Comments

1. basementmatt says

I don’t think it’s necessary to put “Christian” in quotes. There is no objective standard of what a Christian is. If someone says they’re a Christian, no one is a position to say they’re not. They might disagree on specific points of dogma, but that’s not the same as not being Christian. So leave the quotes out. Let the Christians deal with the fallout.

2. QJ201 says

@basementmatt

I’ll add that the logic of using “christian” in quotes should also be applied to “muslims” when talking about terrorists and “jews” when talking about Israeli extremists.

Actually I think that would really piss terrorists off, the West refusign to recognize them as muslim.

I think “religious fascist” is a nice substitute…for all them (e.g, the WBC).

3. GregV says

@Basement Matt: Jesus was a pacifist who spread notions like keeping your nose out of your neighbor’s business, showing love to your friends and enemies alike, turning your cheek if you get hit, giving away all your possessions to the poor, and keeping your prayers private between you and God in a closet and not out in public for others to see.
    I think it’s fair to put the term in quotes when somrone claims to be his follower but ignores everything he stood for.
    I’d compare it to an out and proud pro-equality gay person having a bigoted Facebook “friend” who’s constantly attacking him. (“Friend” belongs in quotes.)

4. robroy says

What DBack said. It took me a minute to spot that because I was to focused on wondering what these fuckers had to do with Selma. They were probably on the wrong side of that movement as well.

& gotta love that homophobia has even become a joke among male country singers. It seemed like after Johnny Cash, Willie and Kris Kristopherson they had taken a major turn to the far right. So I’m loving when the mainstream country as hell folks like Brad Paisley even mock them.

5. Randy says

Much as I hate WBC, I hate Twitter more.

Let’s be clear… a form of communication banned a user because they criticized that communication provider.

That should never be permitted.

6. Randy says

BasementMatt: “If someone says they’re a Christian, no one is a position to say they’re not.”

No. There’s a book. It’s THE book that tells Christians about Jesus. If someone contradicts that book, then objectively they are not a Christian. At best, they are “Christian”.

7. Merv says

There is nothing objectively anti-Christian about WBC. For every Bible verse someone points to that they supposedly violate, a different verse says the opposite.

8. Neil says

What has happened to “Je suis Charlie.?” If we decry freedom of speech, shouldn’t we allow it for those whom we don’t agree with? I think it’s appalling that their Twitter account was suspended. You can hate them and what they have to say, but you can’t claim to value freedom of expression if you support their being silenced. You and your unpopular ideas will be next!

First they came for the Socialists, and I did not speak out—
    Because I was not a Socialist.

Then they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not speak out—
    Because I was not a Trade Unionist.

Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out—
    Because I was not a Jew.

Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me.

9. anon says

This sounds like cover from Twitter because they don’t like the messenger. They shouldn’t censor based on content unless the content is illegal. Otherwise, they are just stepping into the middle of an endless series of arguments.

10. says

at least Canada , and now twitter, understands that there’s a marked difference between “free speech” and speech which specifically sets out to incite harm and hatred and possible danger towards a targeted group.

11. Michael says

Given the amount of protected hate speech on Twitter, it’s a little jejune of them to only suspend WBC now, at the point where they’ve insulted Twitter.

12. says

Amazing how people keep crying “free speech”…

WRONG, YOU KNUCKLEHEADS!

Twitter is a private company, and as such, has that pesky little thing called “Terms and Conditions”…I think we’ve all heard of ’em..

WBC broke their T&C, so they got the penalty that comes with it. Sorry if people don’t like that.

13. alane says

this is such crap, twitter is allowing a huge amount of islamists to post on there and recruit followers and only started beginning to censor at the demand of the gov’t. I wish we could just stop parsing definition of what christian is/isn’t, should/shouldn’t be and call them all religionists. They are all derived from pastoralism which usually has some deranged maniac isolating himself in the wilderness, raping his kids when bored w/his wife who is forced to breed and denied reproductive control, abusing his kids into PTSD and personality disorder, and mutilating the genitalia of infants (the sickest offshoot of religious pastoralism and a gross human rights violation). Your particular religion, to me, is like the color of your underwear, if I know anything about it, then you are revealing too much. Viva secularism, je suis Charlie, and screw these freaks no matter what denomination of Abrahamism they claim to be.