Adam Sandler | Film | News

Adam Sandler's Gay Robot As Animated Film?

Developed as a scripted, live-action adaptation (first clip from the show's pilot, above) of the character from Adam Sandler's comedy act "Shhh...don't listen", Gay Robot never got picked up, but the Hollywood Reporter says that the project may have new life:

"The title character (voiced by Nick Swardson, reprising his role from the album) is a robot who discovers after an unfortunate incident involving a wine cooler and his circuit boards that he is gay. After 'Robot' didn't get picked up by the network, SPT made the pilot and clips from it available on such sites as MySpace (where Gay Robot has his own page), BitTorrent and Sony-owned Grouper. The project began generating a great deal of buzz online; Gay Robot even has more than 32,000 MySpace friends. Sources said the network and studio now are looking at redeveloping 'Robot' as an animated project, but both parties declined comment."

The Sandler act has already been made into a dance single:

"The Gay Robot Groove"
The Gay Robot Groove - EP

I've uploaded the rest of the YouTube clips that are available from the live-action pilot below, and after the jump, for whatever edification they may provide.

You may have missed...
Adam Sandler Jokes About Sex with Kevin James [tr]
Adam Sandler and Kevin James' Wedding Photo [tr]
Adam Sandler and Kevin James Hope to be Gay Celebrity Brides [tr]

Comments

1. Wow. That makes Will & Grace look like War and Peace.

Posted by: 24play | May 25, 2007 11:34:08 AM

2. Okay, I changed my mind. I agree with Pat Robertson now. Hollywood must be destroyed.

Posted by: Zlexar | May 25, 2007 11:45:22 AM

3. Instead of laughing at real flesh and blood faggots these clever folks have found way to keep up the gay jokes and obnoxious stereotypes by transposing them onto a robot. I guess that makes it OK somehow for them and keeps them from openly confronting their own bigotry and stupidity. What a bunch of lame jackasses.

Posted by: Adam | May 25, 2007 11:49:26 AM

4. Instead of laughing at real flesh and blood faggots these clever folks have found way to keep up the gay jokes and obnoxious stereotypes by transposing them onto a robot. I guess that makes it OK somehow for them and keeps them from openly confronting their own bigotry and stupidity. What a bunch of lame jackasses.

Posted by: Adam | May 25, 2007 11:51:08 AM

5. ah pubes...gay robot rules...

Posted by: dan | May 25, 2007 12:17:41 PM

6. These clips are not promising.

Posted by: anon | May 25, 2007 12:19:54 PM

7. ah pubes...gay robot rules

Posted by: dan | May 25, 2007 12:21:11 PM

8. Oh my God, I am sick but that made me feel better... lol How cute is that? A gay robot? That should be a TV Show with better writing, i'd watch it! I also think one of the muppets on Sesame Street should be gay/transgender to teach children about what being gay/transgender is, but that will never happen with that bigoted Education Secretary Margaret Spellings controlling PBS. But maybe in our great-great-great-great-great grandchildren's days we'll have our first gay muppet. (In Africa, they have an HIV+ muppet. Do you think our PBS would do that here?)

Posted by: julianadotsr | May 25, 2007 3:33:10 PM

9. What is this gay kick Adam S. has been on lately? Can someone say, overcompensating? I think he should just stick to "acting" and stop having ideas.

Posted by: Brent Harris | May 25, 2007 4:21:06 PM

10. julianadotsr,
    What are you talking about? The gay robot here is not a helpful mascot for diversity.
    Beyond the ridiculous caricature of gayness there is also the old stereotype of the gay guy coming onto all the straight men around him (a common straight male comic obsession) or the gay guy as the sad pathetic outcast who can't get a date. These kind of stereotypes both play into straight guy fear of our “uncontrollable” sexual urges (gay panic) and the opposite stereotype that somehow coexists with the previous one of us as weak laughable eunuchs. This is just coded soft homophobia for insecure straight assholes masquerading as comedy.

Posted by: Adam | May 25, 2007 5:08:44 PM

11. I guess it's wrong that I find it funny - juvenile for sure but still funny.

Best line: How do I look? Like a Stonewashed Stallion

or

I've got a dry sense of humour and a muddy bottom

Posted by: Giovanni | May 25, 2007 5:41:40 PM

12. So let's see:

1) "Gay Robot" was created when they spilled a wine cooler on his circuit board.

2) He talks in a lisp.

3) He's always hitting on straight men.

4) He's a miserable loser who can't get a date.

Okay, this supposed to be funny, right? Let's just switch a few stereotypes:

1) "Black Robot" was created when they spilled malt liquor on his circuit board.

2) He speaks in 'ebonics.'

3) He's always hitting on white women.

4) He's a miserable loser who can't get a job.

Obviously the above is waaaay offensive. A show like "Black Robot" would never get off the ground, and if it did there'd be a huge public outcry. Now compare it to the show Adam Sandler actually made about us. Not really that different, is it? But the reaction sure is.

I just want to point out the kind of shit we're willing to put up with. Maybe that speaks well of us, and maybe not. You get to decide.

Posted by: Zlexar | May 25, 2007 5:50:08 PM

13. zlexar - i bet you drink wine coolers and talk with a lisp...and don't say you drink martini's...they're just the fruity new equivalent of wine coolers...

Posted by: dan | May 25, 2007 6:02:06 PM

14. Guess you've never seen Flavor of Love, Zlexar (or Queer Duck for that matter). And by the way the "what if it/they were black" offense is so 2006 - this year its all about Latinos.

yours,
    Lou Dobbs.

Posted by: Giovanni | May 25, 2007 6:37:06 PM

15. I'd have thought that Adam Sandler's 15 minutes were up long ago. Does anyone give a damn what he does?

Posted by: Roscoe | May 25, 2007 7:57:39 PM

16. Its just a very idiotic premise and seems like a show that would be hilarious if you were high on weed. I think maybe a will develop a show about a manic depressive salmon. I'll make trillions.

Posted by: Toto | May 25, 2007 9:22:24 PM

17. Dear Dan -

Actually, I drink strawberry Yoo-Hoo spiked with acid. It fuckin' rocks. As for the lisping, it only happens when I'm licking the yeast infection out of your mom's quivering twat. I thwear.

And Lou -

The whole Queer Duck thing was really no different from the Robot - just with felching jokes. Didn't really like it, but it wins out for sheer gross factor. Flava-flav to me is really more about a particular black man's fucked-up nature, rather than some thinly veiled portrayal of 'black people' through a symbolic proxy.

Posted by: Zlexar | May 26, 2007 1:05:56 AM

18. Zlexar ... Your mastery of the English language is awesome. Please contribute freely.

Regards,
    Phillip

Posted by: PhillipinOz | May 26, 2007 10:15:01 AM

19. Yet another excuse to make lame stereotypical gay jokes while at the same time claiming that you are doing something original and inventive... and, of course, "brave".

Never have liked Adam Sandler. So this really doesn't surprise me.

Posted by: Dean | May 26, 2007 12:57:09 PM

20. Adam Sandler is a really unfunny homophobe. I never have been able to "get" what people see in his crude and vulgar humor.

This creep is also a proudly registered Republican and contributor to the GW Bush campaigns.

Posted by: Tom | May 28, 2007 7:43:07 PM

21. The incidence of pearly papules ranged from. There are studies showing that more pearly papules are found in "the uncircumcised" (saved the foreskin glans penis) men compared

Posted by: pearly penile papules | Oct 6, 2012 2:24:38 AM