Censorship | Education | Gay Youth | Kiss | New Jersey | News

BigGayDeal.com

Gay Kiss Student Still Waiting for NJ Superintendent's Apology

Although Newark Schools superintendent Marion Bolden issued a press apology yesterday for censoring the photograph of a gay student's kiss in 230 of East Side High School's yearbooks, the reports that the student, Andre Jackson, has not yet heard from her personally:

Gayyearbookkiss_2"Mr. Jackson, 18, said that nobody bothered to call him. 'I’m not looking to accept the apology,' he said in a telephone interview yesterday afternoon, a few minutes after he finished his graduation rehearsal. Any apology needed to be personal, and not contained in a press statement, he said. After all, the yearbook incident revived tensions with members of his family he has quarreled with because he is gay, he said. 'I have yet to speak to the board, the school, anyone,' he said."

Bolden's office reportedly told the NYT that a meeting was scheduled for today, but Jackson was unaware of it.

Steven Goldstein, the chairman and chief executive of Garden State Equality, expressed satisfaction that the school had agreed to redistribute the yearbooks to those who want "uncensored" versions, though Jackson rightly felt that everyone should get a new one. Said Jackson: "It’s not about who wants one. It’s about what happened."

Goldstein says he'll insist that the school district meet four times a year with Newark's gay and lesbian community.

Backstory...
NJ Superintendent Apologizes for Censoring Gay Kiss [tr]

Comments

1. Just out of curiousity, I would like to see the photo(s) of straight people kissing there were NOT marked out.

Posted by: Tim in Augusta | Jun 26, 2007 10:04:03 AM

2. -- "there" should read "that" in my comment above.

Posted by: Tim in Augusta | Jun 26, 2007 10:05:10 AM

3. This kid gets my vote for person of the year. Someone should give him a job, internship. award, car, trip around the world.

peace

Posted by: James | Jun 26, 2007 10:21:44 AM

4. Ms. Bolden did not issue an apology. The school board issued an apology in which they, not she, stated that she regretted her actions. There is as yet no personal statement from Marion Bolden indicating that she regrets what she did or the harm she caused. When she has the courage and the integrity to stand up in front of press microphones and cameras and say, "I'm sorry I did that -- it was wrong and stupid", then she will have issued an apology. Until then, there has been no apology and Mr. Jackson is quite right in not looking forward to one.

Posted by: piet | Jun 26, 2007 11:07:42 AM

5. Here I was thinking that a kiss was a sweet expression of affection and that we need more images like that.

Apparently a teen kiss is one of the worst offenses to public decency. And that's not just Ms. Bolden's view, but the view of many here at Towleroad.

I saw no problem with it and I'm pretty intolerant of PDA. Guess it's because I know firsthand that NOT seeing images like these can have a profoundly negative impact on a young, closeted gay youth.

Posted by: mark m | Jun 26, 2007 11:24:34 AM

6. THESE HUSTLERS DON'T WANT AN APOLOGY....THEY WANT MONEY!!! CON ARTISTS...

Posted by: alan brickman | Jun 26, 2007 1:02:53 PM

7. ^What the hell are you on about?

Posted by: Jason | Jun 26, 2007 1:50:38 PM

8. i just wanted to say that i think it's a beautiful photo and it's great to see a real couple enjoying each other.

Posted by: gogo | Jun 26, 2007 5:32:44 PM

9. ...life is way too short for all this hate. this is all about the viewer, and has nothing to do with the content, which should be matter-of-fact at this point...

Posted by: malvolio | Jun 26, 2007 10:17:28 PM

10. Gay or straight, I do not think it's an appropriate picture for a high school yearbook. Doesn't everybody want a year book they can show their grandmother at graduation? I'm glad there weren't closeup webcame shots of people kissing in my yearbook.

Posted by: jacknasty | Jun 26, 2007 11:53:17 PM

11. Gay or straight, I do not think it's an appropriate picture for a high school yearbook. Doesn't everybody want a year book they can show their grandmother at graduation? I'm glad there weren't closeup webcame shots of people kissing in my yearbook.

Posted by: jakeofspades | Jun 26, 2007 11:54:55 PM

12. Seems to me that a photo like that is private. How did it end up in the year book?

Posted by: Jen | Jun 27, 2007 9:12:17 AM