WTC “Final Renderings” Revealed

Wtc

Curbed has posted “final renderings” for the towers that will stand alongside the Freedom Tower at the WTC site, which were just revealed, apparently. They’re more fully-realized than the designs released a year ago today.

Here they are:

Norman Foster’s Tower 2 [curbed]
Rogers Partnerships’ Tower 3 [curbed]
Fumihiko Maki’s Tower 4 [curbed]

Comments

1. Tom says

Something in this rendering looks wrong to me. Other than the fact that it’s not a very inspiring looking building.

Has the photo been flipped? It looks as though it was taken from Brooklyn, except that the green towered Woolworth building should be on the right instead of the left. Or am I just nuts?

2. Gregoire says

I *think* thats the green tipped building is 40 Wall Street, not the Woolworth Building. That would mean this picture is facing west, which would explain the blue sky behind the Freedom Towers.

3. Zeke says

Hmmmm, after six years and millions of dollars this is the BEST they could come up with?

I think it is boring and ugly. Not quite the fitting tribute that we were promised.

The golden age of American architecture is certainly long past.

I think they should have gotten some pointers from architects in Dubai, Kuala Lampur and Hong Kong.

4. Gregg says

TOM – I believe the rendering is from uptown looking downtown, so we’re looking southwest. That explains the placement of the green tipped Woolworth building, the Art Deco Ma Bell building on the far right, and the blue sky behind the towers. So Brooklyn would be to the left, NJ to the right.

5. anon (gmail.com) says

Is that the actual color of the buildings? It clashes with the city’s normal muted earth tones. The WTC was a very white/silver, rather unique and looked good at sunset. These colors are too Crate -n- Barrel. Sometimes renderings are done in an off color to highlight the buildings in context though.

6. Tread says

Wow. I’m surprised that New Yorkers aren’t more demanding with the unexciting additions promised to their skyline.

I agree with 24Play: definitely Dallas on the Hudson.

PS. What are the plans for the memorial park? Are they still doing Michael Arad’s memorial?

7. ReasonBased says

SO UNINSPIRED!

The initial objections to rebuilding the twins was that nobody would want to work in buidlings that tall. This new building is even taller. Why couldn’t they build new twin towers, with new technology, stronger and heat resistent, but in a way that restores the original skyline? There is no better way to tell the religious terrorists: FUCK YOU.

8. ReasonBased says

SO UNINSPIRED!

9. Michael W. says

I really don’t understand what it is people don’t like about them. They look like big, beautiful crystals. I think the most uninspired thing they could do would be to build them to look like they did before.

10. Tom says

The uptown to downtown view now makes sense. Thanks! I’m so used to seeing the site from an east/west viewpoint, I just couldn’t wrap my brain around this perspective.

11. Scientitian says

The original plan looked quite good – a tall, spired building resembling the statue of liberty (very abstractly of course), and it was to be wind powered. Now of course, we have the uber propogandic “Freedom Tower,” rising to an oh-so-subtle 1776 feet. How very forward thinking.

12. ReasonBased says

Michael, the twin towers were a symbol of New York, unique and immediately recognizable. These buidlings look like they could be in Kansas City or Indianapolis. Can you imagine if the Eiffel Tower were damaged and the French replaced it with one of these “crystals” ?

13. says

I think the Freedom Tower is plain ugly and Tower 4 is just about the dullest, plainest design I’ve ever seen in my life. I deem Tower 3 “acceptable” and I actually like Tower 2 (the one with the slanted top) after seeing all of the renderings of it. It’s not immediately obvious, but it’s actually six-sided. The shape and design is far from “inspired”, but it’s unique and interesting, and the aesthetics aren’t objectionable.

14. Scott says

That spire on the Freedom Tower is so out of proportion. Sure, I understand the 1,776 ft. symbolism, but then just build a building that tall–or at least make it tall enough that the spire looks appropriate. This looks like a giant toothpick dispenser.

15. soulbrotha says

They look like a bunch of crooked teeth.

I cosign on that “Dallas on the Hudson” comment. What would make them more impressive is if they made the buildings totally “green” and energy self-sufficient, using top technology.

16. sugarrhill says

As much as I lvoed the original twin towers everyone in New York thought they were eye sores. And they pretty much didn’t fit the other art deco buildings in the area.

Libeskind’s design was hideous, and impractical. Remember: people have to actually work in the thing. I’m glad they went with something blander. You’d need a lot more room to build something more avantgarde at that height. Also there were various security and structural concerns to address. The buildings that they eventually put up need to be fortress strong.

17. C says

I don’t like these towers. I don’t like any of it; from the name to the design. They’re boring and don’t seem to go with the other buildings. The picture reminds me of one of those ‘What does not belong’ games that you find in magazines. I would have loved for them to rebuild the towers.

18. Made in Texas says

You elitist manhattanites dissing Dallas and other US cities can kiss my ass. Your NYC buildings, including the old WTC werent anything special. You just have more of them one right next to the other. They are mostly old, ugly, and very poorly maintained. Many without decent elevators or no elevators or central air and heat. We knock down or renovate dilapidated eyesores for decent habitation and workspace, unlike you yankees.

19. Jordan says

Those are beyond boring, and look like something from Tokyo or Hong Kong, not New York.

I agree with you, Reasonbased. Nothing would have said “fuck you” to the terrorists than to have them built back bigger, stronger, greener, and with 21st century technology, but with the same skyline in tact.

With this it just makes you wonder “what were they thinking?”