Ann Coulter | Jerry Falwell | News

BigGayDeal.com

Ann Coulter's Latest Diarrheatribe on Jerry Falwell

Coulter's ode to Jerry Falwell is a real gay-hating gem. Here are a few choice excerpts.

Falwell_coulterCoulter: "Let me be the first to say: I ALWAYS agreed with the Rev. Falwell. Actually, there was one small item I think Falwell got wrong regarding his statement after 9/11 that 'the pagans, and the abortionists, and the feminists, and the gays and the lesbians — who are actively trying to make that an alternative lifestyle — the ACLU, People for the American Way, all of them who have tried to secularize America. I point the finger in their face and say, 'You helped this happen.'' First of all, I disagreed with that statement because Falwell neglected to specifically include Teddy Kennedy and 'the Reverend' Barry Lynn."

And that's just the beginning of a lengthy anti-gay, anti-liberal rant:

"I note that in Falwell's list of Americans he blamed for ejecting God from public life, only the gays got a qualifier. Falwell referred to gays and lesbians who are actively trying to make that an alternative lifestyle...What Falwell was referring to are the gay activists — the ones who spit the Eucharist on the floor at St. Patrick's Cathedral, blamed Reagan for AIDS, and keep trying to teach small schoolchildren about 'fisting.' Also the ones who promote the gay lifestyle in a children's cartoon."

If you're interested in reading the rest, which includes her encyclopedic knowledge of the culture's grasp of Tinky Winky, click here.

Comments

1. Desperate. Self-parody. Sound and fury signifying nothing. I don't understand why we're supposed to pay attention to her pathetic attempts at injecting herself into the news cycle.

Posted by: Ryno | May 17, 2007 4:43:12 PM

2. Hopefully, Ann Coulter will drop dead next.

Posted by: Stenar | May 17, 2007 4:48:12 PM

3. Andy...are you sure we should click on that link? Won't we be putting money in that homophobic shrew's pocket every time someone goes to that page?

Posted by: peterparker | May 17, 2007 4:48:50 PM

4. I considered publishing no link at all but figured some would want to read. In any case, it's not to the shrew's site but to one of the publications that runs her syndicated column.

Posted by: andy | May 17, 2007 4:52:07 PM

5. Interestingly enough there are gay people, including regular Towleroadies, that are Coulter's biggest fans.

I doubt the gang over at GayPatriot will be able to make it through her heartfelt Falwell eulogy without having an orgasm.

No, no self-hate there at all.

Posted by: Zeke | May 17, 2007 4:57:55 PM

6. I won't click on the link.

I've read too much already.

Posted by: Zeke | May 17, 2007 4:58:58 PM

7. I am one of those people that wanted to read it... thanks for posting it. As always, I just come away thinking: WHAT A DOUCHE.

Posted by: CHUX | May 17, 2007 5:00:00 PM

8. Everything she writes is unintelligible -- meandering stream of consciousness. Who knows what she's really trying to say. I went to college with her and knew her pretty well my senior year. She was unstable then but only slightly. I kick myself when I realize I had the chance to kill her and didn't.

Posted by: Jon | May 17, 2007 5:00:31 PM

9. Ah, "Blade IV-The Apocalips" [sic] in which one vampire feeds upon the corpse of another vampire. Where is Wesley Snipes and his sword when we need him most? There are shameless, lying, money-sucking sickies like Fartwell and then there are shameless, lying, money sucking out patient psychopaths like Coulter. Why doesn't Phelps Infucking Clan picket her?

We are supposed to pay attention because she will succeed at inserting herself, yet again, into the news cycle. Because, contrary to logic and decency and what anyone might like to believe, she has a HUGE following. How huge? Consider that she is the darling banshee of cable newstalk shows including "moderate" Chris Matthews, and American Taliban talk radio and lecture circuit. Consider that she is the "good friend" of "The Advocate's" 2006 Man of the Year Bill Maher. Consider that the cocreater of Outsports.com pimps her books, all five of which have been on the "NY Times" best seller list. Consider that the last one, "Godless: The Church of Liberalism," debuting at Number 1, and a seventh, "If Democrats Had Any Brains, They'd Be Republicans," comes out in October. Consider that, by some counts, George Bush Fils is only in the White House because of less than 600 votes.

We don't pay attention to her constant blood sucking [and answer and protest it in every way we can] at our peril.

Posted by: Leland | May 17, 2007 5:02:05 PM

10. As much as I hate to give Coulter or FrontPageMag a click, I am glad for the link Andy. The short excerpt you included in the post is really tame, compared to the rest of the piece.

Honestly, after reading Coulter's slop I want to go and puke. I know she's horrible, I know she loves to swat at hornets' nests just to stir things up, and I know that vitriol is part and parcel of her style. But, damn. This is probably one of the worst pieces I have ever read.

The hatred that this woman has in her heart knows no parallel. The fact that she "ALWAYS agreed" with Falwell is very telling. And her understanding of Christianity and the teachings of Jesus truly astounds me. Let's face it, if Coulter had been born in Saudi Arabia she'd be screaming out from behind her abaya that "suicide bombers" should fall on the US en masse and blow themselves and the rest of us to pieces. She is a professional hatemonger and NO ONE to the left of Karl Rove is outside her attack zone.

She tries to make a distinction between gay activists (i.e., "who are actively trying to make that an alternative lifestyle") and presumably the closeted gays who "in the prelapsarian '50s that Jerry Falwell and [Coulter] would like to return to". I guess that Coulter just wants us to go back to hiding and lying. But whatever.

Coulter is a real piece of work. It is tempting to call her names (she really is a cunt) but that only makes her happy. Maybe we'll get lucky and she'll go hunting with Dick Cheney one day soon. I can't think of much else that would work to shut the bitch up.

(Apologies to Andy if my use of the four-letter-"c"-word offends, but she's certainly one if anyone is.)

Posted by: Jonathon | May 17, 2007 5:05:57 PM

11. Let's all make a pledge: We as a community will just completely ignore the ignorant rant of Ann Coulter. The only way to make her go away is to stop giving her press and stop discussing her. Let's make her invisible.

Posted by: Cris | May 17, 2007 5:16:19 PM

12. this fall under the "heard it from a friend" category, but I was told by someone that privately she doesn't really talk or think like that. She spouts her crap basically to get a rise out of people (which she does) and get herself some press (which she does) so as to keep herself on the radar (which she has). At this point, I would almost like to believe that because in someway it would kind of make her human, in that way where people do ANYTHING to get ahead. But in the end, I just revert back to thinking that she's just a hateful cunt that needs to go. Again I ask, why does Don Imus get so burned, yet Isaiah and Ann seem to walk away unscathed? WTF?

Posted by: JR | May 17, 2007 5:22:41 PM

13. Sorry, Cris, but, once again, WE are not the ones giving her press, giving her power. Do you think Chris Matthews keeps booking her on his show and praising her to please US? No disrespect, but suggesting that ignoring her will make her go away is "magical thinking." She's the almost-human equivalent of cancer and ignoring cancer doesn't make it go away [despite the claims of a few].

What "would work to shut the bitch up"? Two words: Don Imus. That weasel was far bigger than Coulter, far richer, etc., but finally ENOUGH people complained that he was canned even though it cost his networks millions in ad-revenue [and may cost them many more if he wins his lawsuit].

The problem is we haven't genuinely TRIED to do anything about her where it counts. As much as I enjoy finding new ways to flame her on Towleroad, it is not the path the mainstream ants trod. How to start doing more? Start by demanding that our paid representatives go after her. Read HRC, NGLTF, SAAD.

And by "go" I don't mean another ballless, dickless paper airplane read press release whining about her. ACT UP sent out a lot of press releases in its day, too, but it was their "street action" [which Cuntler references, in fact] that changed the face of AIDS treatment and medicine generally in this country. Stop letting HER control the "floor." Block the doors of MSNBC and CNN the next time they invite her on carrying signs that identify her as the gay murder-inspiring neo-fascist that she is. Plague all of her their and her newspaper column sponsors' phone lines and HQ doorways until they, as others before, stop sponsoring her.

Arriana Huffington said it about her on Larry King after she called John Edwards a fag. What Hitchens said about the mainstream's elevation and embrace of Fartwell equally applies to Cuntler. Reduce her to parading on the sidewalk with Phelps.

It's rather unfair to blame a rabid dog for being rabid. We should blame our paid national "leaders" and the networks, et al., for letting it continue to go around biting people.

Posted by: Leland | May 17, 2007 5:36:05 PM

14. RE: Falwell

Betty Davis said it best after Joan Crawford died:

As a little girl, my mother always said, "Never speak bad of the dead, only good". So, I now have to say, "it's 'good' that Joan is dead"

Posted by: jerry furman | May 17, 2007 5:55:50 PM

15. JR, I'd loathe her LESS if I thought she actually BELIEVED half the bile she spews. Then she'd just be narrow-minded and bigoted. As it is, she's coldly calculating as she taps into the hate and prejudice that's out there. And for what? Fame and money.

I'm not a Christian (anymore), but I'm always left dumbfounded by people like Coulter who claim to be. Have they read a single damn word that's attributed to Jesus? Isn't he the brotha who said, "Judge not, lest you be judged?" And wait. Wasn't it Jesus who said, "Whatsoever you do to the least of my brothers, that you do unto me". Huh.

Posted by: Michael | May 17, 2007 6:11:35 PM

16. I'm not even going to follow the link or think about this at all. This media hungry anorexic slut has lost her mind and the sooner we dismiss her ass the better for all of us.

Posted by: James | May 17, 2007 6:17:45 PM

17. Zeke... i think your talking about me...

From Ann Coulter's latest article:

There have always been gay people – even in the prelapsarian '50s that Jerry Falwell and I would like to return to, when God protected America from everything but ourselves.

What Falwell was referring to are the gay activists – the ones who spit the Eucharist on the floor at St. Patrick's Cathedral, blamed Reagan for AIDS and keep trying to teach small schoolchildren about "fisting."

Ann is not homophobic! READ THE ARTICLE IN CONTEXT!
    CONTEXT IS EVERYTHING!!!!

Ann is a traditionalist, but even i (a gay man) don't see the point of teaching 8 year olds about fisting, and yes there was a proposal to do just that by some gay organization (google it) for public school sex ed.

Also, you don't get anywhere in furthering the cause of gay rights by attacking your opponent with radical conspiracy theories i.e. that Reagan created AIDS to kill us all off. And ACT UP repeated that chant for years, decades really.

It's gonna be very hard to have traditionalists in this country take us seriously if we continue to propagate such bullshit like that!

As for Falwell: i got no tears for him and no sympathy either.

Posted by: MARK | May 17, 2007 6:20:17 PM

18. I agree with many who have posted here... let's just not give her (and others like her) the attention she craves and relies upon. If no one posted, printed or aired her rantings, she'd have no fame or audience.

Posted by: Jon | May 17, 2007 6:22:10 PM

19. Not sure how serious she takes her own writing--it sounded sort of tongue-in-cheek, but maybe she's planning on going on the Aryan Nation lecture circuit.

Posted by: anon | May 17, 2007 6:28:41 PM

20. 8 year olds need to know how to fist so they can do it to her dried up useless cunt.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | May 17, 2007 6:35:30 PM

21. Christ of the Andes. I'm gay and I have a proposal, Mark: suck a razor blade! Are you going to do it? Unfortunately, not. Does my suggestion that you do warrant the demonization of all gays? No. Just because someone claimed that someone seriously suggested children be taught fisting and that claim made it on Google doesn't mean it happened. Google is a search engine not a lie detector.

While some people did seriously believe that AIDS was a government plot, your claim that "ACT UP repeated that chant for years, decades really" is so much hot hogshit. Even I don't agree with everything ACT UP did, and their may have been individual ACT UP members who believed the plot thing, it is willfully ignorant of you to claim it was an ACT UP tenet. And, by the way, you meant "e.g." not "i.e." and it should have been bracketed with commas. Funny how one kind of stupidity coexists with another.

As for Reagan specifically, the charge was not that he created AIDS [he was only in office barely five months when the first cases were reported, you 'tard], but that he ignored it for most of his time in the Presidency and that is documented FACT, Fucked Face.

If you consider Cuntler a mere, well-meaning "traditionalist" then you would have LUVED Hitler, Ass Wipe! As for your insistence that she's in no way homophobic, I advise you to stay away from the windows. The attendants from the psych ward are scouring the neighborhood calling your name.

Posted by: Leland | May 17, 2007 6:38:56 PM

22. I think she should endorse a fragrance ... CUNT by Anne Coulter

Posted by: Eric | May 17, 2007 6:41:37 PM

23. Hey Andy, I sent that letter earlier today to your tips email address, thought this would be of interest here as Jerry Falwell's passing was quite the "hot topic". Of course the comments are quite interesting. Thanks.

Posted by: Cory | May 17, 2007 6:42:15 PM

24. Here's the full passage here guys:

Jerry Falwell: Say hello to Ronald Reagan! by Ann Coulter

No man in the last century better illustrated Jesus' warning that "All men will hate you because of me" than the Rev. Jerry Falwell, who left this world on Tuesday. Separately, no man better illustrates my warning that it doesn't pay to be nice to liberals.

Falwell was a perfected Christian. He exuded Christian love for all men, hating sin while loving sinners. This is as opposed to liberals, who just love sinners. Like Christ ministering to prostitutes, Falwell regularly left the safe confines of his church to show up in such benighted venues as CNN.

He was such a good Christian that back when we used to be on TV together during Clinton's impeachment, I sometimes wanted to say to him, "Step aside, reverend – let the mean girl handle this one." (Why, that guy probably prayed for Clinton!)

For putting Christ above everything – even the opportunity to make a humiliating joke about Clinton – Falwell is known as "controversial." Nothing is ever as "controversial" as yammering about Scripture as if, you know, it's the word of God or something.

From the news coverage of Falwell's death, I began to suspect his first name was "Whether You Agree With Him or Not."

Even Falwell's fans, such as evangelist Billy Graham and former President Bush, kept throwing in the "We didn't always agree" disclaimer. Did Betty Friedan or Molly Ivins get this many "I didn't always agree with" qualifiers on their deaths? And when I die, if you didn't always agree with me, would you mind keeping it to yourself?

Let me be the first to say: I ALWAYS agreed with the Rev. Falwell.

Actually, there was one small item I think Falwell got wrong regarding his statement after 9-11 that "the pagans, and the abortionists, and the feminists, and the gays and the lesbians – who are actively trying to make that an alternative lifestyle – the ACLU, People for the American Way, all of them who have tried to secularize America. I point the finger in their face and say, 'You helped this happen.'"

First of all, I disagreed with that statement because Falwell neglected to specifically include Teddy Kennedy and "the Reverend" Barry Lynn.

Second, Falwell later stressed that he blamed the terrorists most of all, but I think that clarification was unnecessary. The necessary clarification was to note that God was at least protecting America enough not to allow the terrorists to strike when a Democrat was in the White House.

(If you still think it isn't Christ whom liberals hate, remember: They hate Falwell even more than they hate me.)

No Christian minister is going to preach that homosexuality is godly behavior, but Falwell didn't add any limiting qualifications to his condemnation of feminists, the ACLU or People for the American Way.

Also the ones who promote the gay lifestyle in a children's cartoon.

Beginning in early 1998, the news was bristling with stories about a children's cartoon PBS was importing from Britain that featured a gay cartoon character, Tinky Winky, the purple Teletubbie with a male voice and a red handbag.

People magazine gleefully reported that Teletubbies was "aimed at Telebabies as young as 1 year. But teenage club kids love the products' kitsch value, and gay men have made the purse-toting Tinky Winky a camp icon."

In the Nexis archives for 1998 alone, there are dozens and dozens of mentions of Tinky Winky being gay – in periodicals such as Newsweek, the Toronto Star, the Washington Post (twice!), the New York Times and Time magazine (also twice).

In its Jan. 8, 1999, issue, USA Today accused the Washington Post of "outing" Tinky Winky, with a "recent Washington Post In/Out list putting T.W. opposite Ellen DeGeneres and Anne Heche, essentially 'outing' the kids' show character."

Michael Musto of the Village Voice boasted that Tinky Winky was "out and proud," noting that it was "a great message to kids – not only that it's OK to be gay, but the importance of being well accessorized."

All this appeared before Falwell made his first mention of Tinky Winky.

After one year of the mainstream media laughing at having put one over on stupid bourgeois Americans by promoting a gay cartoon character in a TV show for children, when Falwell criticized the cartoon in February 1999, that same mainstream media howled with derision that Falwell thought a cartoon character could be gay.

Teletubbies producers immediately denounced the suggestion that Tinky Winky was gay – though they admitted that he was once briefly engaged to Liza Minnelli. That's what you get, reverend, for believing what you read in the Washington Post, the New York Times, Time magazine and Newsweek. Of course, Falwell also thought the show "Queer as Folk" was gay, so obviously the man had no credibility.

Despite venomous attacks and overwhelming pressure to adopt the fashionable beliefs of cafe society, Falwell never wavered an inch in acknowledging Jesus before men. Luckily, Jesus' full sentence, quoted at the beginning of this column is: "All men will hate you because of me, but he who stands firm to the end will be saved."

Posted by: Cory | May 17, 2007 6:47:07 PM

25. OMG, Cory. I had purposely avoiding going to the link for the full article as I don't have cardiac shock paddles with me today. Now I wish I'd been even "kinder" to Mark. I guess Ann never got a look at that Clinton-having-sex video tape that Fartwell was peddling.

Posted by: Leland | May 17, 2007 6:55:44 PM