Architecture | Barry Diller | New York | News

Barry Diller's Bathroom No Place to Panic

DillerWe watched earlier this year as the headquarters for Barry Diller's InterActive Corp. rose on Manhattan's West Side Highway.

Today Page Six reports that despite rumors Diller's private bathroom in the building was intended to also serve as a bullet-proof panic room in case of attempts to kidnap or harm the mogul, the room serves no function other than to provide a luxurious royal flush.

Of the panic room rumors, Diller said: "Would that it were true. I am more vulnerably attackable in the bathroom than everyone else is at their desks. Not that I particularly want to advertise that."

Now who might want to come after Diller? Certainly not the velvet mafia.

You may have missed...
Frank Gehry: Half Dressed [tr]
As Seen in Provincetown: Part One [tr]

Comments

1. Andy, Andy, Please don't get the untalented and unidimensional gays (i.e., those gays that I have never met, see Archives) stirred up again. Remember the furor the last time you mentioned this fossilized old troll. Now you have upped the ante by referencing the velvet mafia. The flamers will be out in force.

Posted by: rudy | Nov 29, 2006 2:11:08 PM

2. How much does it cost to create a glory hole out of imported marble these days?

Posted by: Leland | Nov 29, 2006 2:30:27 PM

3. Rudy--Yawn.

As for the new building he's moving into, does anyone else think it looks like an igloo? Watching that thing go up over the past summer while riding my bike along the river had me hoping that there was some kind of snowflake glaze over the building until it was finished. Now I see that it is part of the design. UGLY!

Posted by: Steve | Nov 29, 2006 2:30:46 PM

4. ******************IMPORTANT NEWS BREAK****************

Someone save Britney from herself. She is quickly moving into the celebrity discount bin.

Stop the madness!

Posted by: Marty | Nov 29, 2006 2:39:01 PM

5. No one expects The Velvet Mafia!

Posted by: Aatom | Nov 29, 2006 2:41:24 PM

6. I worked a bit on a pitch to create custom animated and video content for a huge lobby LCD screen for this building, a ginormous panoramic screen. The company didn't win, but I can't wait to visit the lobby!

Posted by: ABOMIBOT | Nov 29, 2006 2:48:49 PM

7. Damn! I don't understand. Velvet mafia? Barry Diller? Unidimensional gays? I'm so confused.

Posted by: JT | Nov 29, 2006 2:52:15 PM

8. "I am more vulnerably attackable in the bathroom than everyone else is at their desks. Not that I particularly want to advertise that."

Is that old queen advertising for quickies in the gents room?

Posted by: patrick nyc | Nov 29, 2006 3:34:28 PM