News: Peru Meteor, Katherine Heigl, Grey Gardens, Brett Somers

road.jpg Katherine Heigl’s fiancé may one day repeat the words of Princess Diana: “There were three of us in that marriage.”

Thorpe_2road.jpg Aussie Olympian Ian Thorpe cleared of doping charges leveled on him in May 2006. Investigator: “The evidence available does not indicate the use of performance-enhancing substances by Mr Thorpe. He has no case to answer.”

road.jpg Diamondback Prison in Oklahoma accused of hiring “homosexual predators” as prison guards.

road.jpg Animated NYC subway map showing the construction of subway lines in sequential order.

road.jpg MSNBC’s Keith Olbermann hospitalized following emergency appendectomy: “Mr. Olbermann’s appendix apparently ruptured Wednesday, but he wrote it off as a stomach ailment and soldiered on. Though still feeling ill, he nonetheless reported for work Thursday night, when he anchored MSNBC’s analysis of President Bush’s prime-time address on the war in Iraq. It wasn’t until Friday afternoon that he decided it was time to seek medical attention, according to an MSNBC spokeswoman.” Get well, sir.

road.jpg CASTING ABOUT: Drew Barrymore and Jessica Lange to star in film version of Grey Gardens for HBO films. Jake Gyllenhaal and Tobey Maguire in negotiations to play Brothers.

Somersroad.jpg Match Game regular Brett Somers dies at 83 after battle with stomach and colon cancer.

road.jpg New York Times to end paid content service “TimesSelect” at midnight Tuesday: “The Times said the project had met expectations, drawing 227,000 paying subscribers — out of 787,000 over all — and generating about $10 million a year in revenue. ‘But our projections for growth on that paid subscriber base were low, compared to the growth of online advertising,’ said Vivian L. Schiller, senior vice president and general manager of the site, NYTimes.com. What changed, The Times said, was that many more readers started coming to the site from search engines and links on other sites instead of coming directly to NYTimes.com. These indirect readers, unable to get access to articles behind the pay wall and less likely to pay subscription fees than the more loyal direct users, were seen as opportunities for more page views and increased advertising revenue.”

Meteorcraterperuroad.jpg Meteor that struck Peru on Saturday causes mysterious illness among villagers: “Residents complained of headaches and vomiting brought on by a ‘strange odor,’ local health department official Jorge Lopez told Peruvian radio RPP. Seven policemen who went to check on the reports also became ill and had to be given oxygen before being hospitalized, Lopez said. Rescue teams and experts were dispatched to the scene, where the meteorite left a 100-foot-wide (30-meter-wide) and 20-foot-deep (six-meter-deep) crater, said local official Marco Limache. ‘Boiling water started coming out of the crater and particles of rock and cinders were found nearby. Residents are very concerned,’ he said.” More

road.jpg Scissor Sisters’ Ana Matronic lashes out at lenient sentence given to UK gay bashers who attacked her friend in July 2006: “I am really horrified and disgusted that, in particular, the one person who instigated this attack did not get sent to jail. She seems like a true menace and someone who is quite capable of doing this type of thing again. I was really shocked when I found out what had happened.”

Comments

1. Will says

I love Ian Thorpe. I wonder if he’d ever let me buy him dinner when he is in Munich.

Maybe it is better that I don’t, I’d probably have my mouth tightly attached to his thorpedo before the end of the salad course.

2. Leland Frances says

Luvs me some Katherine Heigl, ever since “Roswell” tho I was often too busy licking my TV screen every time Jason Behr was on. Why has he almost disappeared [tattoo movie notwithstanding] while other mere mortals like Shia LeBluff or whatever the hell is name is keeps getting jobs?

Luved her more on Grey’s whenever I watch, and luved her ultimately when, no doubt risking her job security, she stood up publicly for T.R. and told a certain someone to just shut the fuck up.

Best Emmy win of the night, along with Helen Mirren.

3. brad says

drew was dead to me forever after donnie darko – she was unwatchable and almost ruined a great movie. is that a photo of jessica lange? i thought it was tammy wynette!

two thumbs down already.

4. Rob says

I love watching Brett and Charles on Match Game on GSN (a childhood favorite). She’ll be missed.

Very weird story about that ‘meteorite’ in Peru. It’s so odd that hundreds of people near the impact site are getting sick – nausea, vomiting, headaches, etc.
    Perhaps the heat of impact mixed with the fertilizers in the farm soil? Or, worse, perhaps it wasn’t a meteor but some man made satellite debris with nuclear materials? Hope to see a follow up story on this one…

5. Becks07 says

@ROB — Everyone is sick because the meteorite contained the Spring John Bartlett line.

As for this Brett Somers news — I am WRECKED. I called some friends and we’re all kicked in the head by this. I loved her on everything she ever did (Odd Couple, MG, other stuff…) and I hereby appoint her as my official female guardian angel (CNR is my male guardian angel).

Sleep sweetly you funny, funny lady.

6. Jordan says

Love Katherine Heigl! She is gorgeous and talented & seems like a really nice person who you’d want for a best friend or sister.

“Homosexual Predators”…isn’t that an oxymoron? (kidding)

And that meteor story has a strange resemblence to the storyline behind the recent tragic Nicole Kidman movie “The Invasion”…..just watch people start turning into emotionless, uncaring, unfeeling machines….WAIT, how could we tell?

7. Oscar says

This is nothing. The greatest slap to gays in America and California is that Sean Penn is going to play Harvey Milk. It is insulting that a lowlife anti-american like Sean Penn is going to try to portrait one of America’s gay personalities. This is equivalent to Alex Baldwin playing Martin Luther King Jr. It is insulting to gays that a man that shames America going to break bread with its enemies like Chavez, Dictator of Venezuela is going to try to represent such a person as Harvey Milk. People in the entertainment business that are gay should protest against this outrage. Everybody should protest this insult.

8. jacknasty says

soulbrotha – “drew was dead to me forever after donnie darko – she was unwatchable and almost ruined a great movie”

Drew produced Donnie Darko, saying she almost ruined it makes you sound foolish

9. Gregg says

Oscar – get a life. Penn is outspoken politically and a wonderful actor. I would be thrilled to see a quality actor like Penn play a POLITICALLY OUTSPOKEN figure like Milk. But I guess if Milk were still alive he’d be too “anti-American” for your taste.

By “lowlife” do you mean that you wouldn’t invite Penn to dinner with you and the Queen? I think he’ll survive that heartbreak.

Plus, he’s got a kick ass bod which I frequently employ in my Daddy fantasies.

10. says

“It is insulting that a lowlife anti-american like Sean Penn is going to try to portrait one of America’s gay personalities.”

Wow. I keep forgetting that Log Cabin Republicans are as annoying as the straight ones. And, yes, it’s true. Free speech and freedom of movement is SOOO anti-American.

11. dc-20008 says

Sorry, how does expressing an opinion, In America, make you un-American? Sean Penn is a true American by freely expressing himself. Someone needs a lesson in the US Constitution!