Advertising | Gay Marriage | Justin Willis | New Jersey | News | Robbie Williams | Television | Tennessee Williams

BigGayDeal.com

News: New Jersey Gay Marriage, Hairy Moon, Reichen Sex Assault

road.jpg Is the New Jersey Supreme Court just days away from issuing a landmark gay marriage ruling? "Speculation is rampant because under New Jersey law Chief Justice Deborah Poritz must retire on her 70th birthday, which is Thursday, Oct. 26. It has generally been thought she would want a decision handed down before she retires. But Len Deo, president of the New Jersey Family Policy Council, said the decision could be issued after Poritz retires and still include her vote."

Justin_willisroad.jpg SMU Quarterback Justin Willis reinstated after hate crime accusation. Athletic director: "Several factors have influenced the decision to reinstate Justin. He is remorseful and contrite and has apologized for his actions. He understands that this was not acceptable behavior, and he has been penalized. He has been truthful and cooperative with all authorities involved in gathering facts on this matter. With lessons learned, it's time to move on."

road.jpg White hairy moon rises over Mexico City during Robbie Williams performance at VMAs.

road.jpg The Cleaning Hunk is back, with a few of his friends.

Harold_galeroad.jpg Queer as Folk's Gale Harold is soon to be on Broadway appearing in the new production of Tennessee Williams' Suddenly Last Summer. Playbill talks to Harold about that production and asks him about any perspective he has on his former role as sex-addicted Brian Kinney. Said Harold: "It was full of different experiences. Working with the cast and the directors and pushing myself to places I didn't expect to be in was very positive and difficult and frightening. I'm very grateful that I had the experience to do it. It opened some doors to me. Overall, it was very positive."

road.jpg Tony Blair to give the Beckhams Lord and Lady titles?

road.jpg Reichen Lehmkuhl talked to ABC's Good Morning America on Sunday about closeted life in the U.S. Air Force Academy and a sexual assault that inspired suicidal thoughts: "A bag was put over my head. I was stripped of my clothes. I was forced to do things sexually with two other male cadets. That's when you start having suicidal thoughts, and that's when you start saying, 'Oh my God. I am so stuck in this situation. I can't go to anyone." (video)

Comments

1. Reichen tried to get me to have a threesome with he and Lance last weekend. He is a disgusting PHONY!!!!

Posted by: Brad | Oct 23, 2006 1:52:32 PM

2. How would that make him a "isgusting PHONY!!!!"?

Posted by: Kevin | Oct 23, 2006 1:55:11 PM

3. edit: "disgusting phony" (bad copy and paste)

Posted by: Kevin | Oct 23, 2006 2:00:20 PM

4. He's only a phony if he asked you to assault him - and if he asked you, you wouldn't be assaulting him, because he would be consenting. So I guess he's not a phony.

I'm not a fan of Reichen, by the way - just of logic.

Posted by: Ren B. | Oct 23, 2006 2:04:24 PM

5. Oh please...Wishful thinking! Anyhoo...That was an amazing interview. And he's right saying that the integration of gays and lesbians is no different than that of women and colored people in the early 40's. But then again, this is America and Bush is still president!!

Posted by: Shabaka | Oct 23, 2006 2:07:24 PM

6. My comment about him being a disgusting phony was just an overall observation. Don't associate it with a specific incident, because there are far too many. OVERALL, I think Reichen is a disgusting phony. Got it?

Posted by: Brad | Oct 23, 2006 2:12:31 PM

7. OVERALL, I don't see any indication that he is a disgusting phony (of course, he hasn't tried to coax ME into a 3-way...yet). I do however think that he is a bit of an opportunistic fame-whore. Not the worst example of one, but still...

Posted by: mp | Oct 23, 2006 2:32:26 PM

8. Don't you think there's something disgusting and phony about being an opportunistic fame-whore? In my opinion they go hand and hand. Geez, this is a tough crowd!

Posted by: Brad | Oct 23, 2006 2:35:40 PM

9. We are a tough crowd. Now, about your grammar...

Posted by: LiamOg | Oct 23, 2006 2:43:06 PM

10. If one were cynical, one might suppose that a ruling by the NJSC in favor of gay marriage would be released after the election in order not to charge up the Republican base and give them something to go to the polls with, but who knows... Just don't get your hopes up too high.

Posted by: Anon | Oct 23, 2006 2:44:37 PM

11. Reichen is trying to hold on to the the last of his 15 minutes. Especially now that there's a new famous gay couple out...he and Lance's novelty is wearing thin. I think McCuddly is hotter than the two of them together!

Posted by: Heath | Oct 23, 2006 2:45:28 PM

12. "Reichen Sex Assault" "Moon Made of Cheese" "JFK Still Alive in Secret South American Clinic—Shares Room with Elvis."

One can also see articles refering to Reichen as an "actor," a "movie star," and "THE winner of "The Amazing Race." And then there's his claim, refuted on the Net by his own mother, that Nancy Reagan attended his wedding to that guy he did not win "The Amazing Race" with.

Reichen has been a media subject for soon going on four years. In print, on the Net, textually and in audio form, and on television. He's done three interviews with the Advocate, one with Genre, one with Instinct, a long one with DNA, a long one with DC gay paper MetroWeekly, and countless other gay rags. He's ALWAYS talked about attending the Air Force Academy, has often mentioned a woman officer apparently trying to out him when he was stationed in LA, and there was NEVER the slightest hint about this alleged incident.

True, other celebrities and public figures, usually but not always women, have first discussed such things well into their careers, and given the same answer when asked why: they were/he was "ashamed." The acute difference here is that, again, the terrible results of homophobia in the military have been Reichen's theme for a long time.

I don't know if he was assaulted. I don't know if he wasn't assaulted. I only know that if it did happen he could have used the story to illustrate the hell of DADT in the 2004 interview that accompanied his first Advocate cover, the one in which he and Chip were nude except for an American flag. He could have spoken of it in the 2005 interview that accompanied his second Advocate cover, their "sex issue." Or in any of the other interviews in other places before and since. He could have talked about it on his fishbowl.com radio show. He could have talked about it on his own QTV program.

I only know that what has changed is that he has a book to sell. With one footnote: if it did happen, we can probably be confidant Nancy Reagan wasn't there either.

Posted by: Leland | Oct 23, 2006 2:58:31 PM

13. A site I stumbled across (http://blog.myspace.com/kracklite) said that Reichen's book has this disclaimer: "Some of the events of this book that are portrayed as having happened to me actually happened to others. I integrated their stories into my own to ensure that their stories were told... This story, although based on true events, should not be considered a memoir or an accurate account of events, or a true story."

That's kinda bizarre. Anyone know if it really does?

Posted by: JP | Oct 23, 2006 3:12:40 PM

14. Screw Reichen, gimme some of that Cleaning Hunk!! WOOF!!

Posted by: Wayne | Oct 23, 2006 3:18:31 PM

15. Ask Leland (etc etc).

Posted by: Kevin | Oct 23, 2006 3:18:36 PM

16. Don't you think there's something disgusting and phony about being an opportunistic fame-whore?

Posted by: Brad | Oct 23, 2006 2:35:40 PM

Brad-

Where do you live? EVERYONE is an oportunitstic fame-whore that goes to hollywood. Some are just better marketers of their image than others.

Posted by: Ogden | Oct 23, 2006 3:28:54 PM

17. Brad: they do go hand-in-hand but anna nicole smith obliterated my fame-whore gag-reflex a couple weeks ago, and thus, Reichen doesn't rise to the level of "disgusting" in my book (a book which is being published by doubleday in Spring 2007 and which will reveal for the first time how a bukkake party hosted at my apt. by Danny Pintauro ruined a very rare persian carpet).

Posted by: mp | Oct 23, 2006 3:34:33 PM

18. Ok, I'm sorry but wtf is a bukkake party?

...and isn't Danny Pintauro the useless kid from Growing Pains?

Posted by: Derrick | Oct 23, 2006 4:13:21 PM

19. btw, as a NJ "born and raised" I just wanna say that with all the f*cking gays (especially the well to do double-income-no-kids older ones) in New Jersey, if same-sex marriage becomes reality there is going to be alot of money being thrown around.

But I, for one, will not be able to afford anything on half of their bridal registries.

Posted by: Derrick | Oct 23, 2006 4:16:24 PM

20. Thanks MP, I blew Diet Coke through my nose on that one.

Posted by: FizziekruntNT | Oct 23, 2006 4:36:42 PM

21. Uh, who wouldn't want to be "assaulted" by two hot Air Force guys?

Posted by: Vous | Oct 23, 2006 5:06:15 PM

22. Derrick: You don't want to know.

Posted by: Anon | Oct 23, 2006 5:10:50 PM

23. "Reichen tried to get me to have a threesome with he and Lance last weekend. He is a disgusting PHONY!!!!"

I know just how you feel. I must have said no to Hugh Jackman four or five times this weekend.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Oct 23, 2006 5:33:01 PM

24. This just in: "Lance Bass' Arm Candy Reveals It Was A Judith Leiber Bag That Was Pulled Over His Head At Air Force Academy." Maybe Nancy Reagan WAS there!

Posted by: Leland | Oct 23, 2006 5:39:57 PM

25. I'm appalled at the casual and callous responses to Reichen's admission. As someone raised in a military culture, I can't imagine a greater betrayal than a sexual assault by those I'm supposed to be able to trust to cover my bag. I would place it above "date rape" and even an assualt by a stranger. ...Compounded by the inability to report it, or even seek counselling since that would contravene DADT. And considering the attitude of this culture to either minimalize or dismiss male rape, I'm not surprised at Reichen's reticence to discuss it before. Just look at the jack-ass comments above....

That his attackers might still be in the uniform of this country is disgusting....such "heroes". So much for the Cadets' honor-code. Personally, I'd make such violent sexual assualts (not just sexual "misunderstandings") by service members on fellow officers or enlisted a hanging offense....and I mean "hanging by the neck until dead" hanging....not just a career-stopper, or a pat on the head for "flushin' out them fags..."

Posted by: Ted B. (Charging Rhino) | Oct 23, 2006 8:25:44 PM