Gay Escort Mike Jones Visits Ted Haggard’s New Life Church

“As soon as the visitor from Denver walked through the church doors Sunday morning, heads turned. Word spread quickly: He was here.”

Mikejones_1As a fact-finding mission for the book he is writing about his experiences with Ted Haggard, gay escort Mike Jones attended a service at Haggard’s New Life Church in Colorado Springs, where he reports he was greeted warmly and offered blessings from the parishioners.

Said Jones, who did not tell media in advance about his visit for fear it would taint the impromptu visit: “I had read a lot about the church, but there’s nothing like seeing it for yourself. It wasn’t to rub anyone’s face in it by any means. I was wanting to get some perspective, to see where they are coming from, what the magnet is…There seems to be something missing, some realism, in my opinion, because it’s so vast, like some kind of self-contained city”

Jones attended with a New York- based theater troupe called the civilians who were in the area “researching a project on evangelicals”.

Jones’ arrival proved emotional for some: “A couple of ladies cried when they were touching me. I was thanked for exposing the church, for helping Ted Haggard. A couple of them said they hoped I get God into my life. And they all said ‘God bless you,’ every one of them.”

Associate pastor Rob Brendle told Jones that he felt God had used the gay escort as a tool to help the church: “I told Mike, ‘I don’t want to impose my religious beliefs on you, but I believe God used you to correct us, and I appreciate that.’ The church’s response to him was overwhelmingly warm. One of the wonderful and enduring truths of Christianity is to love people the world sets up to be your enemies.”

New Life Members Welcome Jones [denver post]
Haggard Accuser Attends New Life Service [krdo denver]

Background…
Evangelical Leader Ted Haggard Steps Down After Gay Escort Claims They Had a Sexual Relationship for Three Years [tr]
Ted Haggard Voicemails Analyzed; Pastor Admits to Indiscretions [tr]
Mike Jones Fails Lie Detector Test on Ted Haggard But Test Administrator Doubts Test’s Accuracy [tr]
Ted Haggard: Bought Meth, Didn’t Use It; Received Massage, No Sex [tr]
Ted Haggard Letter: “I am Guilty…a Deceiver and a Liar” [tr]

Comments

1. Brian says

“Oh, thank you thank you thank you for exposing our pastor as a filthy sodomite, and for making it possible for Ted to get the ex-gay therapy he so clearly needs!”

Yeah. Those folks are soooooo kind. Just remember that once they stop blowing sunshine up your ass, they’ll do everything in their power to ensure that you and I have second-class citizenship in every way possible. That’s brave of Mike to make the trip, but don’t drink the Kool-Aid, girl.

2. Leland says

Hmmmm, I think I’ve heard of this kind of love before. They loved us as they burned us at the stake in the Middle Ages. They loved us as they hung us in the 17th through 19th centuries. They then loved us as they sent us to prison for life. Gott mit them Nazis loved us as they tried to convert us to decent baby producers for the Reich. The concentration camp doctors loved experimenting on us for that. Back in the US, Gott worked on American hearts so they loved us as they reduced mandatory sentences to, say, 30 years, and began to put us into mental hospitals instead, where, no German accent required, they loved us as they lobotomized us, injected us with massive doses of hormones, gave us electro shock or nausea-inducing drug “therapy.” The very loving Mormons, you know, like Mitt Romney, were doing the latter as recently as the 70s and possibly later.

With the faith of his fathers, wrapped in the flag and swathed in piety, Ronald Reagan and his brownshirts loved us as they let us die by the tens of thousands.

Fresh from Sunday School, they love us as they defend their little stormtroopers in training, I mean their kids, for–in Jesus’ name–knocking kids at school they think are gay to the floor and urinating on them. They love us as they go to court to stop teachers from putting up obviously Satan-driven signs like “Hate Free Zone” or even mentioning homosexuality.

They love their own defenseless gay kids as they terrorize them into hating themselves and send them to loving “therapists” and Jesus-juiced camps for professional love by paid terrorists and soul killers. The father in Florida a couple of years ago who beat his two year old repeatedly to “toughen” the potential for being gay out of him loved him mightily as he lapsed into a coma while daddy and mommy were at Bible study. I’m sure they loved him as they buried him.
    The devoutly religious, born again Senator Brownback, running for President as an EVEN MORE “compassionate conservative” than Herr Bush loves us so much he doesn’t know whether to shit or go blind as he, and thousands of others, defecates on our civil liberties and campaigns to take his own blindness to our equality just the way we fucking are to the White House.

Thanks, Haggardites, but I’ve had all your love I can take.

3. says

I find this story rather inspiring, actually. I certainly don’t approve of how many in that congregation view my sexuality, but their ability to find love and forgiveness in their hearts for a man who effectively ripped one of the pillars of their organization out fron under them strikes me as true to their stated belief system. When compared with much of the vitriol and judgmental behavior coming from so many Christians who seem to have completely forgotten the core of Jesus’ teachings, I find that to be an optimistic sign.

4. anon says

It’s true that there is a high degree of elliptical thinking on the part of evangelicals, but Jones wasn’t treated badly. I’m sure they don’t want any more bad publicity for one, or Ted Haggards for another. Hopefully, Jones, not exactly a trained journalist, will find out what people are really thinking there.

5. Mark says

I hope God saves them both. lol

Religion is nothing more than a tool for keeping people in line. Spirituality fosters love and understanding. Once you figure that out, everyone will be in a better place.

6. says

Your voice, Leland, is the voice of my generation! I’m happy to hear someone “tell it like it is” and not blow smoke up some religious wack0’s ass in fear of “not going to heaven”….. Heaven is the arms of my partner, and Jesus is the chocolate cake (minus the carbs, smirk) we had for desert!

7. says

AMEN! As a gay Christian I can’t tell you how many boyfriends I have lost because of my beliefs. There’s this stigma that the church is this big hating machine. NOT TRUE! It’s not the whole church! There are wackos like Pat Robertson and Ted Haggard but Christ’s message was about LOVE FOR EVERYONE!

I appreciate this church for being so open towards both Mike and the Theater Troupe that attended service.

8. Lukey says

All I can think of when I see Mike Jones is how badly I want to screw him. God, I LOVE older men who keep their bodies nice (and a few who don’t). That man can pull up my lap and take a seat whenever he wants to!