AIDS/HIV | Health | LGBT Stories | Video | YouTube

Smoking Overtakes HIV As Number One Health Risk To LGBT Community: VIDEO

Smokig overtakes HIV as number one health rick for LGBTI

The Office of the Surgeon General and Center for Disease Control’s (CDC) Office of Smoking and Health have launched a video about smoking disparities in LGBT communities.

CDC statistics show that 30.8% of the LGBTI population in the US use tobacco products compared to 20.5% of the population as a whole.

The US Network for LGBT Health Equity reports that while non-smokers with HIV can expect to have an average of 5.1 years taken from their lives, people who smoke and have HIV will on average die 12.3 years earlier, according to Pink News.

The Center for Disease Control will target LGBT smokers this month as part of its Tips From Former Smokers Campaign. The campaign video features Brian, a HIV positive man who smoked for 30 years before a smoking- and HIV-related stroke almost killed him.

Watch both of the videos, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. So glad I kicked this habit 8 years ago, and have never looked back!

Posted by: Tom | Jul 10, 2014 2:20:45 PM

2. Smoking smells bad.

Posted by: Kieran | Jul 10, 2014 2:24:36 PM

3. I wish more gay media in the past had taken a stand against smoking. Too often, they were eager to be accepted by anyone.

Posted by: Randy | Jul 10, 2014 2:35:31 PM

4. Suicide on the installment plan.

Posted by: Bill | Jul 10, 2014 2:46:57 PM

5. I see we are now censoring comments criticizing the writing and reporting, but of course the hate filled tirades by the Towleroad Trolls go untouched.

Posted by: qj201 | Jul 10, 2014 2:57:04 PM

6. dear smoking gays - make the switch to vaping, right now. wean yourself off from Big Tobacco.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jul 10, 2014 3:11:45 PM

7. Smokers are disgusting. I've never dated or even been friends with a smoker, and never would.

Posted by: Merv | Jul 10, 2014 3:25:26 PM

8. It's my 9th month of staying quit! So happy to be able to quit cold turkey and haven't had even a single puff since Oct. 24th, 2013! :)

Posted by: Stuart | Jul 10, 2014 4:36:01 PM

9. It's my 9th month of staying quit! So happy to be able to quit cold turkey and haven't had even a single puff since Oct. 24th, 2013! :)

Posted by: Stuart | Jul 10, 2014 4:36:03 PM

10. Tobacco use is disgusting. I wish good luck to everyone trying to quit.

Posted by: Mike B. | Jul 10, 2014 4:58:45 PM

11. The problem with vaping and ecigarettes is the anti tobacco and anti nicotine nazis want to tax them to death or outright ban them,too,even though they contain zero tobacco. The Canadian government already heavily regulates them.

I seriously foubt smoking or tobacco use is the number one health problem in the U.S.; I'm pretty sure that would be being overweight and obese.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jul 10, 2014 5:07:56 PM

12. I liked this particular anti-smoking campaign aimed towards our community:

When did Smoking Become Part of Us?

Posted by: Alexander | Jul 10, 2014 5:34:52 PM

13. Smoking is a major turn off.

Posted by: jarago | Jul 10, 2014 6:10:30 PM

14. Kissing a smoker is like licking a full ashtray.

Posted by: jason MacBride | Jul 10, 2014 10:31:57 PM

15. As health-minded as gay men are, I can't believe that ANY gay man would still be smoking cigs with all we know about them.

With the advent of vaping, and the fact that it's actually cheaper to vape, what are gay men still buying cigarettes for? It's a death sentence. I've seen far too many of my friends and relatives die from cigarette-related diseases.

Gay Smokers: Do yourself a favor and quit now.

Smoking Stinks.

Posted by: johnny | Jul 11, 2014 7:30:39 AM

16. Vaping and e cigarettes are just as bad. Just quit. I did it and so can you. Chew the gum, get the patch but do not use vaporisers or e-cigarettes and say you are quitting. You are not. I have never seen anyone who uses those devices actually quit smoking with them. And you look like a tool from the star wars bar scene when you use them!

Posted by: Liam | Jul 11, 2014 11:24:16 AM