Canada | Christian Chavez | Gay Marriage | I'm Gay | Mexico | Music | News

BigGayDeal.com

Mexican Pop Star Christian Chavez : I'm Gay

Christian_chavezChristian Chavez, a member of the Mexican pop band RBD, came out of the closet late last week after an internet site published photographs showing the 22-year-old marrying his partner in Canada in 2005. Chavez is now the most high-profile Mexican entertainer to openly acknowledge that he is gay.

Chavez told fans in a letter posted on the group's website that he had not come out previously for fear of "rejection" and "criticism" and how it might affect his family.

RBD, which Reuters reports "grew out of the television soap opera Rebelde (Rebel), set in an elite Mexico City boarding school where the three boy and three girl members of the group starred as students who go against the grain by starting a band," has been hugely succesful in Latin America.

Mexican gay rights activist Sergio Villareal praised Chavez: "This young man represents a new way of seeing things, less prejudiced and more open. Christian Chavez's decision symbolizes this new way of seeing life and raises hope of a more inclusive future with more respect for differences."

Read Chavez' entire statement after the jump...

Message from Christian Chavez:

"On March first 2007 certain photographs were released that show a part of me, a part that I was not prepared to speak of in fear of rejection, of criticism, but especially for my family and its consequences.

I think it’s time to grow up, not only as a human being, but also as an artist.

I believe love is the purest feeling that exists and in this career filled with loneliness, having the opportunity to share those moments with someone, that when you look into their eyes, you forget all the negative things, it’s a gift of life, that I cherish more than fame.

I don’t want to keep on lying and lie to myself because of fear, I love what I do and singing is my life, my passion. I would never dream of doing anything else. I feel bad for not having shared this withall my fans before, as they are the ones that worry and it is because of them that I decided to be honest.

Hopefully they will be able to see beyond this note, and realize that I am a human being just like any other, with defects and virtues. I don’t think this is a defect, I won’t deny it.

I ask the press to respect my family and myself, through this letter. There will be no future statements.

Although I’m scared and filled with uncertainty I know that I can rely on the support of my fans, their love is bigger than all of this. I ask them from the bottom of my heart, not to judge me for being honest and to feel proud of who they are and never make the same mistake I did.

¡Tolerance to diversity¡"

Comments

1. Oh really? What a surprise!!

Posted by: mike | Mar 5, 2007 9:48:03 AM

2. His character on Rebelde was ashamed of his parents humble origins and he denied his own mother.
    With minor adjustments his story line could have been about living in the closet.
    Kudos to Christian for his courage!

Posted by: brian | Mar 5, 2007 10:32:44 AM

3. Aww, he's cute. I'm glad he was open and honest about it. I know he didn't exactly choose to come out of the closet, but the more and more people who do - the better we are off as a society. The stigma has to be removed and that can only happen when the closet no longer exists.

Posted by: ryan | Mar 5, 2007 11:31:32 AM

4. It will be nice when celebrities come out just for the hell of it and not only when they're about to be outed and want to be able to control the spin.

Posted by: Matt | Mar 5, 2007 12:05:49 PM

5. I saw the pictures of his 2005 Canadian wedding. That's a big secret to keep if you're as public a persona as he is.

My impression is that this is on a whole different scale in Latin America than the Lance Bass coming out was here.

Still, if one is independently wealthy, I agree, one should come out, regardless of the circumstances.

Posted by: John | Mar 5, 2007 12:22:04 PM

6. ...but who wouldn't want to "control the spin" when it's your damn private life someone wants to speak or write about in public?

Posted by: yeahisaidit | Mar 5, 2007 1:37:27 PM

7. I think the letter said it all. He obviously knows his feelings and what his life is like and can express it well. I wish him the best!

Posted by: Jack! | Mar 5, 2007 3:47:33 PM

8. The basic gravity of the situation is that Christian Chavez RBD has emerged from the closet.

His group is worshiped by millions of kids in Mexico, Center and south America including millions of Spanish speakers in the U.S.

Canada and throughout the world. In these groups of millions are hundred of thousands who have had no one to identify with because they are gay.

Christian Chavez and RBD can turn this around and save possibly save hundreds of gay youth from suicide because of low self esteem though Latin American.

DonPato
    GayMexicoNetwork

Posted by: DonPato | Mar 5, 2007 10:22:45 PM

9. Well here we go again, another one that is OMG gay. Don't know who it is or really care my point being we should just let them, with out the bells and whistles. I came out in the can at the downtown Ottawa library no bells and whistles just a let's do it again.

Just a thought.

Posted by: Dr. Pat | Mar 6, 2007 7:41:52 AM

10. I think that we should support Christian because he is a good person. we shouldn't judge him just because he is gay,he is still the same person that we all know.

Posted by: lizbeth | Mar 8, 2007 7:11:40 PM