Comic Books | Instagram | Massachusetts | News | Provincetown | RSVPtown | Superheroes

Provincetown's Comic Book Carnival Springs to Life in These 120 Sexy, Superpower-ful Instagram Pics: PHOTOS

Justice

Every year in August more than 90,000 people descend on the gay and lesbian resort destination of Provincetown, Massachusetts for the town's annual Carnival celebration. This year, balmy, late summer temperatures combined with festive vacation spirits turned out animated characters and 'Cape crusaders' in force for 2014's theme: Comic Book Capers.

Roys

We've collected 120 of our favorite Instagram pics featuring more Supermen, X-Men, Batmen than you can leap in a single bound along with a few Poison Ivies, a couple of Hat Sisters, an Iron Man, a dozen Robins, the Flash, a Green Lantern or two, Smurfs, Babs, Captain America, a group of Roy Lichtenstein gals, more than one Ambiguously Gay Duo, Wonder Women, a few Drag Race celebutantes, the nation's supply of spandex, and a few guys who are just plain Super.

Watch the comics come to life in the nation's LGBT playground, AFTER THE JUMP...

Also, don't miss our Instagram galleries from BEAR WEEK and FAMILY WEEK.

Be sure to follow us on Instagram at TLRD for more photos from Provincetown this summer.

Couple

Comments

1. Well I guess I know what superheros to call if my emergency is manscaping, body paint, capes, or sassy gender-bending. Instead of the bat signal in the sky, is it just the word "GURL?"

Posted by: Countervail | Aug 22, 2014 4:57:35 PM

2. Definitely the week to go! Gays are still gay it appears - even "Super Gay."

Posted by: Markt | Aug 22, 2014 5:45:50 PM

3. Sheesh! Towleroad has so much crap to load on its web page including that useless meebo bar that it takes ten minutes for the page to load. I shouldn't even bother should I?

Posted by: Joseph Singer | Aug 22, 2014 5:55:52 PM

4. OK. I've just become a fearmongering republican. I can now see why people fear the gays. Scary. And not pretty. And I like pretty.

Really?

Posted by: tinkerbelle | Aug 22, 2014 6:09:48 PM

5. Well Tinkerbelle, Batman really does it for me.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Aug 22, 2014 6:17:58 PM

6. Awesome - bad puns galore and such joie de vivre - love the Iron Man and Caftan America.
    We need more whimsy like this - granted the hot guys in itsy bitsy bathing suits didn't hurt.

Posted by: Essus | Aug 22, 2014 6:46:24 PM

7. Remember back in high school when you were becoming fully aware of your sexuality and had not come out yet and you had this quaint notion that other gay men would be as normal and attractive as the boys you grew up with and the boys you went to school with?

Posted by: Rick | Aug 22, 2014 7:03:45 PM

8. no people of color.

Posted by: Dan4444 | Aug 22, 2014 7:28:35 PM

9. Not true. And anyway, what does "people of color" mean? And how can you tell under all of those masks and costumes? Do you really presume to know everyone's ethnicity?

Posted by: busytimmy | Aug 22, 2014 7:44:41 PM

10. @ Dan4444 - look at the drag queens. Also, I'm great at spotting fellow latinos. I'm happy with our representation.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Aug 22, 2014 9:40:09 PM

11. Rick - Wearing a costume or being body painted isn't unmasculine it's just unconstipated. Real men have been wearing costumes for millenia and still do. I live next door to a fire station, I know.

Posted by: Markt | Aug 22, 2014 9:54:32 PM

12. Dan4444: So what? They're as free to go as anyone else.
    Did you go?
    Do you ever go?
    Did you bring friends of color?
    Why not?
    If not you, then who?

Posted by: Tatts | Aug 23, 2014 8:11:06 AM

13. I live with three young gay men who wouldn't think of going to Provincetown to be part of such an exteme display of godawful taste and pointless perversity. They're serious people who work too hard to create a real life (two are a couple, one is single). I can't get them to look at more than a couple of pictures - which bore them and embarrass me for even distracting them long enough to look. They're normal, sweet-natued guys and lots of fun to have around. At their age I would never have been interested either. It's all just too empty and phony to bother with.

RICK take heart, they're are lots of perfectly nice gay guys who are much too sensible and steady to make fools of themselves.

Posted by: UFFDA | Aug 23, 2014 9:05:01 AM

14. It looks like the majority of them forgot most of their costumes! Batman was in such a hurry that he only had time to grab his mask and some underwear!

I think it would be more aptly put as an event for wearing superhero masks. It's much cheaper that way... wearing only 5% of the superhero's costume. :)

Posted by: Marlon Manroe | Aug 23, 2014 9:06:34 AM

15. @ Uffda - as the old lady who kissed the cow said, "To each his own."

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Aug 23, 2014 10:20:57 AM

16. Caftan America for the win!

Posted by: Nick | Aug 23, 2014 10:38:21 AM

17. Caftan America for the win!

Posted by: Nick | Aug 23, 2014 10:38:22 AM

18. Here we have Towelroad joing JoeMyGod doing PR work for Ptown to get free vactions. *yawn*

Posted by: Will | Aug 23, 2014 11:38:27 AM

19. It's hilarious how UFFDA thinks living with 3 other people makes him an authority on gay youth.

That just makes you an authority on being poor.

Posted by: crispy | Aug 23, 2014 11:41:46 AM

20. From the pixs I saw on Towerload, it looks like the parade may have been one of the very best P'town has ever had. A much older straight female friend of mine (who visits Ptown every year and loves gay men) said that the parade this year was far less commercial than in previous years, and that everyone appeared to enjoy themselves. Wonderful ! I had a home in P'town from 1977-2011 and attended all of the parades = 34 of them over the many decades.

Posted by: David Jarretrt | Aug 23, 2014 12:57:05 PM

21. I'm so glad to see the hat sisters! I was thinking about them a few days ago and how fun the Boston gay Christmas tree was. It really brought everyone together. And we got free light bulbs. See, I'm not Rick... I don't think he'd know about Boston pride lights.

Posted by: Carmelo | Aug 23, 2014 4:54:40 PM

22. @uffda: Your house sounds like a bunch of bores. Many of the people in those pictures are white collar professionals with serious careers. Likely so successful they don't have to have three roommates. Ptown is expensive. How else do you think they afford it? Take the stick out of your ass and enjoy life more.

Posted by: cbc | Aug 24, 2014 9:41:03 AM

23. I'm glad that the participants can do that, and that they feel free enough and safe enough to do so.

I'm also glad that I don't have to.

Posted by: Live And Let Love | Aug 24, 2014 12:55:40 PM

24. CRISPY, 3 snaps in a z-formation, that is shade so dark I can barely see my keyboard. Love it.

Posted by: Dave | Aug 25, 2014 9:40:02 AM

25. And Carnival week in Ptown is incredible, just have to pull the stick out of your backside (you can use it to wave your rainbow flag).

Posted by: Dave | Aug 25, 2014 9:41:46 AM