Anderson Cooper | Election 2008 | News

Anderson Cooper: Going Gray Early is Like Premature Ejaculation

Last night, Anderson Cooper talked to Jay Leno about the YouTube debates, the "spin room", Gloria Vanderbilt, Flock of Seagulls haircuts, hot liquids, riding motorcycles, and his silver mane:

"I started [going gray] young. It's funny. It's like premature ejaculation. You know it can happen, but when it actually happens to you it's kind of a shock."

Anderson will also be doing a stint as a reporter for GNN: Grouch News Network on the 38th season of Sesame Street, which begins on August 13. Cooper broadcasts from a garbage can and is seen below, interviewing Dan Rather-Not and Walter Cranky about the letter "G".

Which stands for...

Gnn

Recently
Smell Like a News Anchor: Anderson Cooper to Get Fragrance? [tr]

Comments

1. Being prematurely silver has it's advantages. I'm not as far along as Anderson but I love mine and some days I wish I even had more.

Besides, you know that they say: better gray than away. How many people do you know that started going bald at 25?

Posted by: MT | Aug 2, 2007 9:17:18 AM

2. G may be for Gloria but it ain't for Glory.

Posted by: A.J. | Aug 2, 2007 9:27:52 AM

3. That was really cute... why doesn't he come out so he can really be my wet dream??

Oh, and Andy.. the video says it is below, but it is above, and vice versa w/ the image :-)

Posted by: gabriel | Aug 2, 2007 9:29:25 AM

4. A female friend of mine is desperately holding on to the last shred of hope that Anderson Cooper is really straight, and is going to come here, pick her up in his arms, and carry her away. I can't blame her, though. I have the same dream.

Posted by: sam | Aug 2, 2007 9:39:35 AM

5. He's been using that premature ejaculation line for nearly five years. I first read about it on Gawker in October 2005... they were quoting from a column he wrote in 2003 for Details magazine.

It's almost like he has canned answers for everything.

Posted by: chrisb | Aug 2, 2007 10:17:54 AM

6. Andy, you're making fun of the man I love. That's so mean...funny, but mean.

Posted by: JT | Aug 2, 2007 10:27:56 AM

7. I see three make-believe beings in that picture. How appropriate that one of them is in a trash can holding something phallic so close to his mouth which itself resembles the unnaturally large urethral slit of a penis pushing through its foreskin.

Guess that makes AC the Head Cheese.

Posted by: Leland | Aug 2, 2007 10:44:40 AM

8. Yeah, he used the premature ejaculation line back in 2005, but have you heard him recycle it before now? I haven't. Normal people reuse jokes at least once every few years. Hell, even comedians do. Most people have lines and stories they fall back on sometimes, but they don't have bloggers tracking every word they've ever said so no one notices or cares.

Posted by: NK | Aug 2, 2007 11:05:42 AM

9. Well, I'm pretty sure there's one hot liquid that Anderson doesn't mind. ;-)

Posted by: Jake | Aug 2, 2007 2:48:18 PM

10. God he is so sexy, even if he is a closet case. Wish I had a snowballs chance in hell with him, but he apparently is into latin twinks.

Posted by: brandon h | Aug 3, 2007 4:33:57 AM

11. I'm not going to comment on AC - seems enough people do that. I love the video but I found through personal experience that the producers of Leno are very vigilant about Leno footage and quite aggressive about keeping it off the net. Just a warning - I got my youtube account yanked for having one segment of Bill Maher on it with Leno. Don't want you to have trouble.

Posted by: Suzanne | Aug 3, 2007 8:03:29 AM

12. I actually don't think he is a closet case. I think he keeps a healthy line drawn between his professional life and his personal one. Choosing *not* to answer The Gay Question is sometimes a polite way of saying "it's none of your business...." which is not something a semi-celebrity can really say out loud and keep any kind of respect amongst fans and potential fans.

When he is no longer famous and on his deathbed I don't anticipate that he's going to blurt out anything a la Liberace, either. His friends will be there and will have already been told. As for the rest of us--it remains, for now, none of our business.

Posted by: Rude Boy | Aug 4, 2007 9:44:52 AM

13. Well said Rude Boy. I agree completely.

Posted by: Mark | Aug 5, 2007 5:00:59 AM

14. By refusing to directly answer questions about his sexuality while constantly hammering us with every other aspect of his personal life (and even permitting CNN to include that abysmal video of his mom in a desperate attempt to revive their ratings), Anderson Cooper has made his sexuality the focus of everything for everyone and it is going to backfire on him BIG time because as many of us New Yorkers are already aware Anderson has starting prowling the darker side of NYC full time and it hasn't been pretty. It will blow up on him pretty soon. I just hate hypocrisy and he wreaks of it.

Posted by: tony the tiger | Aug 5, 2007 6:09:24 PM

15. Could it be that Anderson doesn't give a crap whether anyone knows about his "prowling"? It doesn't seem to me that he's the LEAST bit concerned about the general public discovering his gayness. It's only on forums like these that everyone seems to get into an uproar about his sexuality, AC seems to take everything in stride and I don't think any "blow up" will affect him one way or the other. And further, he has the right to talk about or not talk about whatever he chooses.

Posted by: Dave | Aug 6, 2007 2:57:27 AM

16. Tony, that's "reeks."

Posted by: ligaya | Oct 16, 2007 4:41:31 PM