, 2014 11:04:43 AM

2. Is that shirt sequins or chain mail? Please let it be chain mail.

Posted by: Sean | Jul 17, 2014 11:26:04 AM

3. An effeminate gay man? Aren't we past this by now? I thought the "marriage equality" movement was about normalizing the gay male community. How is this normal?

Posted by: Rick | Jul 17, 2014 11:39:45 AM

4. ♪ ♫ I ♥ it ♫ ♪

@Sean
    It’s neither; it looks like studs or beading.

Posted by: 1♥ | Jul 17, 2014 12:03:55 PM

5. Who the hell ever said that the goal of fighting for our equal rights was about "normalizing" the gay community? Who's idea of "normal" are you going by? Is there a manual or instruction set to achieve "normalization"?? What a load.

Posted by: jeff | Jul 17, 2014 12:10:07 PM

6. In what society is a fairy in chain mail normal? The world isn't the Folsom Street Fair and society isn't the playground for lustful gay men to do as they they please.

Posted by: Rick | Jul 17, 2014 12:21:25 PM

7. "... if they see me as some sea witch with penis tentacles that are always prodding and poking and seeking to convert the muggles ..."

What?!

Posted by: Profe Sancho Panza | Jul 17, 2014 12:43:42 PM

8. I hate myself for loving men.

(Apologies to Joan Jett - a self-aware, self-loving homo.)

Posted by: Rick | Jul 17, 2014 12:44:33 PM

9. If it's been influenced by Kate Bush's "The Dreaming", then it might be worth a listen. Her album is one of my favorites, ever.

Posted by: FuryOfFirestorm | Jul 17, 2014 1:51:51 PM

10. Really interesting.

"normalizing": what a TERRIBLE word. For one thing, there is NO SUCH THING as normal.

Posted by: Michael in Toronto | Jul 17, 2014 3:40:37 PM

11. for every several OXD Mirror columns we have to suffer thru we get a respite with something wonderful as this.

more please.

Posted by: don't a tell la | Jul 17, 2014 8:19:14 PM

12. I have no idea what this video "meant" -- but that sure didn't stop me from absolutely loving it!

Posted by: Marc | Jul 18, 2014 2:16:40 AM