David Mixner | New York | News | Theatre

Oh Hell No!: David Mixner to Perform Benefit Stage Show in NYC

Mixner

LGBT and civil rights activist, author, storyteller, and Towleroad contributor David Mixner will debut a new one-night only one-man show on October 27 at 7 pm at New World Stages in New York City to benefit The Point Foundation, an organization which assists LGBTQ students in achieving their academic and leadership potential.

Mixner's new show, Oh Hell No!, will take as its starting point "personal and public details of his headline-grabbing and history-shaping life" and be accompanied musically by Chris Bolan, Megan Osterhaus, and Tim Jerome.

Event chairs for the evening include Alan Cumming, Robert Desiderio, Herb Hamsher, Judith Light, Ken Mehlman, Rob Smith, Jonathan Stoller, Jorge Valencia, and Edie Windsor. For information on tickets, including Premium Seating with special access to the post-performance VIP reception at Glass House Tavern, please contact Drew Rhodes at (212) 512-5785 or drew@pointfoundation.org.

Photo by Nigel Barker.

Comments

1. Mehlman? Really? No thanks.

Posted by: The milkman | Jul 29, 2014 5:49:18 PM

2. Mehlman definitely makes this a poor choice for entertainment.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Jul 29, 2014 6:05:35 PM

3. WTH is Mehlmen getting honored with this spot??? He set the movement back 10 years with the 2004 Bush campaign. But like Mary Cheney he decided to put his back into it after he had already fulfilled his desire for fortune/status/fame. And then really only only in the affluent/more tolerant area he can afford to live- not in the Netherlands where he turned the tides even further against us. This truly disgusts me.

Posted by: robroy | Jul 29, 2014 6:39:10 PM

4. You lost me at Ken Mehlman, but I wish David the best.

Posted by: Brian W. | Jul 29, 2014 8:29:15 PM

5. I'm with The Milkman... I'd go if Mehlman wasn't going to be there.

Posted by: GraciesDaddy | Jul 29, 2014 8:46:49 PM

6. I would hope that if I were the kind of person invited to such events, I'd have the self-respect to see Ken Mehlman's name on the list and toss the invitation into the trash.

Posted by: Profe Sancho Panza | Jul 29, 2014 8:59:03 PM

7. I'd also have imagined that the Point Foundation, which is trying to educate and support the next generation of LGBTQ leaders, would not hold Ken Mehlman up as an example to young people by honoring him. I guess if one writes big enough checks, people can be convinced to forget truly heinous behavior.

Posted by: Profe Sancho Panza | Jul 29, 2014 9:14:19 PM

8. I know. When I saw Mehlman's name I did a double take. Still, it's times like this when I wish I lived in NYC. It sounds like fun. I'd go in a flash.

Posted by: robert | Jul 29, 2014 9:19:45 PM

9. I know. When I saw Mehlman's name I did a double take. Still, it's times like this when I wish I lived in NYC. It sounds like fun. I'd go in a flash.

Posted by: robert | Jul 29, 2014 9:19:50 PM

10. Great cause, but mehlman and the organizers should know better. S

Posted by: r | Jul 30, 2014 4:55:26 AM

11. Mixner: helped elect Clinton then got arrested at the Clinton white house

Mehlman: got bush elected and rode the republican wave until it was over

Wanna raise money? Put mehlman on the stage

Posted by: r | Jul 30, 2014 5:16:37 AM

12. If Mehlman wants to redeem himself, he should raise his megabux privately in his rich friends' salons and have the decency to stay out of the public eye. He should certainly not solicit or accept awards and accolades.

Posted by: AdamK | Jul 30, 2014 8:30:41 AM

13. Talk about a "Vanity Production" ....all around!

Posted by: MACnNYC | Jul 30, 2014 3:03:02 PM

14. Loved David's book--he has a great history of fighting for equal rights. But Mehlman? No way, never.

Posted by: wc401 | Jul 30, 2014 4:02:19 PM