Sam Smith Reportedly In Talks to Record Next ‘James Bond’ Theme Song

Smith

British singer-songwriter Sam Smith is in talks with MGM to record the theme for next year's James Bond film, according to the British tabloid The Sun.

Music Times reports:

The In the Lonely Hour singer is the lead pick for the Daniel Craig-starring film's theme song, following reports that Adele rejected the initial offer to record the title track. Of course, she was a big part of the 2012 Bond film Skyfall, having recorded the track of the same name.

A source at MGM stated, "Sam is our top choice. He has the profile, cool image and an astonishing voice to record a Bond theme," in the Sun report.

The film, tentatively titled Bond 24, stars Daniel Craig, Ralph Fiennes, Ben Whishaw, Naomie Harris, and Rory Kinnear. The film is scheduled for release November 6, 2015.

And if you missed last week's video for Smith's latest stunning single "I'm Not the Only One," you can check it out AFTER THE JUMP

Comments

1. Mike says

I think this is awesome if it happens. Has a man ever recorded the theme? I can only recall Adele, Madonna, Tina Turner. Either way, first or not, it will be good!

2. Hrm says

Of course a man has recorded a song for the movie. Chris Cornell did the theme for Casino Royale just a few years ago. McCartney did Live and Let Die. Duran Duran did a View to a Kill. A-Ha did The Living Daylights. Jack White joined Alicia Keys for Quantum of Solace…..

3. Bond1965 says

The very first theme song to a James Bond film was recorded by Matt Monro, “From Russia With Love.” And don’t forget Tom Jones sang “Thunderball.”

4. Jonesing says

I totally do not align with the appeal of this guy’s voice. His range is limited to one vocal affectaion– a stifled sob.

There are so many truly legendary singers to pick from…why this guy, when any Jones would do? Gloria? Sharon? Norah?

5. tinkerbelle says

Duran Duran’s song is still one of the best.

Has any artist done back-to back songs for Bond?

In any event, I’m still suffering from Adele’s Skyfall song. Love her as I might, I found her song a total mess. Albeit, I never got through the whole thing (and had my fingers in my ears during the movie’s opening sequence), but then, there was a reason…

6. Tarc says

As awesome as Adele’s Skyfall was, she’s about to release her new album, so I’m sure the timing isn’t good. I’m sure she’ll do another (though the pressure is pretty high to do well). That said, Sam Smith is pretty incredible, and certainly not ‘one trick’.

7. crispy says

“Has any artist done back-to back songs for Bond?”

No one has done back-to-back theme songs, but Shirley Bassey has recorded three: Goldfinger, Diamonds are Forever, and Moonraker.

In the modern Bond era, they typically don’t use a previous Bond artist, so I have to question the rumor that they asked Adele again.

I also have my doubts about Sam Smith. While he’s a talented emerging artist, they’ll be looking for exposure from a hit song, and I highly doubt they’d choose someone whose not a household name.

8. Dback says

He’s got a sensational voice; now he just needs the appropriately moody/longing melody, with slightly dangerous orchestrations underneath, to showcase it.

9. IAN F says

I like my Bond songs bombastic with a strong big ranged voice.

Sam doesn’t gave that. His strengths are elsewhere.

I always thought Queen would go great with Bond. Would have loved to have seen what Freddie would have done but right now Queen with Adam Lambert is getting a lot of attention and would be a much better fit. Lambert’s voice was made made for this sh*t.

10. Topol says

I’m with Jonesing. As far as emotion, Smith seems very limited to me. And falsettos only go so far in their appeal.

On the plus side, one could say he has a wider range than Adele.

BTW, I thought that Eurovision song, Rise Like a Phoenix by Conchita Wurst, is a great Bond song. Why record another?