Anderson Cooper | Elton John | Grooming | News

BigGayDeal.com

Anderson Cooper's Biceps are Man Magnets

Eltonanderson

New York magazine grabbed a moment with Anderson Cooper at the Elton John AIDS Foundation's Enduring Vision benefit Tuesday night, drawn in by what appeared to be some newly bulging biceps.

Anderson explains: "I’ve just been … working with a trainer and uh, I don’t know, lifting a little weight, and running a little. I don’t know....Uh, you know, I just turned 40, so yes, I’m trying to be a little bit healthier now and trying to eat a little bit more sensibly. And also, with traveling so much, you know, it’s tough when you’re in Iraq to do anything, so I try to work out when I’m here....This is really … I sound ridiculous. Wow, well, I didn’t know that New York Magazine would notice my biceps. My trainer will be thrilled. I’m going to pass this along to him. His name is TJ. He’ll be very excited."

Judging from the photo above, it looks as though a couple of other folks were interested in getting a bit closer to those biceps as well.

Iraq Trips Hamper Anderson Cooper's Gym Schedule [new york magazine]

(image source)

Comments

1. oooh..Anderson and TJ sitting in a tree...

Posted by: Davey | Sep 27, 2007 10:33:53 AM

2. Uh, whaaa?

The only thing I can see in that photo is Sir Elton doing a bit of starfuckery. Or is it the other way 'round? I don't know what they're smoking at NYM, but I want some. You know, I just turned 40 too and I didn't feel the need to suddenly pump up my my biceps to the size of "Angelina Jolie's breasts". What the f**k? I want YOUR job, motherf*cker! You can seriously tell me that wasn't coke/booze-induced commentary? I can only assume, of course, judging by the subtext "Party Lines" that Chris Bovzar, Jessica Pressler and Michael Idov are plebian interns with a mutually deviated septum.

This takes AC gawking to an all-time new low.

Posted by: FizziekruntNT | Sep 27, 2007 10:43:36 AM

3. Perhaps this will clue him in that no one takes him seriously.

Posted by: anon (gmail.com) | Sep 27, 2007 10:46:36 AM

4. Hi I’m Anderson Cooper and I can be at this fundraiser because AIDS is not a gay disease because, see, I’m not gay. Really, I’m not. Or am I? It’s just that sucking cock and taking it up the ass are private and I don’t talk about my private life except when I can make money by writing and talking and pimping stories about how many famoust men poked my ugly mother, the pain of losing my father and all the details about my brother’s suicide. Please don’t hate me. Please don’t stop luving me. My trainer? Oh, he's one of Reichen's ex trainer-boyfriends. #32 I think. Talk about giving it to someone up the ass, you should hear the stories he tells! Yes, I care about AIDS. I was just telling a reporter about how some of my young gay friends don't take it seriously. What? No, you can care about AIDS and have young gay friends and not be gay yourself. Have you read my book? What? Do I think self-esteem could play a role in them being sexually reckless and maybe if more publicly closeted gays they admire came out they wouldn't believe what their parents and church and Giuliani and Romney are telling them about themselves? Hmmm. Here's what I...sorry, that's my phone. Gotta get this call. 'Jodie? Hi! How's it hangin'?'...."

Posted by: Leland Frances | Sep 27, 2007 10:55:55 AM

5. Um, okay... let's see 'em...

This is like all those Manhunt ads that advertise foot-long appendages and have no photographic evidence to back it up. I say BS until the pics prove me wrong. :-)

Posted by: Brian | Sep 27, 2007 11:01:52 AM

6. Sometimes Anderson displays the biceps on his show and they are quite impressive for such a skinny guy. TJ's done good work.

Posted by: Ron | Sep 27, 2007 11:20:15 AM

7. Leland Frances ..... snap!

Posted by: Frank L | Sep 27, 2007 12:01:33 PM

8. Anderson used to be ka-yuute, not so much anymore!! I don't know what happened to him. I read his book. Very interesting!

Posted by: Shabaka | Sep 27, 2007 12:49:21 PM

9. If these biceps are such a big deal, why are there no pics of them anywhere?

Posted by: Gregg | Sep 27, 2007 3:19:00 PM

10. Hey dumbasses...if you follow the link provided, it takes you to an article where there is another link that takes you an article that shows the biceps being referenced. They aren't huge, but they are nice. Maybe if you weren't so lazy that you can't even click two links to find it, you'd have bigger biceps yourselves.

Posted by: ACFAN | Sep 27, 2007 3:35:06 PM

11. Though very hot TJ the trainer is actually straight.

Posted by: Giovanni | Sep 27, 2007 3:55:03 PM

12. ACFAN,

the second links to a 'before' picture. read the caption:

"Anderson Cooper at the beginning of the summer.
    We couldn't find a shot of his pipes recently, but
    trust us, they're like a pair of melons wearing tube
    socks."

Posted by: Repose | Sep 27, 2007 4:21:19 PM

13. Leave Anderson alone! You fuckers. If you've got a problem with him, you talk to me. He's been through so much. He just turned 40 and he lives in Manhatten. Leave him alone!

Posted by: JT | Sep 27, 2007 4:59:41 PM

14. Anderson still is quite hot and stylish for a 40 year old guy. He's in great shape and I for one wouldn't kick him out of bed.

Posted by: Dave | Sep 27, 2007 5:52:07 PM

15. Anderson didn't talk about his mother's sex life until she wrote and published a detailed book about the subject. The other "private" details he talk about in writing and appearances were already public too.

As for turning to Cooper to be an outspoken beacon to tortured young people plagued by intolerance and hostile isolated environments...uh, why? I can't think of anyone less fitting for the job.

Are he and these kids supposed to relate to each other? Can there be anyone who had easier circumstances for smoothly accepting his own sexuality than Cooper? He's American aristocracy who grew up in New York. Both his parents were very gay friendly. His dad was a liberal minded, loving, physically affectionate writer who sang him and his brother to sleep every night. His family and friends weren't religious. He attended a private arts focused academy then Ivy League. In his family it was the straight brother who killed himself, and the gay one who still seems to struggle with the concept of why someone would do that. Why would he see value in out celebrities? Celebrities aren't a big deal to someone whose been around them and part of a famous family since he was a baby. When did he have to look to the media for gay inspiration? When he was a kid semi-closeted and uncloseted gays were regular old family friends, including all of the out celebrities of the time that I can think of. And the out ones ended up with messed up lives, spreading misery to others, and not even particularly lauded in the community. How often have you heard guys talking about the inspiration and bravery of people like Truman Capote and Andy Warhol? The semi-closeted ones at least by appearances tended to fairly happy, satisfied lives.

Have you actually seen any evidence that Cooper would be interested in this particular job or see it as important enough to sacrifice some privacy and break with his long standing practice of avoiding divulging anything personal that might tarnish his journalistic integrity by suggesting partisanship? To be honest, except for maybe gay marriage, his journalistically repressed spark of energy appears to be lit by other issues like racism. Plus any time I've ever seen him expressing gratitude to someone for effecting him in his youth it is for blatantly leaving him hanging out to dry in very dangerous situations, or for failing to intervene or help him. He seems to have a distinctly "sink or swim" mentality.

Not ever person is suited to every task or cause. If you want a celebrity guiding the youth out of the closets and into the public eye, I'd suggest you look elsewhere or struggle your own way to the top and do it. Any gay kids with internet access know Anderson lives openly gay at work and his private sphere while being a successful man in a non-stereotypically queer field. He still offers an example from which kids can take inspiration whether he's trying to do it or not. It might not be an example of what you want, but it may be what some kids need and/or what they want for themselves.

Posted by: mh | Sep 27, 2007 7:26:39 PM

16. MH = Anderson?

"Any gay kids with internet access know Anderson lives openly gay at work"???? Prove it. Find us one, just ONE, objective source that proves that. The link will do. What a crock of bullshit. Got any spare thousand dollar bills up that ass you pulled that hallucination out of? Girlfriend, lay off the Tina!

And, once again, we are forced to point out to those with toyboxes for brains like you that nothing above suggested Cooper do anything more than be honest with the public. No one nominated him to lead a parade; have a pink triangle tattooed to his forehead; nor wear a rainbow-colored feather boa on camera. Queer Quislings like you always immediately cut to argumentum ad absurdum because the person you're defending is absurd in his needless cowardice. It's not about "privacy." No one's asking for blow-by-blow accounts of his sex life. But it IS about integrity.

Posted by: Leland Frances | Sep 27, 2007 7:56:02 PM

17. Well said MH!

Posted by: Dave | Sep 27, 2007 10:11:18 PM

18. Tell'em,LELAND..Tell'em! On a serious note though, if Anderson doesn't want to come out which he seems to have decided(and that's his right), then neither should he be idolized as some sort of gay icon. Weird but somehow his situation reminds me of Luther Vandross'.

Posted by: Shabaka | Sep 28, 2007 1:57:50 PM

19. I want to swallow a big load of Andercum Today,Tomorrow,and forever.I want his nuts in my mouth as well.GOD, I Love this man!

Posted by: Robert | Sep 28, 2007 5:08:23 PM

20. Robert, I totally share your sentiments.

Posted by: Ron | Sep 28, 2007 6:31:07 PM

21. People who've worked with him have said for years that he's out at work and always has been. In fact I've never seen nor heard any suggestion that he ISN'T out at work. That's why Out and everyone else say he's in the glass closet - it's hardly a closely kept secret. In fact one of the guys who wrote a feature for Out said explicitly in the Out article that Cooper was out at work back when the guy did a piece for some magazine about ABC news (where Anderson was working at the time). He also said Anderson introduced him to his (Anderson's) boyfriend when he kept trying to drunkenly hit on AC at bar after the interviewing.

It would effect his privacy to come out in the media. When a gay person, especially a good looking one, comes out it opens up up the door to the media speculating about their sex life. Anderson has been around fame and the news enough to know that. He also has the kind of busy social life that, if public, would be incompatible with a gay or straight news anchor if any of the rumors on the net is true on that score.

It would also give people an idea about where he might stand on political issues. He doesn't talk about personal religion convictions, party allegiances and a lot of other things for the same reason. Other old school newsees like Barbara Walters are also zealous about that.

Your criticisms about his hosting were silly. You're suggesting that he denies being gay, which he doesn't do. He doesn't deny, he doesn't beard, and he doesn't even suggest he might once have considered dating some girl back in the distant past. If he was hosting an AIDS event with the view of divorcing himself from homosexuality he would have chosen an event that wasn't Elton John and his husband's, he would have arrived with a woman, he wouldn't have been chatting with a guy reporter in the crowd about his biceps, and instead of talking about his young gay friends on stage he would have focused entirely on AIDs victims he'd met on trips to Africa.

His personal values, self identification, interests, passions, and concept of integrity are probably very different than yours. His life history is almost certainly very different than yours, and shaped him differently. And there's nothing wrong with that. You're different people, and demanding conformity is unfair and unlikely to work. It would be equally pointless for him to accuse you of being a bad person because you're bitching on a message board about kids who get three meals a day instead of flying out to Africa to bring attention to baby famine victims dying wretched deaths.

Posted by: MH | Sep 28, 2007 9:04:13 PM

22. For those who doubt the existence of the biceps:

Posted by: tony | Sep 29, 2007 10:48:51 PM

23. As Anderson said about his biceps on the show, "you need a permit for these guns".

Posted by: Artie | Sep 30, 2007 3:09:28 AM

24. Cooper: "The whole thing about being a reporter is that you're supposed to be an observer and to be able to adapt with any group you’re in, and I don’t want to do anything that threatens that."

Huh. Really? And yet you're able to talk about racism while being quite obviously white.

He's afraid, that's all. I feel for the man, and I hope one day he has the courage to come out and be a role model for gay youth everywhere, but I really don't think his being publicly closeted has anything to do with journalistic integrity, and I don't like that it's always framed that way. It's about personal fear. And it's just a shame, is all.

Posted by: GC | Sep 30, 2007 2:16:13 PM

25. People who know Anderson say he's not the least bit fearful or ashamed of being gay. It could be that CNN has some sort of clamp on him, keeping him from talking about his sexuality. There aren't that many issues he does talk about, including politics. I still don't know where he stands politically. He rarely gives out opinions or says anything that might make him look like he's for one side or another.

Posted by: Eddie | Sep 30, 2007 3:16:53 PM