Adam Sandler | Film | Kevin James | News

BigGayDeal.com

Star Declares Chuck & Larry "Not" Normal

Chucklarry

Blogger and author Matthew Rettenmund has called on Star magazine to apologize after featuring a photo of Adam Sandler and Kevin James in a mock kiss to promote I Now Pronounce you Chuck & Larry at Shea Stadium. Chuck & Larry, which tells the story of two firefighters who pretend to be gay in order to collect domestic partner benefits from the city fo New York, was the #1 movie at the box office last weekend, taking in $34.8 million.

Star, which according to Rettenmund regularly features a "Stars: Are They Normal Or Not?" section in the magazine, placed Sandler and James in the "Not" portion of the feature.

Writes Rettenmund: "'Pucker up, lover boys!' is Star's suggestion. My suggestion is that Star pucker up and kiss my normal, gay ass."

Trunzo is Dunzo [boy culture]

You may have missed...
FDNY's LGBT Group Says Chuck & Larry's Journey Feels Familiar [tr]
Strange Bedfellows Director Wary of Chuck & Larry Similarities [tr]
Steve Buscemi Defends Pro-Gay Message in Chuck & Larry [tr]
GLAAD Sounds the "All Clear" for Chuck and Larry [tr]

Comments

1. Calling on Star Magazine to apologize for this is like calling on Lindsay Lohan to apologize for being a lush. I mean, come on, people, aren't there bigger fish to fry?

Posted by: Frank L | Jul 25, 2007 12:15:36 PM

2. What do they mean "not normal?" I see guys kissing all the time in ballparks. It's practically EVERYWHERE. When I see hets kissing, it blows my mind!

That said, the definition of "normal" in Psychology (a. approximately average in any psychological trait, as intelligence, personality, or emotional adjustment. b. free from any mental disorder; sane) tends to support that guys kissing is, indeed, normal.

So Star can fuck off.

Posted by: Becks07 | Jul 25, 2007 12:16:30 PM

3. Two straight men making out may be fun, but I wouldn't call it normal.

Posted by: DCN | Jul 25, 2007 12:20:25 PM

4. On second thought, I think Rupert Everett is behind all this.

And Donatella Versace is ugly.

Posted by: Becks07 | Jul 25, 2007 12:22:37 PM

5. I think they mean "not normal" as in the Mets never give you a good reason to kiss anyone at Shea

Posted by: Davey | Jul 25, 2007 12:27:53 PM

6. Davey, you nailed it

Posted by: Zlexar | Jul 25, 2007 12:33:07 PM

7. Okay, so the top grossing movie was 14% on the Tomatoemeter? How is that possible? Are gay men that unpopular? Hmmmm....

Do guys kiss at ballgames because they are drunk? Do they actually ever kiss in the movie? Sandler looks game.

Posted by: anon (gmail.com) | Jul 25, 2007 12:35:20 PM

8. Why did they have to go and start all this trouble anyway? Hey you hets! Just leave us gay boys alone for the love of jesus. Stop asking us who is the wife. Stop obsessing over our dating habits. Stop making movies about us. Stop telling us who we can and can screw with what apparatus covered by which prophylactic. Just stop already. Go focus on the opposite sex which you love so much.

Posted by: Himbo with Highlights | Jul 25, 2007 12:50:12 PM

9. Yeah, what Davey said!

Posted by: Scott | Jul 25, 2007 12:50:51 PM

10. Yeah, Star magazine is just one step above the National Enquirer, and that's just cause it's printed on glossy and not on newsprint. It's just trash and not even worth the recycle costs. Not even very frequent pics of hot guys!

I wouldn't know about the straight guys kissing at sporting events thing, since I'm not really into that sort of thing.

And Becks,
    I think yours was the understatement of the year. Donatella DEFINES ugly.

Posted by: Jordan | Jul 25, 2007 1:01:33 PM

11. Good GOD must we let everything offend us? There is NOTHING normal about Adam Sandler and Kevin James at all.

Posted by: Gregoire | Jul 25, 2007 1:15:05 PM

12. The thought of these two guys pretending to be gay is repellent! I don't get it. What makes me sick is that straight people actually think this is how real gay couples behave. Or worse, that their idea of "coupling" is what we are all about. I will never see this movie nor support it. I can't believe so many people went to see it. Probably the same idiots who voted for Bush. Twice!!!

Posted by: Joe in the OC | Jul 25, 2007 1:33:23 PM

13. Gotsta love how no matter what is said against gay people, there will always be some gay people who want to defend the insult. What Star wrote isn't ruining my life and yes, there are more important things in life. But we shouldn't have to sleep, wake up, eat, fight or fight against the Iraq War, go back to sleep. An insult is an insult and there's no reason it can't be addressed without compromising other priorities. The Star is a fluffy tabloid, but I think people need to respect the fact that it sells 1.5 million+ copies every week and it does shape opinion in our country, like it or not. For that reason alone, it's worth suggesting to them that when they explicitly say that men kissing is NOT NORMAL, it's anti-gay. As for Kevin James, I wouldn't be caught dead in that outfit! :0)

Posted by: Matthew Rettenmund | Jul 25, 2007 1:48:56 PM

14. The mag also has a gay-positive page on Neil Patrick Harris and his boyfriend - why is no one talking about that?

Posted by: Derrick | Jul 25, 2007 1:58:55 PM

15. This is all the time I'm devoting to this joke (And this crap was #1 at the box office last week!) BYE!

Posted by: Stephen | Jul 25, 2007 2:10:35 PM

16. The Star is merely magnifying the problem orginated by the stars of the film who are continuing to play the "here's something that will make you laugh: fags!" bit to promote the film built around that. And where better than during the All-American Pastime. But how can we blame clueless hets exploiting stereotypes for "laughs" and money when Carson & the other fairy godmothers from Fag Eye for the Straight Guy queened their way into a Red Sox game for "laughs" and money to "makeover" some of the players. Carson in a hot pink baseball jersey and cap or sitting uninvited on one of the player's laps or all the scripted bits about how fags simply cannot throw or catch a baseball even against Little Leaguers were so funny I forgot to laugh.

Posted by: Leland | Jul 25, 2007 2:13:41 PM

17. I think the point is that both Adam Sandler and Kevin James are straight, so them kissing in public in real life would not be normal. I am not insulted by the comment.

Posted by: Patrick | Jul 25, 2007 5:04:24 PM

18. I'm insulted by your stupidty, Patrick.

Posted by: Leland | Jul 25, 2007 5:06:25 PM

19. Regardless...Kevin James is as repulsive as Donatella Versace.

Posted by: Jordan | Jul 25, 2007 5:12:24 PM

20. Leland - I have to agree with you 100%

Posted by: gabriel | Jul 25, 2007 5:39:22 PM

21. I think some of you guys are overreacting. That particular section of the magazine, "Normal or Not Normal" is a feature they have in every issue. (I had a free subscription to Star so I saw it all the time.) I really don't believe they were saying 'Not Normal' in that insulting, judgmental way because they frequently have positive mentions of gay celebrities in their articles.

Posted by: Roger | Jul 26, 2007 8:29:03 AM