Beyoncé | Christina Aguilera | Justin Timberlake | Music | News | Towleroad Guide to the Tube

BigGayDeal.com

Towleroad Guide to the Tube: Grammy Edition

A few of the stand-out performances from last night at the Grammys: Christina Aguilera in a stunning tribute to James Brown, Justin Timberlake sings "What Comes Around Goes Around", Beyoncé wants you to "Listen", and Shakira and Wyclef tell the truth with their hips.

And, a short clip of the Dixie Chicks.....below, who picked up five Grammys including Best Country Album, Record, and Song of the Year for "Not Ready to Make Nice". It was an encouraging, defiant win, given the Chicks outspoken stance against the Iraq war and the Bush administration.

And here is the list of winners.

Check out our past guides to the Tube here!

Comments

1. Andy, for once I have to disagree with one of your highlight selections. Beyonce's performance of "Listen" was mediocre at best, IMO, far suprassed by the John Legend, Corinne Bailey Rae, and John Mayer sequence. Christina was indeed amaaaazing.

Posted by: rascal | Feb 12, 2007 10:08:05 AM

2. I agree with Rascal. Beyonce sounded great, and the blue trio was amazing. But I have to say, as a gay and seemingly PROGRESSIVE blog, a lack of a mention of the Dixie Chicks finally be rewarded for an amazing album when country still ignores them because they spoke their minds, shows an over-emphasis on the gay. The chicks have more impact on our community than any of these performers, except Christina.

Posted by: chrisnyc | Feb 12, 2007 10:14:38 AM

3. Christina channeled James Brown last night. She was the star of the show to me. I also thought Gnarls Barkley was great and appropriately weird, and it was marvelous seeing Smokey Robinson and Lionel Richie again, both sounded as good as they used to.

Posted by: Gregoire | Feb 12, 2007 10:24:52 AM

4. ChrisNYC,

I agree with you on the Dixie Chicks - I just couldn't locate a video of their performance.

Posted by: andy | Feb 12, 2007 10:29:44 AM

5. Just found a short clip, comin' at ya.

Posted by: andy | Feb 12, 2007 10:51:11 AM

6. People still care about the grammies? They're a bigger popularity popularity contest than the emmys, golden globes, and oscars combined.

Posted by: burnssuit | Feb 12, 2007 11:01:15 AM

7. >Dixie Chicks........ "Not
    >Ready to Make Nice". It was an
    >encouraging, defiant win, given
    >the Chicks outspoken stance
    >against the Iraq war and
    >the Bush administration.

Why? Sorry I don't see this as a "defiant win." First of all, they did make nice. They completely backpedalled on their "outspoken" statements and apologized. Second, that is such old news... Nice timing. Third, since when would criticizing a politician keep anyone from earning an artistic award? Sheesh.

Posted by: none@none.com | Feb 12, 2007 11:05:00 AM

8. I love at the end of Christina's performance, camera pans to Jamie Foxx and he's all like- "bitch can sing".

Posted by: nick | Feb 12, 2007 11:06:00 AM

9. "As a concerned American citizen, I apologize to President Bush because my remark was disrespectful. I feel that whoever holds that office should be treated with the utmost respect," Maines said in her latest statement.

Posted by: none@none.com | Feb 12, 2007 11:23:05 AM

10. Granny Awards! Tony Bennett/Stevie Wonder is POP?

John Mayer is to MOR Adult, not POP.

Madge won for Dance Album tho.

Slag on.

Posted by: mark | Feb 12, 2007 12:06:54 PM

11. Smokey Robinson looked vaguely like Mary Tyler Moore and Faye Dunaway.

Posted by: gabe | Feb 12, 2007 12:14:45 PM

12. I've got to say that, for once, I missed and awards show and am upset about it.

The Dixie Chicks performance looked fantastic, but Christina - girl had it all going on. I can't think of another living artist that could have channelled the great James Brown like she did with that performance.

Good for the Grammys for putting on a good show.

Posted by: Alan | Feb 12, 2007 1:09:05 PM

13. Agreed Christina was spectacular - she sang the damn song it was her night performance wise though the Legend/Rae/Mayer Trio was my favorite and Mary managed to find a note and keep it for most of her performance so good for her! Chris Brown is a cutie and a fantastic dancer (Michael Jackson lives!)

I wish the Dixie Chicks had been a little more articulate during at least one of their acceptance speeches - maybe they were genuinely shocked but it seemed like a wasted opportunity.

Posted by: Giovanni | Feb 12, 2007 1:22:36 PM

14. I'm confused as to how "Crazy" can lose record of the year just to give the Chicks a sweep.

Posted by: 000000 | Feb 12, 2007 1:39:51 PM

15. Why no mention of Madonna winning Best Dance/Electronic Album? That surely merits mention on a "gay" blog!

Posted by: Clint | Feb 12, 2007 1:41:06 PM

16. Also while Anthony Kiedis remains infintely fuckable when did the Chili Peppers become Muzak?

Posted by: Giovanni | Feb 12, 2007 2:23:28 PM

17. I LOVE THE DIXIE CHICKS (and this from a Radiohead, Autolux, White Stripes loving alterna-boy)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And Giovanni...I agree...the Chili Peppers are Muzak at this point, but Anthony Kiedis remains immenseley fuckable. I once had the pleasure of riding in an elevator at Hotel Mercer in NYC with Anthony and two of his buddies...man is that guy HOT!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: peterparker | Feb 12, 2007 2:35:30 PM

18. Peterparker! I couldn't have said it better. And I'm SO glad he grew his hair back out.

Xtina was off the hook. Best performance of the night, hands down. It was so good I even pardoned that horrid extension job (looking like someone glued the floorscraps from the salon to the side of her head).

How many times do we have to remind Beyonce that she's the "Crazy In Love" chic, NOT the "I Will Always Love You" diva? Speaking of, what happened with J-Hud? Did she suddenly forget how to read a teleprompter?

Legend+Corinne+JM was the best performance until Xtina's. I could have just had them perform for the rest of the show.

I really dig Justin Timberlake...except when he sings. Am I the only one who finds his voice irritating, especially live? I love him for everything else--just no singing.

I loved how the show was basically an old school throwdown from classic R&B to classic country to classic rock. It was definately one of the better Grammy shows of the past 5 years.

Posted by: Derrick | Feb 12, 2007 9:50:46 PM

19. The Grammys were a snoozefest again.

Christina was going good at the beginning until she screamed that horrible high note at around the 1:52 mark. The spell was permanently broken.
    "Channeling James Brown"? Hardly.
    APING JB is more like it.

Red Hot Chili's were boring no matter how much jumping around they did. And really, they are getting too long-in-the-tooth for those skaters clothes.

Smokey Robinson has had so much plastic surgery that his face looked like it was pencil drawn in a permanent look of surprise. Yawn.
    Lionel Richie- Double yawn.

Legend and Corinne were did good solos but by the time they teamed up with Meyer, it just felt like one lonnnnnng segment.

Mark you hit it right on the head...the GRANNY Awardzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Posted by: soulbrotha | Feb 12, 2007 10:58:56 PM

20. What about Sting in that sleeveless V-necked number? A rather regrettable wardrobe choice, exacerbated by the spiky bottled blonde do.

Posted by: moi | Feb 13, 2007 3:16:04 AM