Film | News | Television

Golden Globe Nominations Announced

Babel

Babel led the pack with seven nominations, including Best Drama and Best Supporting Actor for Brad Pitt. Dreamgirls was nominated for Best Comedy or Musical - Beyoncé, Jennifer Hudson, and Eddie Murphy all received noms in their respective categories. Helen Mirren was nominated in The Queen, which also took a nod for Best Drama.

Check 'em out, after the jump...

BEST DRAMA
Babel
Bobby
The Departed
Little Children
The Queen

BEST COMEDY OR MUSICAL
Borat
The Devil Wears Prada
Dreamgirls
Little Miss Sunshine

BEST ACTOR IN A DRAMA
Leonardo DiCaprio ("Blood Diamond" and "The Departed")
Peter O'Toole ("Venus")
Will Smith ("The Pursuit of Happyness")
Forest Whitaker ("The Last King of Scotland")

BEST ACTRESS IN A DRAMA
Penelope Cruz ("Volver")
Judi Dench ("Notes on a Scandal")
Maggie Gyllenhaal ("Sherry Baby")
Helen Mirren ("The Queen")
Kate Winslet ("Little Children")

BEST ACTOR IN COMEDY OR MUSICAL
Sasha Baron Cohen ("Borat")
Johnny Depp ("Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest")
Aaron Eckhart ("Thank You for Smoking")
Chiwetel Ejiofor ("Kinky Boots")
Will Ferrell ("Stranger Than Fiction")

BEST ACTRESS IN COMEDY OR MUSICAL
Annette Bening ("Running with Scissors')
Toni Collette ("Little Miss Sunshine")
Beyonce Knowles ("Dreamgirls")
Meryl Streep ("The Devil Wears Prada")
Renee Zellweger ("Miss Potter")

BEST DIRECTOR
Clint Eastwood ("Flags of Our Fathers" and "Letters From Iwo Jima")
Stephen Frears ("The Queen")
Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu ("Babel")
Martin Scorsese ("The Departed")

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Ben Affleck ("Hollywoodland")
Eddie Murphy ("Dreamgirls")
Jack Nicholson ("The Departed")
Brad Pitt ("Babel")
Mark Wahlberg ("The Departed").

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Adriana Barraza ("Babel")
Cate Blanchett ("Notes on a Scandal")
Emily Blunt ("The Devil Wears Prada")
Jennifer Hudson ("Dreamgirls")

BEST COMEDY ACTRESS
America Ferrera, Ugly Betty
Marcia Cross, Desperate Housewives
Felicity Huffman, Desperate Housewives
Julie Louis-Dreyfuss, New Adventure of Old Christine
Mary Louise Parker, Weeds

Comments

1. No offense, but this is not the type of story I come to Towleroad to read and I don't understand why you include so many non-gay items. I can read about the Golden Globe nominations anywhere. It's all over the regular news. Otherwise, keep up the good work. Just concentrate more on gay and I'll be happier.

Posted by: ph | Dec 14, 2006 9:13:15 AM

2. Nothing for "The Wire"?!?!?!?!??! Nothing at all?!?!??!?!? I hate the Golden Globes.

peace

Posted by: James | Dec 14, 2006 9:16:40 AM

3. Funny, when I see stories that aren't interesting to me, I simply don't click through...

C'mon.

Posted by: Rey | Dec 14, 2006 9:18:26 AM

4. Hello! The Golden Globes are totally gay - its the Gay World Series (the Oscars are the Gay Super Bowl). I think that's why its on Towleroad.

Posted by: tanhattan | Dec 14, 2006 9:21:15 AM

5. Contrary to PH's comments, I hadn't seen the nominations until I came here, and I'm happy to read about them (and let's face it, awards shows are a little higher on the gay radar than the straight radar).

"Just concentrate more on gay and I'll be happier." - PH, your happiness is important to all of us.

Posted by: jake | Dec 14, 2006 9:22:46 AM

6. PH,

Go sell bitter someplace else. We're all stocked up here.

Posted by: GlobesareGay | Dec 14, 2006 9:26:21 AM

7. Someone forgot to take his medication this morning. Clearly.

I don't read every single story that Andy puts in his blog because I know there are others who do. I'm just thankful the guy is doing this.

Posted by: gabe | Dec 14, 2006 9:30:35 AM

8. I'm with you Jake, am at work and looked everywhere for a list and this is the only place I found it, and did not expect it on here so THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Ben | Dec 14, 2006 9:33:31 AM

9. Babel is an unwatchable mess - the worst movie of the year.
    How nice to see Little Children nominated - it would be even nicer if this movie was finally released in additional theathers.
    Kate Winslet is the best actress of her generation working in movies today. She is extraordinary.

Posted by: Arnie H. | Dec 14, 2006 9:53:01 AM

10. I'm guessing most will disagree, but Battlestar Galactica should have been nominated for best TV drama, unless these awards don't cover cable.

Posted by: Bill | Dec 14, 2006 10:05:45 AM

11. This list of nominations makes me pine for last year at this time, when Brokeback Mountain was all anyone could talk about.

I've seen several of the films listed, The Departed and Last King of Scotland were probably the best of the lot (haven't seen Little Children yet, however.) But none of them hold a candle to last year's offerings - BBM of course, but also Munich, A History of Violence and Capote.

And I agree with Arnie H. above - Babel was the worst high profile film I've seen in five years. I thought it would never end. The trailers made it look very interesting - instead it was coma inducing.

Posted by: AMS | Dec 14, 2006 10:10:35 AM

12. No offense PH, but awards and awards show ARE gay so it is perfectly acceptable that towleroad has it here.

Posted by: Erik | Dec 14, 2006 10:13:13 AM

13. I was on the verge of peeing myself with anticipation over seeing Babel, as Amores Perros and 21 Grams are two of the best movies of the past decade if you asked me (who doesn't know much).
    Sweet Jesus it was a disappointment! That Japanese subplot was nothing short of disaster. When they revealed how it was connected to the other subplots (because you know in an Inarritu film they will)...I wanted to slit my wrists.

Posted by: Greg | Dec 14, 2006 10:26:47 AM

14. Babel had more endings than Lord of the Rings. It just went on and on and on and ..... well you get the idea.

Posted by: matthew | Dec 14, 2006 10:31:03 AM

15. Um, I really liked "Babel". A lot. There's no accounting for taste. Anyway...

Let's not give the Globes too much credibility. Seven words: "Ready to Wear" nominated for Best Picture.

Posted by: bron | Dec 14, 2006 10:35:03 AM

16. PH: you wretched and grumpy little Grinch you... first thing in the morning? Don't threaten: simply DON'T come here, then. You and your uppity swill won't be missed.

Love that shot of Brad all broken up... all I can say is: "Come here, baby. Let me hold you. I'll make it alright."

Jamie Foxx, and his superego, got beat down--no nomination. Eddie stole his thunder.

Posted by: CaliNexus | Dec 14, 2006 10:37:10 AM

17. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU, Arnie & AMS! I'm not insane after all. Well, I probably am—but not when it comes to being totally unable to understand all the raves about "Babel." Raving lunatics is more like it. It wasn't insightful—we already knew the world is fucked because of stupidity and cruelty and centuries of poverty and good people get devoured by it every day. The director is a sadist [who seems determined do make all his own people repeatedly look like modern day savages driving dusty old cars] and anyone who liked it a masochist. After two hours, I said to my friend, "Let the deaf/dumb hallucinating naked teenage girl jump, but if the little boy and the wonderful nanny die I'm out of here."

Posted by: Leland | Dec 14, 2006 10:38:28 AM

18. While I understand the complaints about "Babel", I went into the screening with very low expectations (as I'd heard the film described as "this year's Crash" and I absolutely hated Crash) -- so in the end, while I see the film's faults, I actually quite enjoyed "Babel".

The nightclub/ecstasy sequence with the deaf Japanese girl just might be one of the best, if not most realistic nightclub scenes ever captured on the big screen. Does that warrant a best picture award? Probably not... but I don't think Babel is horrendous -- you just have to ignore the hype and try to judge films on their own merit.

p.s. Jennifer Holliday is an orangutan.

Posted by: FECES | Dec 14, 2006 10:48:16 AM

19. So Leland, tell us how you really feel about the movie? :-)

Posted by: Robert In WeHo | Dec 14, 2006 10:59:16 AM

20. Ryan Gosling was brilliant in "HALF NELSON." It's too bad that movie didn't get any love from the GG's.

Posted by: Efr3n | Dec 14, 2006 11:03:42 AM

21. Whoa. People stop discussing films we haven't seen yet. Babel ain't released over here til the end of January. Even though I didn't like 21 Grams I'm looking forward to it.

Out of all these the one I want to win the most is Michael C Hall for Dexter. Fantastic acting by him and one of the best tv shows I've ever seen.

Posted by: EireKev | Dec 14, 2006 11:25:25 AM

22. Feces, please eat yourself and your vicious racism.

Posted by: Leland | Dec 14, 2006 11:32:34 AM

23. Where's Brokeback Mountain?

Posted by: ellis | Dec 14, 2006 11:43:43 AM

24. I feel so much better after reading these comments. The script to Babel was an absolute nightmare. Horrendous. I could barely sit through it.

Posted by: Bobby | Dec 14, 2006 11:58:32 AM

25. The usual pile of middlebrow crap, mostly.

Posted by: Bill W | Dec 14, 2006 12:39:03 PM