Colorado | News | Religion | Republican Party | Ted Haggard

Ted Haggard Voicemails Analyzed; Pastor Admits to Indiscretions

The Acting Senior Pastor of Ted Haggard's New Life Church, Ross Parsley, told KKTV news Thursday night that there has been "some admission to indiscretion" by Haggard, though he would not give details of the admission. Parsley says that work with "outside overseers" brought out the confession from Haggard.

Voice_expertMeanwhile, 9news brought in a nationally recognized voice expert to analyze two voicemails that Mike Jones claims were Haggard asking him about methamphetamine.

Voicemail 1:

""Hi Mike, this is Art. Hey, I was just calling to see if we could get any more. Either $100 or $200 supply. And I could pick it up really anytime I could get it tomorrow or we could wait till next week sometime and so I also wanted to get your address. I could send you some money for inventory but that's probably not working, so if you have it then go ahead and get what you can and I may buzz up there later today, but I doubt your schedule would allow that unless you have some in the house. Okay, I'll check in with you later. Thanks a lot, bye."

Haggard22Voicemail 2 (Listen - WMV):

"Hi Mike, this is Art, I am here in Denver and sorry that I missed you. But as I said, if you want to go ahead and get the stuff, then that would be great. And I'll get it sometime next week or the week after or whenever. I will call though you early next week to see what's most convenient for you. Okay? Thanks a lot, bye."

Said speech expert Richard Sanders: "This certainly sounds like the same person. If we can find enough words and phrases that match then it's generally accepted by courts that that's the same person." (Listen - WMV)

"Everybody is 100 percent for him, for his family, and for encouraging the process where he gets some great encouragement and spiritual counsel."

Church Leader Says Haggard Admits To Some Indiscretions [kktv]
Voice expert believes Haggard contacted male escort [9news]

Previously
Evangelical Leader Ted Haggard Steps Down After Gay Escort Claims They Had a Sexual Relationship for Three Years [tr]

Comments

1. I'd hit it!

Posted by: CIAFBI | Nov 3, 2006 8:02:32 AM

2. Another hypocrit exposed; let's get them all. The time for "down low" is over. It's time to let the chips fall where they may. It's for our own existence and honor.

Posted by: Bill | Nov 3, 2006 8:04:21 AM

3. Praise the Lord and Pass the Crystal Meth! Amen

Well, obviously, this is all part of the "homosexual agenda" to bring down the right wing Christians and the Republican Party. Yes, that's it!

Posted by: jessejames | Nov 3, 2006 8:07:06 AM

4. I love it! The more people who are outed in hypocritical situations, the more people will have to accept that homosexual sex is a natural occurence.

Posted by: Michael W. | Nov 3, 2006 8:08:24 AM

5. Homophobia seems to be most virulent in self-loathing homosexuals. Whenever I hear an antigay comment I immediately wonder withwhom the homophobe is sleeping or with whom he or she would like to be sleeping. I also wonder about emotionally cruel upbringings, intolerant religious households, and odviously poor parenting. Why anyone would find solace or inspiration in the clearly emotionally distrubed and undereducated rantings of sexually confused self hating homophobe is beyond me.

Posted by: stuart | Nov 3, 2006 8:19:32 AM

6. It's so interesting to think about what lies behind someone's motivation. So textbook.

Apply that to Bush and you come to understand the pathetic need for validation even though he never did the "work" necessary to garner true respect and admiration.

Posted by: Mark | Nov 3, 2006 8:34:17 AM

7. Andy, thanks for you complete coverage of this whole thing as it unfolds.

It continuously amazes me how people will do or say anything to complete dupe the public and obtain power and wealth and then in private embody everything that they've spoken out against.

Posted by: Drew | Nov 3, 2006 8:41:24 AM

8. I came to the realization that I had homosexual tendencies around 13 but I kept it to myself and refused to act on the "urges" until well into my 20's, instead trying to go the straight and narrow route and blanket myself in my church and Faith.

However, unlike Haggard, I did not preach against the gays and I internally sympathized with others who were openly gay, even as I lied about it myself.

The dishonesty, however, took its toll on me pyschologically. I hit rock bottom before I finally came to terms with my sexuality.

My life began when I finally came out. The truth literally set me free.

I have been a Christian my entire life, so I cannot in good conscience cast stones at a man when he's down, BUT I'm not willing to accept him with open arms if he's just going to make excuses for his behavior or turn to the "Ex Gays" for reformation. He has caused countless others pain and heartache beyond his immediate family and congregation. At best, his teachings have confused young gay kids. At worst, his teachings may have contributed to some suicides (statistically it's probable).

That's a lot of wrong to make right.

Posted by: mark m | Nov 3, 2006 8:45:01 AM

9. But he's such a polite hypocrite.

Posted by: chrisb | Nov 3, 2006 8:52:41 AM

10. This is AWESOME! I love it when these hypoctrites get outed.

Posted by: Mike | Nov 3, 2006 8:52:51 AM

11. If this is a vast left-wing conspiracy to bring down the homophobic right wing, then I'm impressed. Our side has never EVER been able to pull off something that requires such careful planning and efficient execution. It must have been done at the grass roots level, because the Dems could never have gotten it together enough to make it work.

Kidding aside, it's just awesome. "What a wicked web we weave... "

Posted by: Brian | Nov 3, 2006 8:57:36 AM

12. Probably a big ol' bottom who couldn't get f**ked enough!

Posted by: dc-20008 | Nov 3, 2006 8:57:39 AM

13. HA-ha! /Nelson

I'm all for letting people stay in the closet. I don't support outing, in general.

But people who are actively being dicks to the gay community? Out 'em.

Sigh, you'd think by now being accepting of gays would be the best thing one could do to assert one's hetersexuality. It's so obvious now that homophobia = repressed internalized homophobia.

Posted by: karashi | Nov 3, 2006 9:05:18 AM

14. It's a terrible shame that this man has hurt so many. Besides his wife and family, there's the members of his congregation. I'm hardly a fan of evangelicals, but they must be hurting. However, what irks me the most is Haggerd's blaming this on election year politics. Even when he was almost caught in the act, he had to continue twisting things around to his warped, right-wing idealology.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Nov 3, 2006 9:06:03 AM

15. That Christian Meth will fuck you up good...stay away from it, kids!

Posted by: Glenn | Nov 3, 2006 9:19:43 AM

16. I saw the acting senior pastor, Rod Parsley, on the morning news today and what was most interesting part to me was that Parsley seemed even more obviously gay than Haggard! Are there ANY heterosexuals in that church?

Posted by: sam | Nov 3, 2006 9:22:42 AM

17. Who knew doing crystal would be fashionable again... [cough]

Posted by: Rad | Nov 3, 2006 9:35:17 AM

18. OMG Sam you beat me to the post... I just saw the same clip and my Gaydar went off the richter scale.

My personal background in an Evangelical church tells me that the answer to your question is, yes they're all "heterosexual".... what they do in the bedroom, however, could confuse that term.

Posted by: mark m | Nov 3, 2006 9:37:59 AM

19. "Homophobia seems to be most virulent in self-loathing homosexuals." My mom, a Midwestern farm woman, always said "you hate the one you love most". People like Haggard are not Christians, just like people like Dubya are not conservatives. They're wolves in sheep's clothing -- just animals with no morals.

Posted by: condihater | Nov 3, 2006 9:39:24 AM

20. Mike in the Tundra, all the hurt that Haggard has caused his wife, his family and his congregation all put together doesn't begin to compare with the hurt he has caused gay kids, gay adults and THEIR families over the many years that he has demonized and marginalized them and made them feel sick, perverted, deviant and less than worthy of God's love all the while living a seedy, secret homosexual life himself.

As I said earlier, I'm anxious to see if he will include gays and their families in his forthcoming tearful confession and begging for forgiveness for the hurt he's caused God, his family and his congregation. I won't be holding my breath!

Congregation: con-gra-GAY-shun a group of Christian evangelicals gathered in one place for the purpose of shunning gays.

Posted by: Zeke | Nov 3, 2006 9:47:42 AM

21. "all the hurt that Haggard has caused his wife, his family and his congregation all put together doesn't begin to compare with the hurt he has caused gay kids, gay adults and THEIR families over the many years"

Amen, Zeke...preach on, brother.

Posted by: Glenn | Nov 3, 2006 9:59:51 AM

22. And let's not forget, even when confronted with what he KNEW was true, he STILL lied and tried feverishly to hold his closet door closed.

The man is pathological.

I will gaurantee you that this is not a man who is going to have a Jim McGreevy, "I am a gay American" moment. You can bet that he will play victim and blame all of his troubles on Satan, the homosexual agenda and Crystal Meth right before shipping himself off for reChristianization and deSatanization therapy. A few months later he will make his very public and triumphant Homo-No-Mo return as the poster boy for Exodus.

And the fundamentalist flock of sheep will eat it up.

He still has every opportunity to use this scandal to further hurt, insult and assault the gay communtiy.

I'm not willing to even consider forgiving him until he takes responsibility for his actions, begs forgiveness for all the damage he's caused me, my family and my community and proves to me that he will turn over a new leaf in the future.

Once again, I'm not holding my breath.

Posted by: Zeke | Nov 3, 2006 10:02:29 AM

23. CNN is reporting that members of Haggard's congregation are upset at the allegations but believe their pastor is innocent.

And this just in... THE SKY IS BLUE.

Posted by: mark m | Nov 3, 2006 10:10:23 AM

24. Zeke: I respect your conviction to your faith and your ability to forgive. I don't share that faith and I refuse to forgive these types of people. What is, essentially, a death-bed conversion has little place in my system of ethics. This creature is like Jimmy Swaggert, Jim Baker. virtually all Pentecostal and COGIC "bishops: et al. They recognized the lucre in religion and they grasp for it. "I'm sorry" doesn't cut it.

I heard Mr. Jones on the radio today. When asked if his revelation was due to the election and politics, he truthfully responded "yes." Cool.

Zeke, you list the demonization that Mr. Haggard does to us, gay people, from his pulpit. Include, in that litany: women who choose to exercise control over their bodies, teachers who teach science instead of superstition, patriots who refuse to accept a Christianization of our government, humanitarians who believe taxation can lead to social progress, and people who choose to see the divine in the face of Vishnu.

There are some evils that can never be forgiven.

Posted by: JT | Nov 3, 2006 10:10:52 AM

25. And more.... Jones failed his lie detector test... We certainly don't know the entire story.. the possibilities are endless....

Haggard is innocent of any wrongdoing (nah!)

Jones isn't the escort who Haggard has been using, but he knows who is and is coming forward in their place.

Haggard bought drugs from Jones but never had sex with him.

Whatever the truth is it matters very little to me what version we are getting... there is STILL something damning for Haggard to resign from both the organization he chairs and the church he built from the ground up. If you're innocent you dont run. PERIOD.

Posted by: mark m | Nov 3, 2006 10:14:39 AM