Earlier today American freeskier Gus Kenworthy came out as gay in an interview with ESPN. Kenworthy won the silver medal in his event for Team USA back in 2014 at the Sochi Olympics in Russia.
I am gay.
Wow, it feels good to write those words. For most of my life, I’ve been afraid to embrace that truth about myself. Recently though, I’ve gotten to the point where the pain of holding onto the lie is greater than the fear of letting go, and I’m very proud to finally be letting my guard down.
Congratulations, Gus! We need more athletes like you to come out and raise the visibility of the LGBT community in the world of sport. You coming out will doubtless touch the lives of many LGBT athletes and youths around the world.
Now, we need to discuss another important and pressing issue. Gus Kenworthy is totally hot. Don’t believe us? Check out our definitive guide to his unparalleled swoon-worthiness, below.
1. He indulges in ironic food choices.
2. He quotes Zoolander.
3. And Katy Perry. All while getting wet.
4. He’s young, dope and proud.
5. Like an American.
6. He volunteers and builds houses for charity.
View this post on Instagram
Rome wasn't built in a day, but this little house in Tijuana basically was! Thanks so much to the @hopesports_ foundation for the opportunity to help out this weekend and to the 50 other athletes who volunteered. In two days three houses were constructed for three families in need and I couldn't be more stoked to have been a part of it! This is one of the three families we built a house for. All four members of the family were living in a dilapidated 6' x 10' shed before we arrived. The single mother, Dominguez, works in a factory six days a week from 3 o'clock in the afternoon 'til midnight and only makes $65 USD a week. She works insanely hard but struggles to provide for her family and I am just really grateful to have had the opportunity to help make her and her family's lives even a little bit better. #ussagivesback #buildhope #gopro
7. …Those abs though…
8. He certainly knows how to bring attention to a cause.
9. He’s clearly not afraid of a challenge. Or icy cold water.
10. He loves to flip out. And jump off bridges.
11. We just hope he checks the depth of these rivers before he jumps into them, though. He is a precious commodity.
12. This selfie requires no justification or explanation.
View this post on Instagram
Shameless selfie because it's my birthday and you can't tell me what to do! Lol. I woke up this morning feeling really good both mentally and physically, and ready to take on the year ahead! I've got a lot of big things in store that I'm really excited about and I'm grateful, as always, to have y'all's company on my journey! Thanks for the support – I love youuuuu's!
13. He daydreams about snow. We daydream about…other things.
14. His happy face is kind of everything.
15. We can’t look away.
16. Seriously, his Vine is hilarious.
17. Told you.
18. He knows how to tame flamingos.
19. But he’s more than just a pretty face and body. Boy has moves!
20. And he rescued stray dogs from Sochi!
22. We call that turning a #SochiProblem into an opportunity.
23. Cannot handle the cuteness.
24. Cuteness overload imminent.
25. The cuteness has boiled over.
26. We require resuscitation.
27. Keep up the good work, Gus! And welcome to the family!