Film | Joseph Gordon-Levitt | News | Photography

Gay Frame-Up: Joseph Gordon-Levitt Takes "Pictures of A**holes"

An interesting video from our friends over at Salon. Joseph Gordon-Levitt turns the tables on the paparazzi and manages to turn in a mini-investigative piece on the motives behind their madness. Here's a brief transcript of a portion of the exchange, which goes from confrontation, to investigation, to flirtation:

Paparazzi 1: "People are fascinated by the world of celebrity. I'm sure you understand that. I'm sure you have fans who like to look at pictures of whomever, you're a fan of...and, you know say, oh, look what he's wearing, look what she's wearing, or look who they're fucking, or whatever. Are you an amateur filmmaker by chance? What are you doing?...Do you really want the truth of why we went after the shot so aggressively?

JGL: Okay sure, please, tell me.

Paparazzi 1: What? (to other paparazzi) Do you think I should say?

Paparazzi 2: No. You can't. You shouldn't say that.

Paparazzi 1: We saw, you know, a young star. You know, with another guy, and it's implied that there's something going on. I don't know, you know, the whole gay thing. Intrigues people, you know. I've always thought you were cute.

Paparazzi 2: Most people don't assume that [they're gay].

Paparazzi 1: I can assume it personally, but I'm not going to put that in a caption. I'm not going to say "Joseph Gordon-Levitt's boyfriend". You know, I basically took headshots. I can think that and can fulfill my fantasies a little, but it's not every day I get to talk to Joseph Gordon-Levitt.

JGL: It was lovely talking to you guys. Matt. Henry. See you later.

Paparazzi 1: Is what I thought true, by the way?

Salon also interviews the actor today about his new film The Lookout.

"Pictures of Assholes" [salon]

You may have missed...
Joseph Gordon-Levitt: No Problem Kissing Dudes [tr]
Victor Rasuk Lovin' on Joseph Gordon-Levitt [tr]

Comments

1. I love Joseph Gordon-Levitt even MORE now. Brilliant!

Posted by: soulbrotha | Mar 28, 2007 11:51:30 AM

2. That. Was awesome. He went from aggressive paparazzi to smiling and flirting. You know he's keeping those pictures for himself.

Interesting how both of the photogs, when questions, just tried to change the subject saying he's not a big a star as other people.

Posted by: Dean | Mar 28, 2007 12:00:38 PM

3. I know these paparazzi and they're sweet. I am going to have to assume JGL was throwing shade leading up to the confrontation, though I can see both sides of the "publicize me!" / "leave me alone!" wars. Proving their point about star idolatry is the existence and popularity of this video made by JGL. Don't judge them too harshly unless you're willing to never buy US Weekly or read a celeblog again. I think JGL, a great actor, was creative and smart to do this video, though, and in so doing probably learned a bit about his foes.

Posted by: Matthew Rettenmund | Mar 28, 2007 12:14:52 PM

4. It is one thing to be a professional photographer who remains a reasonable distance from his/her subject at PUBLIC events and takes pictures. I do not consider them paparrazi. I consider paparazzi those vermin who swarm all over the subject, pushing others aside, causing chaos and more frequently dangerous situations, take unauthorized pictures of their children, and generally being pigs whom were they average citizens and did they not hide behind their "press" badges would frequently be arrested for assault and battery.

I'm sure I'll get flamed, but I long for one of the latter kind to get run over by a car or otherwise seriously injured while acting like an animal. Only something like that has the potential for restoring some degree of sanity.

Posted by: Leland | Mar 28, 2007 12:42:13 PM

5. I wonder if that photog was actually flirting or just trying to get a scoop on JGL. I'm thinking the latter...

Posted by: Gregg | Mar 28, 2007 1:05:21 PM

6. I wouldn't flame you, Leland, but you're wrong. Princess Diana, a beloved celebrity and icon, died and the public largely believes he paps had SOMETHING to do with it, and it didn't calm anything. Not sure why the death of a photog would help. Plus they don't deserve to die. Sure, some are crazed, but I actually don't see in this video the peak of craziness you mean, like the animals that bait and taunt stars to get reactions. Though things do get a little test when JGL speaks to them!

Posted by: Matthew Rettenmund | Mar 28, 2007 1:25:18 PM

7. I agree with you Leland. There is a total difference in the photographers who stand on the side of a red carpet and yell for people to pose and those who chase them down the street and attack them while sitting in cars. Thats why I never blame people like Britney when she attacked them with umbrellas. I can't imagine just sitting at a gas station and having people come get up in my face with a camera like that.

Posted by: Kit | Mar 28, 2007 1:37:12 PM

8. I have newfound increased respect for JGL -- I like the way he handled all that.

His boyfriend seemed pretty cute too.

Nah, I kid -- the "[]other guy" he was with was cute.

Posted by: tjc | Mar 28, 2007 1:55:41 PM

9. After seeing this, I am surprised they don't get slapped more often; when Pap2 said "we just wanted to f*** with you because you were rude.." I wanted to see JGL punch his lights out. As for "Matt" trying to curry favour by saying "I can think that and can fulfill my fantasies a little", puhlease. What a creep. They will do or say anything to get what they want. I agree with Leland. They are scummy.

Posted by: atheist | Mar 28, 2007 2:28:47 PM

10. I have seen the Paparazzi in action once before, and it was not pretty. They were hounding SJP in the Village one Sunday when apparently all she wanted to do was take a stroll with her husband & kid. They were literally on her heels shouting at her and then obstructing her path with no regard for the other pedestrians they were bowling out of the way & yelling at to move. I think they wanted a Angry SJP picture to go with some nasty & no doubt fictional headline about her temper. She yelled out a few times that they should please leave her alone which was ignored & I witnessed all parties disappear down the street, with the continued plaintive cries of SJP to be left alone. When did it become acceptable to treat people in this way whether they are in the public domain or not?

Posted by: Matt | Mar 28, 2007 2:58:35 PM

11. P.S. Did anyone else spot the irony of PAP one being uncomfortable with the camera on him? He actually asked the the camera be put down....Maybe more celebrities should be kitted out with small lapel video cameras so that they can turn the tables on the worst offenders & then post the results on line.

Posted by: Matt | Mar 28, 2007 3:03:41 PM

12. Leland, wishing death or severe injury on very annoying people seems hardly proportional, and not very liberal, I might add.

I think that Joseph's response, if other celebirites would join him, would have a longer-lasting and less brutal effect.

Posted by: KJ | Mar 28, 2007 3:18:29 PM

13. KJ: when you're done tiptoeing through the tulips, let us know how things are down on Sunnybrook Farm.

Posted by: Leland | Mar 28, 2007 4:10:34 PM

14. Yikes those guys are assholes! And that one should probably get a refund from his plastic surgeon.

Posted by: shane | Mar 28, 2007 6:48:43 PM

15. Since when does hanging out with another male make one gay. It could have been his brother. Yes, I do hope that JGL is gay. I've always enjoyed his acting and will continue to; gay or not. Good for him for confronting them and he didn't throw a fit. Sometimes privacy is just that privacy. Why can't they just take a few pictures and say ciao.

Posted by: Robert A | Mar 28, 2007 7:24:01 PM

16. KJ: when you're done tiptoeing through the tulips, let us know how things are down on Sunnybrook Farm.
    _______________

LMFAO! Post Of The Day.

Posted by: atheist | Mar 28, 2007 8:09:50 PM

17. that was intense. so much better than that crap movie "paparrazzi." more actors should do what jgl did. more proof that gays are everywhere, even gay asshole paparrazzi.

Posted by: joeyhegele | Mar 28, 2007 8:37:34 PM

18. Okay, if I didn't like JGL before (which I did) and certainly like him even more now. Good way to turn the tables, and I think you're right. It's a nice investigative piece.

And for as many photos as those two gentlemen take, they sure seemed annoyed (initially anyway) about having thier pictures taken.

My feeling is, hey, if you're a celeb, then you're gonna have to get used to having your pic taken. ANd if your life revolves around taking pics, well, what's good for the goose applies as far as I'm concerned.

Good job!!

Posted by: Dave | Mar 29, 2007 12:31:32 AM

19. Paparazzi comes from the name Paparazzo, a photographer played by Marcello Mastroiani in Fellini's la Dolce Vita, but the guy didn't even know that, when JGL said Fellini his reply was "who?". Ironical. And he looks really gay, really camp with his "it would fullfil my fantasy"; Yeah, yeah, whatever. But then that's from a gay european point of view (reference to Karl Lagerlfeld's bodyguard post and french men turning american gaydar's off :-) ). Paparazzi are just ignorant, foulmouthed people and these two should be charged for insulting JGL when they called him an asshole.

Posted by: Luis | Mar 29, 2007 3:54:27 AM

20. lol he handled it hillarious the paps r so hypocritical

Posted by: sasha | Mar 29, 2007 10:10:12 PM

21. whts he so afraid of.
    poor soul...