Ed Koch | Gay Pride | New York | News

Former NYC Mayor Ed Koch Celebrates Gay Pride

Koch1

Actually, 'celebrate' may not be the right word. As the former New York City mayor watched the parade floats go by, his shirt was stained by some sort of liquid projectile.

Koch2

He didn't appear to be very happy about it, notes Flickr member Boss Tweed, who took these shots.

Koch3

Koch, a lifelong bachelor, has always denied he is gay, despite rumors that followed him throughout his political career. In 1977, in his mayoral race against Mario Cuomo, when faced with an opposing slogan that said "Vote for Cuomo, not the homo," Koch replied, "No, I am not a homosexual. If I were a homosexual, I would hope I would have the courage to say so. What's cruel is that you are forcing me to say I am not a homosexual. This means you are putting homosexuals down. I don't want to do that."

In 1998, in a 30th anniversary issue of New York magazine, Koch repeated the denials: "Anytime you are mayor, you have critics, and one of the most persistent was Larry Kramer, who happens to live in my apartment building in the Village, and who ran around screaming that somehow I could have prevented AIDS. And the fact is, I did more on AIDS, and more to promote civil rights for gay people, than any other mayor in the country. Kramer’s thrust was that I was afraid that if I showed concern, people would think I was gay. He wasn’t the only one who said that, of course. Listen, there’s no question that some New Yorkers think I’m gay, and voted for me nevertheless. The vast majority don’t care, and others don’t think I am. And I don’t give a shit either way! What do I care? I’m 73 years old. I find it fascinating that people are interested in my sex life at age 73. It’s rather complimentary! But as I say in my book, my answer to questions on this subject is simply Fuck off. There have to be some private matters left."

Below, openly gay New York City Council speaker Christine Quinn and Mayor Michael Bloomberg at this year's parade.

Quinn_bloomberg

NYC Gay Pride [Boss Tweed - Flickr]

Comments

1. I really hope Bloomberg runs for president. He would definately have my vote.

Posted by: Aaron Rowland | Jun 25, 2007 9:43:51 AM

2. Bloomberg dipped into the parade just for the photo opp, then ducked out. Most parade-goers did not see him.

Posted by: K.P. | Jun 25, 2007 9:50:18 AM

3. Koch can say what he wants. I knew his ex-lover Dick Nathan. Dick died in the 90's, was an active member of many organizations and served on the board of NGLTF.

Posted by: Mike Rogers | Jun 25, 2007 9:56:48 AM

4. Actually, I prefer it if Koch wasn't gay. We have enough bad examples plaguing our community, we don't need a pathetic creature like Koch added to the roster. If he's not in the closet as a homosexual, he's not in the closet as a Republican and a Bush supporter either.

Posted by: Tom | Jun 25, 2007 10:01:05 AM

5. a life never fully lived.

Posted by: sean | Jun 25, 2007 10:02:11 AM

6. His love was politics.

Posted by: anon (gmail.com) | Jun 25, 2007 11:01:19 AM

7. I didn't see Bloomberg from where I was standing....17th and 5th. Why bother showing up at all if you can't do the entire length of the parade? Or at least 8th Street? I know it's more than 50 blocks but them drag queens walked that walk in 5 inch stilletos!

Posted by: gabe | Jun 25, 2007 11:02:10 AM

8. I think it's more important that Bloomberg was photographed than that he walked the entire route. The photo is a lasting record. It would have been nice if he walked the full route, but far more people will see this picture than the number of people who would have glimpsed him on the route.

Posted by: Gregg | Jun 25, 2007 1:12:17 PM

9. Well, if he's willing to be photographed walking the parade, Bloomberg is probably not running for president.

Posted by: anon (gmail.com) | Jun 25, 2007 2:26:33 PM

10. i walked that parade yesterday and it took NINE HOURS. frankly i'd rather he spend his time working. the show of support & photo op is enough.

Posted by: b mac | Jun 25, 2007 2:38:16 PM

11. Koch misspoke again. I lived in NY back then, and nobody over the age of 8 thought Koch wasn't gay, that's how obvious it was. Even when he was "dating" Bess Myerson and showing up everywhere with her, nobody bought it. The only true thing Koch said was that a lot of people thought he was gay and didn't care. If anybody had the chance to come out with impunity, it was Ed. He was immensely popular at the time, winning the mayoralty as both a Democrat AND a Republican. An opportunity lost.

Posted by: ProfessorVP | Jun 25, 2007 6:59:15 PM

12. I love bloomberg! Hey, I found a great site for pictures from the march. He had a good site last year, but this one is even better. www.jamesalley.net

Posted by: Jay | Jun 25, 2007 7:41:45 PM

13. Tyler Whitney is a baby Koch only worse.

Posted by: Tom | Jun 25, 2007 11:54:40 PM

14. I saw Quinn and Bloomberg at the March on Sunday. I can't say whether he was just there for the photo op or not, because he/they walked right past us. It was a beautiful Pride. I took my 8-year-old daughter for the first time, and she had a blast.

Happy Pride to all.

Posted by: Gena | Jun 26, 2007 2:59:41 PM

15. Bloomberg Chooses St. Patrick Over Rabbi Kleinbaum
    By: ANDY HUMM, GAY CITY NEWS
    06/28/2007
    Rabbi Sharon Kleinbaum of New York's LGBT synagogue, Congregation Beth Simchat Torah, and one of the grand marshals of the city's LGBT Pride March, criticized Mayor Michael Bloomberg for refusing to march with the community past St. Patrick's Cathedral and only entering it at 48th Street - and exiting north of 23rd Street before the march swung through Greenwich Village. For the 25 blocks he walked, he was with City Council Speaker Christine Quinn who started marching from 52nd Street.

"Shame on you, Mr. Bloomberg," she said at a press conference for Heritage of Pride kicking off the march at 52nd Street. "We expect you to be at the head of the march."

Ed Skyler, a deputy mayor, told the New York Sun, "The mayor wants to avoid some of the disrespectful acts that have taken place near St. Patrick's Cathedral during the past parades." Mayors Ed Koch and Rudy Giuliani similarly dissed march participants in this way, with only David Dinkins marching the entire route.

While some marchers shout "Shame!" at the symbol of the anti-gay Catholic Church, nothing worthy of condemnation by the Catholic League has been noted in recent years. Still, on LGBT Pride Day, St. Patrick's resembles a fortress cordoned off by police barricades, with no one allowed to stand on its steps or enter through its front doors.

Several Fifth Avenue churches send their ministers and congregants out into the streets to serve cups of water to thirsty marchers, an idea that does not seem to have occurred to Cardinal Edward Egan or the rector of St. Patrick's.

Posted by: Andy Humm | Jun 29, 2007 2:24:36 PM

16. Anyone want to bet Bloomberg is at least bi, if not gay? He talks about "my girlfriend" all the time, and that voice - it's so gay! Agh, yuck - the guy's a total creep, BUSH's biggest financial backer. A flaming fascist too; it's news that he is pushing a new law to ban video cameras in NYC, and make amateur newshound crews of 2 or more obtain $1 million of insurance. You see, with the Internet We the People are confronting the scoundrels, exposing them with video confrontations to be the scumbags they are: George Allen and the "MaKAKA Moment; Rudy Guiliani confronted on how he told Peter Jennings on 9/11 that he was warned the Towers were going to fall, but then testified to the contrary. Our dictators can no longer rely on the Corporate Media Whores to slant the Bullshit, and so now they want to change the rules. BLOOMBERG - go fuck yourself you closet case!

Posted by: fred fartandjackoff | Jul 11, 2007 7:03:48 PM