Film | Global Warming | John Travolta | News

BigGayDeal.com

John Travolta: Global Warming Hypocrite?

Travolta_planes

As five Travolta-owned planes sat on runways at various airports around the world, including the private one at his home (above), John Travolta expounded on the importance of helping the environment shortly after smoking down the red carpet at the Wild Hogs premiere on a Harley Davidson.

Said Travolta: "It [global warming] is a very valid issue. I'm wondering if we need to think about other planets and dome cities. Everyone can do their bit. But I don't know if it's not too late already. We have to think about alternative methods of fuel. I'm probably not the best candidate to ask about global warming because I fly jets. I use them as a business tool though, as others do. I think it's part of this industry – otherwise I couldn't be here doing this and I wouldn't be here now."

For Travolta, there are convenient ways to explain everything, even if they don't make very much sense.

According to the Daily Mail: "Travolta's five private planes – a customised £2million Boeing 707, three Gulfstream jets and a Lear jet – are kept at the bottom of his garden in the US next to a private runway...Clocking up at least 30,000 flying miles in the past 12 months means he has produced an estimated 800 tons of carbon emissions – nearly 100 times the average Briton's tally."

You may have missed...
The Guys in Wild Hogs are So Not Gay [tr]

Comments

1. Oh look... Miss Travolta lives in an airport. How cozy.

I wonder if there's a food court.

Posted by: Brian | Mar 30, 2007 12:01:38 PM

2. Scientologists shouldnt be held to the same standards as everybody else anyway.

They believe that we are all aliens.

They obviously can't be counted as mentally capable to use quality environmental practices. Its ok John..Stay at home with your planes and your fake bride..we understand..and tell Tom to let Katie out of the house once in a while..slavery is illegal.

Posted by: Kit | Mar 30, 2007 12:07:04 PM

3. Jet fuel stinks, why would you want it next to your house?

Actually, the hypocrisy would only become apparent if he told everyone THEY had to cut back on carbon use, rather than a general bromide against carbon and global warming. He's a pilot, not a rocket scientist, so we would take his advice why?

Posted by: anon | Mar 30, 2007 12:11:02 PM

4. Silly story. Who cares about his opinion unless it's in regards to a Welcome Back Kotter reunion.

Posted by: Wayne | Mar 30, 2007 12:28:31 PM

5. Andy, I'm hearing some real RIGHT-WING Rush Limbaugh here.

John Travolta and Al Gore are telling the world the unvarnished truth about global warming. Don't confuse the message with the messenger! There are plenty of people riding bikes to work who also are saying that global warm is a REAL GENUINE PROBLEM. The scientific community speaks with one voice on this issue --with the exception of a few paid-for "scientists" from the oil industry and Bush's "EPA".

So what if John Travolta pollutes more than you and I do... he shouldn't! But that doesn't diminish the soundness of his message.

Andy, I commute by bicycle to and from work and am very "green" in my behavior. I also would tell you that GLOBAL WARMING is a serious problem... The message Travolta and I are sending is the same message... the fact that Travolta is a great polluter doesn't diminish the veracity of the message AND the focus should be on the message .... not the messenger! Travolta should be criticized for not living his personal life in accord with lowering greenhouse gases, but that doesn't mean his message is wrong.

If a child rapists says raping children is wrong, do you disbelieve him because he has raped children??

Posted by: dancob@aol.com | Mar 30, 2007 12:40:03 PM

6. Finally somebody else is saying what I've been thinking for a long while. All these celebs like Leonardo DiCaprio and the rest who take hybrid cars to the Oscars to try and indimidate the public, but fly around the world on private planes, which burn a whole lot of jet fuel to fly very few people in grand style. Hypocrisy runs rampant in Hollywood!

Posted by: it's about time | Mar 30, 2007 12:44:12 PM

7. Travolta's attitude towards global warming is in line with his approach to sexuality: make certain choices to cement a public image, but make opposing choices in private.

Posted by: Charlie | Mar 30, 2007 12:54:15 PM

8. I hate this closet case!....but that house is so BUTT UGLY!..he can't get anything "straight" !

Posted by: tc | Mar 30, 2007 1:09:29 PM

9. [comment removed - off topic]

Posted by: merle | Mar 30, 2007 1:12:21 PM

10. The hypocricy is overwhelming.

Interesting, following 9/11, when all air travel in the US was grounded, scientists found an immediate drop in the green house gasses over our continent, and a marked drop in the overall temperature.

Onto JT; the 707, once the workhorse of the industry, was identified as a HORRIBLE polluter, and compared to modern jets, quite the gas guzzler. From the US fleets, they have more or less all been fazed out, replaced with 737's and now the 777's. With all his billions of dollars, if he wanted to do his part, he could easily dump his high-polluting, gas burning fleet for state-of-the-art, fuel efficient jets and planes.

As for the Harley. They are to motorcyclists what Corvettes are to car drivers. Mostly ridden by men who are trying too damn hard to overcompensate for a shortfall elsewhere. I have no use for these people, or the straight-pipe crowd in general. Inconsiderate morons, one and all.

Rad

Posted by: Rad | Mar 30, 2007 1:13:31 PM

11. Liberal hypocrisy? Nonsense!

I'm sure Mr. Travolta has purchased the requisite number of "carbon offsets" (probably from The Goreacle himself) to make everything okee-dokee.

Posted by: Tom | Mar 30, 2007 2:02:00 PM

12. Rad: Harley's have very good gas mileage though.

Posted by: anon | Mar 30, 2007 2:23:43 PM

13. ah, sweet hypocrisy. Travolta says that global warming is a problem yet jets around 30k miles a year. Republicans claim to be the party of 'values,' yet Gingrich, Cunningham and so so many others are poster boys for the sins of adultery, greed and so so much more. Haggard rails against the sins of homosexuality and sneaks off to visit his male prostitute and get high.

Yes, hypocrisy knows no idealogical bounds... yet somehow I'm not sure Travolta's hypocrisy really matters in the larger scheme of things compared to the some others...

Posted by: Trey | Mar 30, 2007 2:46:39 PM

14. Actually, temperatures in North America increased overall when flights were haulted after 9/11 - jet contrails block a substantial amount of sunlight which results in less light heating the lower atmosphere (called global dimming). Ironically, light scattering pollutants (vapor, dust, etc.) have probably reduced the effect of global warming...but these days the amount of greenhouse gas is increasing as the level of these pollutants decreases. CO2 ain't as dirty as used to be, but it's still CO2.

Posted by: scientitian | Mar 30, 2007 3:01:51 PM

15. Let me see if I understand this...someone speaks up about global warming and they all of a sudden can't fly, drive or have a big house?

HTF (how the fuck) do you think Gore got to Europe last month - swam?

And I highly doubt that Travolta takes the jet to pick up a jug of milk - parking would be hell.

Posted by: mark | Mar 30, 2007 3:56:37 PM

16. Too funny. Don't forget the nine cars parked in the several parking spaces, and this is just one of his houses. Not to mention the gas coming from his fat ass.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Mar 30, 2007 7:32:18 PM

17. Even though I agree he's a total hypocrite with questionable psychological and philosophical beliefs (I'm mean come on scientology?) but his claims are still true. Logically you can't judge him b/c that would be an Ad hominem inconsistency. I mean yes he's a hypocrite but his truth claims are still accurate and it's considered illogical to judge a truth claim on whether or not the one espousing it actually follows it; it still may be true regardless.

Posted by: simon | Mar 30, 2007 11:27:31 PM

18. I decree that from hence forth only the poor and ignored shall show their concern about global warning!

Posted by: Toto | Mar 31, 2007 11:32:19 PM

19. The truth of Global Warming can be found in this video.

Posted by: Ted | Apr 1, 2007 2:54:57 AM

20. I'm not a fan of John Travolta, but let's pay attention to the nuances of his statement instead of letting our biases dictate our opinions of what he's saying.

Nothing about his statement makes him a hypocrite. He was asked about global warming, an issue that he clearly isn't a huge advocate of. He didn't volunteer it of his own accord! What else was he going to say? Sucks to the planet?

"I'm probably not the best candidate to ask about global warming because I fly jets."

So the gist of his statement is that we should do something about global warming but he's not sweating it. He likes jets, so ask the question to someone else. I really don't see anything unfair in his statement.

Posted by: david | Apr 1, 2007 7:36:03 AM

21. I'm seeing a lot right-wing methods of journalism in this story, which is to personally attack the messanger instead of debating the issue at hand.

Andy if someone forwarded you this story, be careful you're not being used by the neocons as one of the many tools for their propaganda.

Posted by: Anon | Apr 1, 2007 9:38:29 PM