Crime | Sports

Gay Assault Case Against Colin Finnerty Re-Opened

Finnerty_2Duke Lacrosse player Collin Finnerty's indictment on rape charges has re-opened the gay bashing case against him.

A DC Superior Court judge decided Tuesday that Finnerty violated the terms of a diversion program he was ordered to enter after his assault charge last November stemming from an indident in which Finnerty punched another man when the man told him to "stop calling him gay and other derogatory names."

The assault charges would have been dismissed had Finnerty completed 25 hours of community service and not committed any other offenses. If convicted of assault, Finnerty could face a $1,000 fine and up to six months in jail.

U.S. Revokes Deal in Duke Player Case [charlotte observer]

Comments

1. That bowl cut isn't going to be winning him any points, either. Typical Irish Catholic loser.

Posted by: DAN | Apr 25, 2006 12:42:20 PM

2. Finnerty appears to be an asshole by all accounts, however, in the interest of fairness of reporting, the assault was against a straight man whom they presumed was gay. They taunted and beat him. The man was not gay. While it does not make the crime any less hate motivated, I think its important to respect the victim's sexual orientation just as much as we ask ours to be respected.

Posted by: Jeff | Apr 25, 2006 1:06:03 PM

3. Jeff,

Finnerty and his friends are still assholes. They beat up a man, a total stranger, who did nothing to them. It's pathetic that he was able to get community service, no doubt because he had the money to pay for a good attorney. What's the difference from Finnerty and Pomie who beat another so bad he suffered paralysis and brain damage? Just that Finnerty didn't go the extra inch...At the end of the day, Finnerty is still a punk-assed thug with wealthy parents to bail him out.

As for the Duke rape charges, it's best to let the court and jury decide the truth there. However, I am disappointed that Andy has only covered this story from the "gay" angle.

Posted by: noah | Apr 25, 2006 1:25:14 PM

4. Noah,

Please don't misunderstand my comment. I am in no way defending Finnerty or his accomplices, I was only pointing out that we should be cautious of how the DC crime is characterized out of respect for the victim, who happens to be a straight man. Which opens a whole other can of worms, because they attacked the man on their perception that he was gay, but the victim is actually straight, so does labelling that crime a "gay bashing" do an injustice to the victim? I don't really know, but in a circumstance such as this, I can only try and respect the victim who has identified himself as a straight man. But, at the same timem, I think its important to encourage the authorities to prosecute the hate motive to the fullest extent of the law.

As for Andy only covering the "gay angle" of the Duke case, I'm not sure I get your point? Care to elaborate?

Posted by: Jeff | Apr 25, 2006 1:36:53 PM

5. And fuck you too, Dan.

Posted by: Liam | Apr 25, 2006 1:41:09 PM

6. My my.Gentlemen can't we at least be civil? We are all aware of the arrogance of certain types of athletes and fratboys.It will be interesting to watch as events unfold.

Posted by: Brian | Apr 25, 2006 2:11:02 PM

7. Wow. These recent dramatic developments seem to conclude that 19 year old jocks can be crude, aggressive, cruel pricks. I know, it's shocking.

But let's not assume that it's because the boy's Irish... that has nothing to do with it. Irish boys, particularly the ones with the sexy Irish accents, always remind me of that John Wayne movie "The Quiet Man". Just delightful.

Posted by: Brian | Apr 25, 2006 2:48:39 PM

8. Is it just me... or is his lawyer giving him the look of "you are an idiot" heh...

Posted by: Darren | Apr 25, 2006 3:24:35 PM

9. THIS skinny little piece of shit is the culprit?

Posted by: Jacko | Apr 25, 2006 3:26:27 PM

10. What's the deal with his dad bringing in a priest? That la familia is a stalwart member of the Catholic Church?

Posted by: gabe | Apr 25, 2006 3:43:48 PM

11. I think that is his father in the pic, not his lawyer.

Posted by: xolondon | Apr 25, 2006 4:04:18 PM

12. I grew up in the same relative area as Mr. Finnerty and graduated from the very same Catholic All Boys High School which Mr. Finnerty did, and I can quite comfortably say that the reason I have such atrocious memories of high school is exactly because the place I attended was a breeding ground for obnoxious pricks like young Finnerty. They were already well on their way by the time they got to school, the place just reinforced it all to the self serving elitist wannabe bully jocks and COMPLETELY spoiled rich brats that ran roughshod over the rest of us who were just used as punching bags for these bastards. Oh, by the way, The biggest asshole douchebag of them all, Bill O'Reilly of FOX News is also a graduate of the same place. (Chaminade High School)Take it from there.

Posted by: Tim | Apr 25, 2006 4:16:54 PM

13. hey Liam, I'm as white trash all-Mick as you can get, and I have a tattoo with a shamrock w/ a pink leaf just for that very reason. irish vs queer is almost as bad as black vs queer in this country. The Irish take way too much pride in being assholes and treat queers like dirt...and I've been to Boston enough to see how queers chase after str8 irish boy dick enough that it's beyond stupid. I guess I agree that Dan's comment is idiotic..but there IS truth in (many) stereotypes [which is NOT the same as saying all stereotypes are true]

Posted by: psmike | Apr 25, 2006 4:43:29 PM

14. The Irish Catholic comment was totally unnecessary and that's all there is to say.

Posted by: jmg | Apr 25, 2006 5:09:31 PM

15. Until we clean out the racist crap from our own closets, we won't be taken seriously when we demand respect.

Posted by: Tom | Apr 25, 2006 5:35:03 PM

16. First the Irish Catholic comment is bigoted.
    Not all Irish Catholics are homophobic thugs--that should go without saying.

Jeff,

I don't think it's a slur to say that the straight guy was gay-bashed. A hate crime is based on intent. There have been cases where a heterosexual couple have been bashed because the female member had short, boyish hair. When Cheney, Schwerner, and Goodman were murdered in Mississippi for working in the Civil Rights movement, that was a hate a crime based on the victims work to improve the condition of African-Americans.

Finnerty and pals called the guy "gay" as an epithet. When the victim told them to stop, they beat him. Three guys against one unarmed person is pretty damn scary. I don't think anyone who beats up another person like that should get off with community service. Deals like that smell of corruption on some level. How far would things have gone if there hadn't been a police officer who happened by the scene? Wouldn't you be terrifed if three people came after you? None of the attackers should have gotten a slap on the wrist for that.

As for things being bad in terms of "blacks vs. queers," come on, that's a generalization. Homophobia is rife throughout society just as is sexism and racism. Education and mixing of people is the cure.

Finnerty's showing up with a priest is a manipulative attempt to paint him as an "upstanding young, Catholic man." It's like a scene out of a movie where the lawyer explains how to make someone look good in the press. Hey, a priest is by Finnerty's side, he can't be a thug, right? But that's the problem, just because your priest or grandma likes you doesn't mean that you're a good person.

Posted by: noah | Apr 25, 2006 5:35:10 PM

17. First of all, the boy is from the U.S.A. and is not Irish except by descent, and maybe only a little at that. The government of the Republic of Ireland is far more receptive to gay equality then our own. Maybe you should read some history to know the atrocious racism my Irish ancestors faced in America, not to mention what they endured from the English in their own land.

Posted by: busytimmy | Apr 25, 2006 5:38:05 PM

18. I went to college with several guys from Chaminade high school, some of whom played lacrosse there. The place breeds assholes.

Posted by: Will | Apr 25, 2006 6:20:47 PM

19. I hope the little Mick Hetero Homophobic piece of sshit gets his life ruined.....LaCrosse players are notoriously self centered and attiudunal, come the revolution they'll wash dishes......for free.

Posted by: puggleboy | Apr 25, 2006 7:34:09 PM

20. It's probably because he's cute in a preppy, jocky kind of way, but I'm almost feeling sorry for young Mr. Finnerty. He's obviously terrified of what could happen and how his life will never be the same again. This could actually be an opportunity for him to "see the light" and learn from his mistakes. He and his dumb-ass little pals will likely receive punishment of one sort or another for the DC incident. As for the rape case? I haven't seen or heard the evidence, nor has anyone else because it hasn't yet been presented to a jury, and there are too many conflicting reports to know what really happened at this point. However, it's not at all unusual for homophobes to feel compelled to prove how straight they are through aggressive action. Happens all the time with jocks who knock each other around during practice -- and then relax in a more mutually enjoyable way over a few beers when they get back to the dorm or frat house. We know from decades of research that homophobia is the reaction of supposedly heterosexual guys who experience homosexual feelings and don't know how to deal with them. Given his all-male high school environment, it's not much of a stretch to believe that's what was troubling Collin Finnerty and friends one night in our nation's crapitol.

Posted by: Mike | Apr 25, 2006 7:44:50 PM

21. Poor thing. I'm sure it was all just a misunderstanding. Don't you guys remember when you were young and did stupid things like beat up on gays? C'mon.....

Posted by: Chad Hanging | Apr 25, 2006 8:02:09 PM

22. Why can't Naomi Campbell beat people up who actually deserve it?

She'd have pricks lke Finnerty in a hospital bed in no time.

Posted by: Jason | Apr 25, 2006 8:53:21 PM

23. Cute?! No. He has a face that only a mother could love. For some reason he just looks arrogant and cocky, as if he knows and doesn't care what any one thinks. He looks like a spoiled brat. I'm not a violent person, but man I just want to reach out and hit that boy till he begs for mercy...

Posted by: CJ | Apr 25, 2006 9:59:40 PM

24. Mike, there are plenty of better things or people to feel sorry for than Finnerty. The boy *had* his chance to "see the light" and learn from his mistakes. It's called the diversion program into which he was inducted without a trial, a conviction or jail time/fine. If he didn't learn from that, it's time for a little stay behind bars. He obviously didn't take the second chance he so graciously was given very seriously, a sure sign of arrogance and thinking one is made of Teflon. Too bad, so sad. Now he fucked up, so I say throw the book at him. "If you can't do the time, don't do the crime..." Obviously he didn't learn "do unto others as ye would have them do unto you" in that "elite Roman Catholic private school" of his.

Posted by: Pitbull | Apr 25, 2006 11:15:50 PM

25. Don't worry CJ, he's starting to look a little worried and I kinda like that look on him.

Posted by: Chad Hanging | Apr 25, 2006 11:25:09 PM