Federal officials warned last night of 'specific and credible' terror threats against NYC and DC, ABC News reports:
U.S. authorities are scrambling to sort through information that the CIA developed in the past 24 hours indicating that at least three individuals entered the U.S. in August by air with the intent to launch a vehicle-borne attack against Washington, D.C. or New York around the anniversary of 9/11, according to intelligence officials.
Officials say the alleged terror plot was initiated by new al Qaeda chief Ayman al-Zawahiri, Osama bin Laden's successor, who had pledged to avenge bin Laden's death earlier this year in a U.S. raid.
The NYDN reports:
One rental truck that originated from an unidentified rental shop is missing, according to officials, who added that authorities are currently searching for the truck in the two cities. "It is significant and should be taken seriously," a law enforcement official told The News concerning the potential threat.
Meanwhile, a counterterrorism official told The Associated Press that law enforcement officials have been investigating the intelligence since it was received late Wednesday night. Cops and feds have conducted bomb sweeps in garages throughout New York and Washington, D.C., sources told The News.
Watch Bloomberg's news conference, AFTER THE JUMP…