AIDS/HIV | Election 2008 | John McCain | News | Republican Party

John McCain Not Sure if Condoms Stop Spread of HIV

AIDS has only been around, of course, for 25 years, so why should John McCain be expected to have a position on it?

John_mccainOn a tour bus in Iowa on Friday, McCain was posed with a few questions regarding his position on the distribution of taxpayer-subsidized condoms in Africa, as well as grants for sex education in the U.S., and finally, whether or not contraceptives help stop the spread of STDs.

Here's how the dialogue went, according to The Caucus blog:

Q: “So no contraception, no counseling on contraception. Just abstinence. Do you think contraceptives help stop the spread of HIV?”

Mr. McCain: (Long pause) “You’ve stumped me.”

Q: “I mean, I think you’d probably agree it probably does help stop it?”

Mr. McCain: (Laughs) “Are we on the Straight Talk express? I’m not informed enough on it. Let me find out. You know, I’m sure I’ve taken a position on it on the past. I have to find out what my position was. Brian, would you find out what my position is on contraception – I’m sure I’m opposed to government spending on it, I’m sure I support the president’s policies on it.”

Q: “But you would agree that condoms do stop the spread of sexually transmitted diseases. Would you say: ‘No, we’re not going to distribute them,’ knowing that?”

Mr. McCain: (Twelve-second pause) “Get me Coburn’s thing, ask Weaver to get me Coburn’s paper that he just gave me in the last couple of days. I’ve never gotten into these issues before.”

As of early 2006, AIDS has killed over 25 million people worldwide, according to the World Health Organization. The "Straight Talk Express" rides again...

McCain Stumbles on H.I.V. Prevention [the caucus blog]

Comments

1. Yet another reason why I think John McCain is priamrily a weasel in senator's clothing. What a dick.

Posted by: Bill | Mar 19, 2007 11:43:18 AM

2. Wow, that's some pretty impressive willful ignorance.

Posted by: adamblast | Mar 19, 2007 11:47:00 AM

3. Who let him out of the asylum? Let's all pray he keeps making absurd statements and is exposed for the moron he really is.

Posted by: FizziekruntNT | Mar 19, 2007 11:48:26 AM

4. "I’m not informed enough on it. Let me find out. You know, I’m sure I’ve taken a position on it on the past. I have to find out what my position was." What the fuck!!! IDIOT!!

Posted by: tommy | Mar 19, 2007 11:52:10 AM

5. Weasel indeed! He's such a pandering creep. Happily, his politcal fortunes seems to be going as well as the Iraq war he seems to adore.

Posted by: Martin | Mar 19, 2007 11:57:06 AM

6. ...and this is why kids think you can get pregnant from kissing...

Posted by: bob-e | Mar 19, 2007 12:00:09 PM

7. Love it that the word "Straight" is emblazoned over his head in this pic. Says it all.

Posted by: Raybob | Mar 19, 2007 12:01:53 PM

8. Let's hope he doesn't stumble into the presidency.

Posted by: Ed | Mar 19, 2007 12:06:58 PM

9. Nice to see a politician can think for himself on something as basic as contraception. Do people honestly want that in control of our entire country?

Posted by: MT | Mar 19, 2007 12:07:45 PM

10. he needs to retire.

Posted by: A.J. | Mar 19, 2007 12:09:30 PM

11. What a total dumbass. Where has he been for the last 25 years? Contraception isn't just important for HIV prevention, even if he doesn't give a shit about the millions who've died of the disease. It also prevents LOTS of other diseases, as well as unwanted pregnancies.

And people are still interested in this guy? I don't get it. Every time he opens his mouth he reveals himself to be even more ignorant. We've already seen what happens when we elect an ignorant zealot to office. Let's not do it again, please.

Posted by: Brian | Mar 19, 2007 12:11:50 PM

12. Remember folks he is just a dumb ass pretty boy son of THE MILITARY COMMANDER of the VIETNAM WAR.

Once a right wing MILITARY PRETTY BOY now just a rambling old man.

The ONLY thing REAL about him is his belief that he should be President at any cost.

Posted by: rjp3 | Mar 19, 2007 12:40:09 PM

13. “Get me Coburn’s thing, ask Weaver to get me Coburn’s paper that he just gave me in the last couple of days."

You mean Tom "Lesbianism-runs-rampant-in-high-school-bathrooms" Coburn? The fucking crackpot from OK? This just solidifies how much of a Pander Bear McCain is. What an asshole.

Posted by: Tread | Mar 19, 2007 12:45:45 PM

14. Is being a completely ignorant idiot in regards to the HIV crisis a prerequisite for acquiring a republican senate seat? This comes close to Bill Frist (a FUCKING DOCTOR) claiming he did not know if HIV could be transmitted through sweat and tears. Ugh...this is easily the greatest health crisis of the last century and we have a bunch of pandering dumbasses who are more concerned about preserving their fundamentalist base than saving human lives.

Posted by: scientitian | Mar 19, 2007 1:12:52 PM

15. It is a sad illustration of the fact that Politicians are so focussed on winning for their party that they can no longer take a position on anything without checking the statistics to see whether that position will win or lose them votes. Lets remember that there is a large sector of voters who would write a candidate off for daring to promote the use of contraceptives as it would be deemed to promote promiscuity and therefore be un-christian (another discussion). It is sad and backward to claim that contraceptives do not help reduce the transmission of STD's and any sentient human being realizes this, unfortunately both the Republican & Democratic party are more concerned with not upsetting the moral majority and so crazy policies which cut funding of contraceptives to African countries are enforced & real people suffer as a result. Lets hope that this country moves away from its current 2(?lol?) party system, and that more people stand as independents. It is clear that both parties now in existence are part of the same beast, only interested in getting in to power, separated in reality by little else other than a name. Let's remember the democratic candidates reluctance to take a stance recently on whether Gay's are immoral. Please Canditates grow some Balls!!!

Posted by: Devil &The Deep Blue Sea | Mar 19, 2007 1:16:14 PM

16. And in another observation on McCain pandering to the conservative wing, how about having his wife sitting by his side in each of the bus interview clips I've seen - always silent, always looking dutifully at John, always perfectly-coiffed. Pretty Stepfordesque.

Posted by: Kurt | Mar 19, 2007 1:34:49 PM

17. Well let's hope it's not Hillary vs. McCain, because that would put him in the White House.

Posted by: Gregg | Mar 19, 2007 1:36:46 PM

18. Pitiful...another spineless senator.

Posted by: vince | Mar 19, 2007 1:39:53 PM

19. He's clearly an idiot, and clearly IGNORANT.

But he gets a point or two for behind honest about his stupidity, which is more than I can say for most politicians, demo or republican.

Posted by: tom | Mar 19, 2007 1:54:57 PM

20. "(I don't know what position is but) I'm sure I support the president's policies on it."

And with that, McCain is officially the dumbest candidate in the running.

Posted by: mark m | Mar 19, 2007 2:04:20 PM

21. oops, looks like the dementia's rearing its ugly head.

Posted by: sean | Mar 19, 2007 2:04:28 PM

22. I'd have to agree with Tom, I think it was responsible of him to say "I don't know" and ask a staffer to do some research on it. I consider politicians that pretend to know everything and are unwilling to accept input as being a lot more dangerous.

Posted by: mlomker | Mar 19, 2007 2:19:49 PM

23. Somebody needs to go back to 6th grade health class.

Posted by: FanGirlHater | Mar 19, 2007 2:46:37 PM

24. I hope the mainstream media picks up on this, cause there is need for much discussion on this topic.

But really this is scary stuff coming from a potential future president of the country (and person who's going to make the decisions effecting the healthcare of millions of Americans).

Posted by: Da | Mar 19, 2007 3:47:25 PM

25. Yeah I think it would also be honest of him to say "I don't know" about issues like the Earth revolving around the sun, the link between cigarette smoking and cancer, and Newton's laws of physics. That way, we could see more easily that he is waaaaay out of touch with even the most basic general knowledge and is therefore absolutely unfit to become president.

If he didn't know how to conjugate verbs in Aramaic, that would be one thing. Not knowing that condoms prevent STDs is quite another.

Next...