Adam Sandler | Film | Firefighters | Kevin James | News | Playing Gay

Adam Sandler Jokes About Sex with Kevin James

Adam_sandler

Adam Sandler talks to Newsweek magazine this week about his upcoming role in I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry, in which he and Kevin James play firefighters who pretend to be gay in order to receive domestic partner benefits.

Said Sandler: "Kevin [James] and I have to pretend we're a gay couple. I know Kevin, and it's kind of a strange thing to have to play. So to ease the tension, before the first day of shooting, we had sex with each other. We just got it out of the way so it wouldn't be an issue. It's an old tip I picked up from working with Nicholson. We took some liberties in the movie. There's a scene where I mistake Kevin James's boxers for a pillowcase and stuff a pillow in them. That was not Kevin's real underwear. We used that as a mattress cover. This movie says there's nothing wrong with being gay. There's just something wrong with being gay for Kevin James."

I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry is scheduled to open on July 20.

You may have missed...
Adam Sandler and Kevin James Hope to be Gay Celebrity Brides [tr]
I Now Pronounce you Chuck and Larry preview [tr]

Comments

1. I guess fat people can't be gay,right,Mr Sandler!

Posted by: Tim | Apr 23, 2007 9:23:06 AM

2. Its absolutely amazing that someone in Hollyweird allows this sort of sophomoric "humor" to be made into a movie. One of these days this sort of low brow humor, and with Sandler in it, you know its going to have more than its share of negative gay scenes, will perpetuate stereotypes. Instead of using humor to address a serious issue and make people think about the unfair treatment of glbt for health care in the employment place, cheap gags.

Posted by: mark | Apr 23, 2007 9:51:23 AM

3. I avoid Sandler whenever possible. He's always had (in my opinion) a gay-hostile vibe, so not expecting this movie to be any different.

But his greatest sin is that he isn't funny.

Posted by: mark m | Apr 23, 2007 9:57:11 AM

4. poor taste and not funny

Posted by: Chris | Apr 23, 2007 10:36:47 AM

5. Ah, come on. Give the movie a chance. Isn't anyone here old enough or a big enough film buff to remember that hilarious movie from around 1960 in which, in order to pool their money, fat black comedian Godfrey Cambridge played a guy pretending to want to marry Shirley MacLaine and vice versa? Their parents and neighbors and coworkers got all upset and it got funnier and funnier until it was like Keystone Cops Go to Harlem [there was some gut-busting gag about Kosher watermelon and another in which Shirley winks and says, "It's true what you've heard!"] until the end where everyone accepted everybody and the leads broke character and made a heartfelt plea for acceptance of interracial marriage. What? You say no movie was ever made like that?

Nevermind.

Posted by: Leland | Apr 23, 2007 10:48:23 AM

6. I think Kevin is very sexy. Great face, big fuzzy forearms. Sandler, like Jim Carrey have a sense of humor that only an 8th grade boy would find amusing. I have never seen a Sandler movie and his character on SNL weren't for me either.

I think straight people are amused much easier than gay folks. He just isn't clever enough in his humor attempts to interest me.

Posted by: clinton | Apr 23, 2007 11:01:15 AM

7. I really dont trust these people to treat this issue with the sensitivity it requires. I'm not saying the topic couldnt be funny, just not under ANY of these circumstances.

Posted by: Gregoire | Apr 23, 2007 11:01:45 AM

8. Yeah, straight men pretending to be gay in order to GET rights and benefits.

That IS hilarious.

I won't judge the movie before seeing it but I can't imagine how this particular plotline could possibly not be offensive. It seems to be based on the fundi talking point that any rights or benefits given to gays are special rights not afforded to straight people.

Posted by: Zeke | Apr 23, 2007 11:05:49 AM

9. 1969 gave us the film The Gay Deceivers, a movie about two straight guys who pretend to be gay in order to avoid the draft. Stereptypical hyjinks ensues, and by the end a lesson is learned. Like the cockroach, if on nothing else you can always count on formula entertainment.

Posted by: GBM | Apr 23, 2007 11:08:27 AM

10. Is this one of those comedies where the joke is on the audience?

Posted by: anon | Apr 23, 2007 12:25:13 PM

11. If being gay for Kevin James is wrong, I don't want to be right. Hold me closer, delivery man!

Posted by: Graham | Apr 23, 2007 12:35:12 PM

12. If you can base an opinion about a move solely on it trailer PU. This thing stinks to high heaven. As gays across the globe risk their safety to come out publicly and ask for marriage benefits. These two millionaire ass holes feel it’s appropriate to turn marriage equality into a big joke (it’s really a dodge for gay people to get money and benefits they really don’t deserve) from which they can make money. What’s next for these two? “9/11-The Musical on Ice!” Or how about a story about some racist (black faced) white minstrels the south who just happen to crash the march on Selma! Hilarious!

Posted by: ggreen | Apr 23, 2007 12:51:00 PM

13. "These two millionaire ass holes feel it’s appropriate to turn marriage equality into a big joke (it’s really a dodge for gay people to get money and benefits they really don’t deserve) from which they can make money. "

That was my comment the last time around -- I don't want to be a negativist just to amuse myself, but I don't feel it's funny for rich hetero men to turn the issue of gay marriage into a giant exploitative gag at a time when our community is still struggling for rights.

And sorry to say there is usually nothing more cringe-worthy than two hetero men pretending to play "amourous-but-not-really" lovers on screen. It's relentlessly off, condescending, and gross sometimes. That in my opinion is what continues to perpetrate the notion that sex between men is wrong. It's simply because what the people see on screen IS wrong. And it's unfortunate more people don't address this fact.

Posted by: Da | Apr 23, 2007 1:37:33 PM

14. I have a question: What is the basis by which one determines what is wrong and what is right?

Posted by: John | Apr 23, 2007 4:03:27 PM

15. the ffact that they are joking about it means they already see it as normal like joking about igonoring your wife marrying for immigration stop overthinking people

Posted by: sasha | Apr 23, 2007 4:40:57 PM

16. Y'know, why is "Straight men pretend to be gay to get benefits/special treatment", absurdist and funny, but "Gay people pretending to be straight to get benefits" considered 'status quo'?

Posted by: gayjaybird | Apr 23, 2007 4:53:57 PM

17. I guess this puts me in the minority of gay men in Los Angeles (then again, that's a better place to be...) but I find Kevin James one sexy man!

Posted by: parker | Apr 23, 2007 8:26:45 PM

18. Doesn't anyone remember the very charming movie, Happy Texas, where the two straight crooks-on-the-run have to pretend to be gay dance instructors for a class of little girls' state competition?

I have seen it three times, and while I'm often one of the grumpiest of the proverbial grumpy old queers, find it completely hilarious and moving every time.

Posted by: Deborah | Apr 23, 2007 9:38:58 PM