Canada | David Beckham | David Mixner | Election 2008 | Film | Firefighters | Gay Slurs | Hillary Clinton | Los Angeles | Madonna | Nature | News | Provincetown | Rosie O'Donnell | Seattle

News: Mo Magazine, NYT Gay Slur, Hillary Clinton, Provincetown

road.jpg I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry edges out Hairspray at the box office. The ACLU suggests that after having a laugh at Sandler and James, moviegoers "find out what it's really like to be denied legal protections for your family" by visiting 10Couples.org.

Bekchambendroad.jpg Beckham bends it for Los Angeles. Cruises roll out the welcome mat.

road.jpg New York Times Director of Photography Michele McNally named in internal homophobic F-bomb slur that inspired the company to send out a diversity memo.

road.jpg AfterElton tabulates the 100 hottest guys.

road.jpg World Jewish Congress secretary-general Stephen Herbits to head up Hillary Clinton's campaign efforts to the gay and lesbian community: "Herbits has in the past held several positions related to the gay and lesbian community in the United States. In his last post, Herbits served as the personal assistant to Donald Rumsfeld during his term as secretary of defense. He was then appointed secretary-general of the WJC."

road.jpg CDC recruiting uninfected volunteers from Thailand, Botswana and the U.S. to test "pre-exposure prophylaxis" in trial HIV drug test.

Ggbroad.jpg L.A.'s Guerilla Gay Bar group invades Venice Beach and the New York Times takes notice: "the real motivation, according to the group’s manifesto, is to overcome boredom with a 'ghettoized and sub-ghettoized' gay scene — which in Los Angeles is synonymous with the club and bar circuit in West Hollywood. 'There’s a place for gay bars, but we feel gay people have become so segregated that some of them don’t go out into the wider community anymore,' said Matthew Poe, an organizer and the box office manager for UCLA Live, a performing arts producer and presenter. 'We want to suggest that the world is bigger than West Hollywood.'"

road.jpg Frommer's Travel presents a podcast on the issues facing gay and lesbian travelers featuring MTV Roadtrips co-author Kelsy Chauvin, Frommer's editor Kathleen Warnock, Ed Salvato of OUT Traveler, and host David Lytle.

road.jpg Madonna wants to direct movie about ex-con ex-boyfriend Chris Paciello.

road.jpg And the queer men who indie rock.

road.jpg Rosie O'Donnell's R Family takes over family week in Provincetown.

Wwuroad.jpg The World Without Us explores civilization's decay in the absence of human life: "How would the rest of nature respond if it were suddenly relieved of the relentless pressures we heap on it and our fellow organisms? How soon would, or could, the climate return to where it was before we fired up all our engines? How long would it take to recover lost ground and restore Eden to the way it must have gleamed and smelled the day before Adam, or homo habilis, appeared? Could nature ever obliterate all our traces?"

road.jpg Seattle gets a local gay publication, 'Mo. Editor: "We're not a bar mag. ... You're not going to see a lot of 20-year-old men in their underwear. We're both 40-something gay men, so the magazine probably hangs out at the 30-plus-year-old range. And we've gotten great feedback about that. People like to look for themselves. Our mission is to get as many faces in the magazine, as many organizational logos and businesses into the pages as we can.

road.jpg Human Rights Campaign criticized for lack of street-level action, campaign contributions.

road.jpg First-of-its-kind book features gay male Canadian poets.

road.jpg David Mixner on loss, loneliness, and healing: "For me, I have had to grow old without my peers. Without my friends to share the history of those joyous moments before AIDS hit - the flourishing of the Castro Street area, the excitement of the sexual revolution, the sheer high of coming out of the closet and the early days of our struggle for freedom. What a time it was to be alive and to be gay. I loved every day before the darkness hit. I would love to be able to sit around at dinner parties with friends no longer here and reminisce of those glorious days."

Comments

1. Book of Can-gay-dian poetry should've been titled Eh Rhymes with Gay instead.

Posted by: Perceive | Jul 23, 2007 4:06:51 PM

2. Hello Sir I visited your site today and found it interesting I have a blog too here is the url
    So can you also place it on your site I will be very thankful to you thanks in advance

Posted by: geetika | Jul 23, 2007 4:15:24 PM

3. wow... could the AfterElton-100 photo-editing be any worse ?
    whoever did the jpeg selects should be kicked to the curb.

Posted by: A.J. | Jul 23, 2007 4:49:24 PM

4. re: 100 Hot List.
    Eric Dane is at 56 and Thomas Roberts at 69?!
    On my list these two would be tied for first!

Posted by: Mark G | Jul 23, 2007 4:49:49 PM

5. Love the David Mixner quote. We need a little more age diversity on this site, and in our culture in general. I'm 29 and am baffled at how uninterested my generation seems to be in anyone over 40.

Posted by: A | Jul 23, 2007 4:58:11 PM

6. Regarding the New York Times Director of Photography Michele McNally saying the F-bomb slur, homophobia happens at all supposedly liberal gay-friendly companies. It's happened to me at companies known for being VERY gay-friendly. Often, the person making anti-gay remarks is a woman, not a man. Honestly, I don't know if it will ever stop. It makes me feel like I don't belong in the workplace to tell you the truth.

Posted by: O No You Did'nt! | Jul 23, 2007 5:10:49 PM

7. As one of the 10 Couples in the ACLU project I would like to thank you for the plug!

Steve 'n Mark

Posted by: Uncle Zoloft | Jul 23, 2007 5:31:58 PM

8. ...speaking of workplace semantics, I recently left a position, in large part, due to bigoted language in the office. Fat jew bastard, coon and bulldyke were routinely thrown about. The clincher was the majority of the hate talk came from a born-again christian!

Posted by: Jason | Jul 23, 2007 5:33:09 PM

9. Saw the L.A.'s Guerilla Gay Bar group story this morning. Queer Nation, an off shoot of Act Up NY, was doing the same thing a long time ago. Great to see a new generation taking up a new spin. Back then it was bold, now it's looks like just fun.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Jul 23, 2007 6:14:12 PM

10. That Top 100 was fun, but what kind of sick world do I live in where Clive Owen is #55? Clive Owen is sex. He should be #1... and 2... and 3. And Cillian Murphy at #94? Just no. Shave off the 9, and that's more like it.

Posted by: Jordan | Jul 23, 2007 6:48:05 PM

11. Thank God for AfterElton! FINALLY someone in gay media paying attention to what's really important.

Posted by: Paris | Jul 23, 2007 6:55:48 PM

12. So 'Mo Magazine is not going to show any 20-ish guys in their underwear? Yeah - right. I say time will tell on that one.

Posted by: Matilda | Jul 23, 2007 7:18:50 PM

13. If Andy's occasional link to Mixner's site isn't the cyber equivalent of a "pity-fuck", what is?

Another homo in the upper layers of the Republican elite? I bet he could tell what Jeff Gannon was doing during all those erstwhile unexplained White House visits.

Still going from Rummy to the WJC to Hillary shows the concentric nature of Washington Politics.

Posted by: zabadak | Jul 23, 2007 7:49:50 PM

14. A,
    I agree with you that age diversity would be nice. I think there's more to it than just general disinterest in our community of people over 40 though. Part of the problem lies in the tragic fact that many of my peers in the 45 to 55 age range are dead and many who are older than that still come from a generation where being publically out is still very difficult for many. Also if you relate it to the straight world, there's a lot more interest in Paris, Britney and the like than there is in older women. Sad, but true.
    I remain hopefull that the lack of interest for over 40s will change in the very near future.

Posted by: Bill | Jul 23, 2007 8:05:39 PM

15. Zabadak: I'm pretty sure Mixner wasn't ever a Republican. I know he was closeted for years, but I think he even worked on McGovern's campaign (if you use that as a liberal barometer).

Are you thinking of Sullivan? He may be more deserving of your scorn.

(But if I'm missing something, please speak up!)

Posted by: Rey | Jul 23, 2007 8:27:38 PM

16. Why is everyone talking about Hillary? Kucinich stands up for gay people, and he stands up for peace. Let's stand up too: Text the word PEACE, from any mobile phone, to the number 73223, (the numeric spelling for peace). Kucinich will take these messages to the White House! Text for Peace.

Posted by: colin | Jul 23, 2007 9:01:14 PM

17. NO, Rey, is correct. Mixner has long been in liberal, Democratic politics. Before coming out, he was one of the leaders of the anti-Vietnam war movement, probably peaking with the "Vietnam Moratorium" demonstrations in October and November of 1969 which involved hundreds of thousands of people across the country and around the world. [Those were the days!] The hair still goes up on the back of my neck when I remember briefly being caught in a tightening vice of rifle-bearing National Guardsmen, police, etc., mobilized by a frightened and psychotic Richard Nixon, and other soldiers with CANNONS to use against us "if necessary" in Washington, DC.

Along with coming out he was one of the founders of the then most powerful gay political group in LA, MECLA, and was personally involved in getting Ronald Reagan [through a still publicly closeted to this day Repug power broker] to condemn Prop 6 which would have outlawed gay teachers in CA. Reagan, no longer governor, not yet President, wrote in his newspaper column, "I don't approve of teaching a so-called gay life style in our schools, but there is already adequate legal machinery to deal with such problems if and when they arise." Sounds like as much a slap as anything [and Reagan's AIDS legacy remains loathsome] but it's credited as much as anything with seeing the proposition defeated.

But Mixner is best known for bringing Bill Clinton to gay voters and them to him. However, after years of political insider experience, with much respect, he let his optimism about what Clinton could do [and underestimation of how homohating and ruthless Colin Powell et al. were] blind him to how difficult opening the military to out gays would be. The result was DADT and Mixner's bitter public estrangement from the Clintons.

He is one of the advisors to John Edwards campaign, and a certified gay American hero.

Posted by: Michael | Jul 23, 2007 10:01:29 PM

18. Mixner's navel gazing and conceit is kinda ridiculous: "We were so wonderful--too bad we're all dead!" Yeah, those were the days! Not! Frankly, gay 22-year-olds today are really much better off than any previous generation of gay men.

Posted by: anon (gmail.com) | Jul 23, 2007 10:38:59 PM

19. Anon(gmail.com), you are really much better off than any generation because of the David Mixners and any of us over 40 who put out all the fires on a regular basis, and are alive today to tell the story. Michael and Bill know what I am saying.
    As to the AfterElton list, my how pathetic good looks have become. The top 10 would never have made the top 100 back 10-30 years ago. Just another perspective from the older generation!

Posted by: carter | Jul 23, 2007 11:29:44 PM

20. Re: the AfterElton list

First, any world in which Zach Braff is considered hot is a world that ought to be destroyed.

Second, how is Jeremy Bloom 90?

Third and most importantly, how does no one else recognize the supreme hotness that is Greg Kinnear? He should be number 1. Gyllenhaal is seriously beginning to just piss me off, and I've unfortunately never really found him that hot anyway.

Posted by: David | Jul 24, 2007 1:04:40 AM

21. so the oddest people from heroes are on that top100 list but no dominic purcell? it's ok. just going to keep him to myself then.

Posted by: anonymouse | Jul 24, 2007 6:41:01 AM

22. anonymouse... Dominic's mine !!!

Posted by: A.J. | Jul 24, 2007 9:32:38 AM

23. A, SAD TO SAY, IT SEEMS THAT GUYS IN THEIR TWENTIES, THIRTIES AND FORTIES, ARE NOT INTERESTED IN GUYS 50 YEARS AND ABOVE...EVERYTHING SEEMS TO BE HEADING SOUTH (AND NOT JUST FOR THE WINTER SOLSTICE) AND, SILVER, GREY AND WHITE SEEM TO DOMINATE THE COLOR SCHEME...I MYSELF AM 50 AND DARNED PROUD OF IT...I REMEMBER A VISIT TO COLUMBUS, OHIO A YEAR AGO, DURING THEIR GAY PRIDE FESTIVAL, AND A TWENTY-SOMETHING ACTUALLY CAME UP TO ME IN A BAR AND THANKED ME FOR PAVING THE WAY FOR HIM AND OTHER GUYS LIKE HIM...IT CAUGHT ME TOTALLY OFF GUARD...LIKE MR. MIXNER,I WOULD LOVE TO BE WITH THOSE THAT HAVE GONE BEFORE ME...HAVING DONE VOLUNTEER WORK WITH AIDS PATIENTS IN THE JOHNS HOPKINS AIDS UNIT, I HAVE BURIED TOO MANY.

Posted by: CLIFF | Jul 24, 2007 9:40:32 AM

24. Mixner has done more for gays and lesbians--as well as for many other causes--than most of us ever will. He actually gets off his ass and acts. He has failed sometimes, but he's also succeeded. Also, I don't know the ages of the people on this board but can you imagine most--maybe all--of your friends and lovers dying in a few years time? I don't know what it is about these message boards that just brings out the nasty.

Posted by: db | Jul 24, 2007 12:37:12 PM

25. MICHAEL, the reason 22 year olds are better off as gay americans is because of David Mixner's politics and activism. I was there too. I lost 20 of my best friends and probably 100's of thers not as close My friend it was a blast before AIDS hit. We were making history and had not so many of us died we might have made marrige happen way before now. We pushed hard to keep medicines that would kill men with HIV out of their mouths and made the medicines posible so that those are who have HIV now can live healthy into old age. David and all of us who lived through that time are part of your history. Please don't forget us.

Posted by: Pugzz | Jul 24, 2007 1:14:46 PM