This weekly travel column is brought to you by ManAboutWorld, an immersive digital gay travel magazine for iOS and Android devices from Billy Kolber, Ed Salvato, Kenny Porpora, and nearly 75 Global Correspondents.
Along with marriage equality in Ireland, the country just hung out a giant rainbow-colored “you are welcome” sign to the world. (Oscar Wilde, Irish poet, playwright and satirist, who was persecuted for being gay, would be stunned!) Within a few hours of the historic vote, Tourism Ireland launched an LGBT website and released a video inviting the gay world to visit Ireland. And what better time than now? Clearly the Irish are welcoming and accepting and imagine how amazingly fun Dublin Pride (June 19-28) will be on the heels of this historic vote!
LGBT-friendly Ireland is ready for you to come visit, join the celebration and, who knows, maybe get gay married yourself!
You can be sure ManAboutWorld will be covering Ireland in the months to come, but if you’re eager to get going, check out these five great ways to see Ireland now:
1. The Outing: Single but wanna get gay married to an Irishman (or Irishwoman)? We have just the ticket! This year’s 3rd annual LGBT matchmaking and music festival takes place October 2-4. The Outing is a gay offshoot of the Lisdoonvarna Matchmaking Festival (August 28-October 4) — going strong since the 1850s. This fall, we expect same-sex couples will not only be able to meet there, but get married too!
2. Aer Lingus: Luck of the Irish or shrewd marketing? Either way, Aer Lingus is offering terrific sale fares right now to and from the U.S. as well as to many European destinations so you could always just stop over in Dublin for a few days en route to another destination.
3. Brendan Tours: The very first gay tours of Ireland (in 2003) were operated for RSVP Vacations by Brendan Vacations, the leader in luxury vacations to Ireland, with four different styles of vacations, including chauffeured- and self-drive options. Yes, chauffeured! Now, that's a nice way to see any place.
4. Vagabond Tours: This gay-friendly tour company specializes in local experiences, offering 4×4 active vacations and small motor coach groups.
5. Rail Tours Ireland: Riding the rails is such a quintessential way to experience Europe. Rail Tours Ireland offers train-based journeys from two days to nine.
ManAboutWorld is now on the iPhone! Android coming soon. To download for the iPhone, click HERE.
Image credits: Top: Kinvarra – Dunguaire Castle by Gengish Skan; Right: The Outing by Cian Markey; Bottom: Oscar Wilde Statue, Merrion Square Park by Amy Barr.