9/11 | Architecture | New York | News

BigGayDeal.com

WTC "Final Renderings" Revealed

Wtc

Curbed has posted "final renderings" for the towers that will stand alongside the Freedom Tower at the WTC site, which were just revealed, apparently. They're more fully-realized than the designs released a year ago today.

Here they are:

Norman Foster's Tower 2 [curbed]
Rogers Partnerships' Tower 3 [curbed]
Fumihiko Maki's Tower 4 [curbed]

Comments

1. Ooooo--Pretty!

Posted by: Michael W. | Sep 7, 2007 12:24:38 PM

2. Looks like the product of group-think to me. Pretty boring.

Posted by: Gregg | Sep 7, 2007 12:30:55 PM

3. Would you like Freedom Fries to go with that Freedom Tower? Ugh.

Posted by: JOHN IN MANHATTAN | Sep 7, 2007 12:31:38 PM

4. It's nice to see that even above coutless objections; if you look at the city skyline and the relective power of what will be restored, the Towers are back. Just as they were at 9:00am on 9/11.

Posted by: lexxicuss | Sep 7, 2007 12:32:01 PM

5. Something in this rendering looks wrong to me. Other than the fact that it's not a very inspiring looking building.

Has the photo been flipped? It looks as though it was taken from Brooklyn, except that the green towered Woolworth building should be on the right instead of the left. Or am I just nuts?

Posted by: Tom | Sep 7, 2007 12:44:06 PM

6. Dallas on the Hudson. Lurvely.

Posted by: 24play | Sep 7, 2007 12:51:29 PM

7. I *think* thats the green tipped building is 40 Wall Street, not the Woolworth Building. That would mean this picture is facing west, which would explain the blue sky behind the Freedom Towers.

Posted by: Gregoire | Sep 7, 2007 1:15:52 PM

8. I'm pretty sure the green tipped tower is the Woolworth building.

Take a look at this pic of Lower Manhattan from a Brooklyn perspective. 40 Wall is also green at the top, but the brick work is gray not white like the Woolworth Building.

Posted by: Tom | Sep 7, 2007 1:21:24 PM

9. Can you say suburban office park?

Posted by: Marc | Sep 7, 2007 1:33:57 PM

10. Hmmmm, after six years and millions of dollars this is the BEST they could come up with?

I think it is boring and ugly. Not quite the fitting tribute that we were promised.

The golden age of American architecture is certainly long past.

I think they should have gotten some pointers from architects in Dubai, Kuala Lampur and Hong Kong.

Posted by: Zeke | Sep 7, 2007 1:34:32 PM

11. On second thought, the original trade towers were hated too so this is something of a continuation.

Posted by: Marc - same Marc as above | Sep 7, 2007 1:35:46 PM

12. i guess Chicago still rules.

Posted by: A.J | Sep 7, 2007 1:42:57 PM

13. TOM - I believe the rendering is from uptown looking downtown, so we're looking southwest. That explains the placement of the green tipped Woolworth building, the Art Deco Ma Bell building on the far right, and the blue sky behind the towers. So Brooklyn would be to the left, NJ to the right.

Posted by: Gregg | Sep 7, 2007 2:09:45 PM

14. Is that the actual color of the buildings? It clashes with the city's normal muted earth tones. The WTC was a very white/silver, rather unique and looked good at sunset. These colors are too Crate -n- Barrel. Sometimes renderings are done in an off color to highlight the buildings in context though.

Posted by: anon (gmail.com) | Sep 7, 2007 2:18:17 PM

15. Wow. I'm surprised that New Yorkers aren't more demanding with the unexciting additions promised to their skyline.

I agree with 24Play: definitely Dallas on the Hudson.

PS. What are the plans for the memorial park? Are they still doing Michael Arad's memorial?

Posted by: Tread | Sep 7, 2007 2:22:37 PM

16. SO UNINSPIRED!

The initial objections to rebuilding the twins was that nobody would want to work in buidlings that tall. This new building is even taller. Why couldn't they build new twin towers, with new technology, stronger and heat resistent, but in a way that restores the original skyline? There is no better way to tell the religious terrorists: FUCK YOU.

Posted by: ReasonBased | Sep 7, 2007 2:27:54 PM

17. SO UNINSPIRED!

Posted by: ReasonBased | Sep 7, 2007 2:30:01 PM

18. I really don't understand what it is people don't like about them. They look like big, beautiful crystals. I think the most uninspired thing they could do would be to build them to look like they did before.

Posted by: Michael W. | Sep 7, 2007 2:39:54 PM

19. The uptown to downtown view now makes sense. Thanks! I'm so used to seeing the site from an east/west viewpoint, I just couldn't wrap my brain around this perspective.

Posted by: Tom | Sep 7, 2007 2:42:59 PM

20. The original plan looked quite good - a tall, spired building resembling the statue of liberty (very abstractly of course), and it was to be wind powered. Now of course, we have the uber propogandic "Freedom Tower," rising to an oh-so-subtle 1776 feet. How very forward thinking.

Posted by: Scientitian | Sep 7, 2007 3:19:46 PM

21. Upon some research, the name and height were planned from the get-go. Whatever admiration I had for Libeskind is now dwindling rapidly.

Posted by: scientitian | Sep 7, 2007 3:28:41 PM

22. Michael, the twin towers were a symbol of New York, unique and immediately recognizable. These buidlings look like they could be in Kansas City or Indianapolis. Can you imagine if the Eiffel Tower were damaged and the French replaced it with one of these "crystals" ?

Posted by: ReasonBased | Sep 7, 2007 4:23:52 PM

23. BRING BACK THE WORLD TRADE TOWERS!

Posted by: yug fug yug | Sep 7, 2007 4:28:02 PM

24. well, i guess the future has to start sometime.

Posted by: brad | Sep 7, 2007 5:50:49 PM

25. I think the Freedom Tower is plain ugly and Tower 4 is just about the dullest, plainest design I've ever seen in my life. I deem Tower 3 "acceptable" and I actually like Tower 2 (the one with the slanted top) after seeing all of the renderings of it. It's not immediately obvious, but it's actually six-sided. The shape and design is far from "inspired", but it's unique and interesting, and the aesthetics aren't objectionable.

Posted by: Rich | Sep 7, 2007 6:27:09 PM