"Ex-Gays" | Barack Obama | Donnie McClurkin | News | South Carolina

BigGayDeal.com

Barack Obama Releases Statement on Reverend McClurkin

Yesterday, I posted about Barack Obama's intention to tour South Carolina for three days with a group of gospel singers in an attempt to shore up voting support from the black community in that state. Among them will be gospel singer Donnie McClurkin, a notorious homophobe who performed at the Republican National Convention in 2004, has vowed to battle "the curse of homosexuality," and believes that gays can be turned straight with religious intervention.

Mcclurkin_3Late yesterday, Obama released the following statement:

"I have clearly stated my belief that gays and lesbians are our brothers and sisters and should be provided the respect, dignity, and rights of all other citizens. I have consistently spoken directly to African-American religious leaders about the need to overcome the homophobia that persists in some parts of our community so that we can confront issues like HIV/AIDS and broaden the reach of equal rights in this country. I strongly believe that African Americans and the LGBT community must stand together in the fight for equal rights. And so I strongly disagree with Reverend McClurkin's views and will continue to fight for these rights as President of the United States to ensure that America is a country that spreads tolerance instead of division."

So does this mean that McClurkin is still part of Obama's gospel tour? If so, I believe he has a big "ex-gay" problem on his hands.

You may have missed...
Barack Obama to Tour with Anti-Gay Gospel Singer [tr]

Comments

1. The ONLY way Obama can turn this back around for me is to either release the "Reverend" McClurkin from this tour.

Or he can bring in Jimmy Sommerville and Andy Bell as additional singers.

Posted by: Rey | Oct 23, 2007 10:51:08 AM

2. Actions speak louder than words.

Posted by: SRB | Oct 23, 2007 10:55:55 AM

3. I kind of see this from the other direction.

If McClurkin had all the integrity and religious conviction he claims he has, he would never do an event with Obama. I'm always impressed how easily convictions can be financially compensated.

I'd really like to see the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence suddenly appear behind McClurkin as backup.

Posted by: David B. | Oct 23, 2007 11:01:42 AM

4. McClurkin = ex-gay

Obama = ex-potential recipient of my vote

Posted by: Becks07 | Oct 23, 2007 11:03:09 AM

5. Blah, blah, blah, blah [Ignore the bigot behind the posuer]. Actions, baby; I don't give a damn what you say, I judge you by what you do.

Posted by: rudy | Oct 23, 2007 11:05:47 AM

6. All of this pandering to the hypocrits (christians) is turning my stomach.

Posted by: Michael W. | Oct 23, 2007 11:14:21 AM

7. Can we say "triangulation" boys and girls?

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Oct 23, 2007 11:18:59 AM

8. Chill guys. This country needs more dialogue and less polarization. The fact that Obama is willing to dialogue with all kinds of people is the kind of action that speaks loudly to me about his qualification for the Presidency.

Posted by: Patrick | Oct 23, 2007 11:22:10 AM

9. Everyone has already beaten me to the punch here, but I am more than happy to add HYPOCRITE to my previous accusation of BIGOT in reference to Barack Obama. Peckerhead.

Posted by: FizziekruntNT | Oct 23, 2007 11:26:03 AM

10. Obama says that African-Americans and gays should work together for equality, then he promotes a bigot who preaches the ugliest myths and lies about gays. The pretty statement cannot be reconciled with the ugly actions. Obviously Obama is not above Bush/Rove style politics of division.

Posted by: sam | Oct 23, 2007 11:29:57 AM

11. oops, thanks for the correct spelling of hypocrite, fizziekruntnt!

Posted by: Michael W. | Oct 23, 2007 11:32:56 AM

12. There is no "dialogue" when it comes to the recognition of my equal humanity. McClurkin stands for everything I despise... bigotry wrapped in the Bible and the American flag, soul-crushing hypocrisy, and the exploitation of the weak-minded. The fact that Obama came out with this super-inclusive and exciting campaign paradigm and then chose to associate himself with the ex-gay cults shows me that his words cannot be trusted.

Sorry, I know it's inflexible of me and I know it doesn't help "bring everybody together". I just sometimes get tired of having the "coming together" process be so one-sided... most of the time the right-wing religious community's idea of "coming together" looks more like an expectation of support for their bigoted and hateful behavior rather than a true desire to offer love, education, and respect.

Posted by: Brian | Oct 23, 2007 11:37:59 AM

13. OH, lest I forget...

PATRICK, perhaps Obama can show us all true solidarity by joining hands on stage with his brother in bigotry Donnie McClurkin and Senator Robert Byrd in the middle and they can all sing "We Are The World". Would that make you happy? Dialogue my ass.

Posted by: FizziekruntNT | Oct 23, 2007 11:39:30 AM

14. ******
    Posted by: Patrick | Oct 23, 2007 11:22:10 AM
    ******

Of course Patrick, then maybe you should feel happy voting for someone who has David Duke hold a fundraiser for them since they must be so willing to dialog with KKK members. If so, I guess you should vote for someone from the big tent Republican party.

If Hillary had a KKK member as a major part of her fundraiser, the Af-Am community would be protesting it with howls of outrage - not feeling all lovey dovey that she's reaching out to dialogue with all kinds of people.

Posted by: beergoggles | Oct 23, 2007 11:43:04 AM

15. Barack Obama would not think it was bringing people together to tour around South Carolina with a gay racist. How touring around with a black antigay bigot brings anyone together is beyond me. This confirms all my nagging doubts about Obama and has pushed me--extremely reluctantly--into the Hillary camp. His pathetic lip service is insulting. If he thinks a little press release is all he has to do to get to continue touring around with that bigot, he needs new advisers. Hypocrite.

Posted by: Steve | Oct 23, 2007 11:45:02 AM

16. Speak the gospel, Brian.....

AMEN.

Posted by: noteasilyoffended | Oct 23, 2007 11:46:42 AM

17. Religious Right-Wing= 23% population

LGTB= 10% population

There's your answer.....

Posted by: noteasilyoffended | Oct 23, 2007 11:50:14 AM

18. I'm with you, Steve. I hadn't made a final choice yet. Now I think I have. I suppose it could still change, but Barak's gay-friendliness is looking shallower all the time.

Posted by: adamblast | Oct 23, 2007 11:52:17 AM

19. It's one thing to applaud Obama's documented efforts to make various groups less homophobic, which I do, but McClurkin is a professional, pathological homohater, and his invitation to participate in the Obama campaign must be withdrawn until McClurkin recants.

If he does not, and they do not, then Obama MUST be opposed in every Democratic primary. BUT, if he gets the nomination, WE MUST VOTE FOR HIM if we value the future of not just gay rights but of the Supreme Court, Iraq, the environment, ad infinitum

Even if he's shaking a tambourine on stage tomorrow night with McClurkin that would STILL not make him as bad as ANY of the Repug front runners who have COURTED homohaters BECAUSE they are [among other things] homohaters not IN SPITE OF it as Obama would be doing. They were doing that just THIS PAST WEEKEND as they all got on their knees to rim the attendees of the "Value Voters" read HOMOHATERS covention.

Obama, like ALL Dem candidates, would end DADTDP. ALL the Repugs support it. Obama, as ALL Dem candidates, supports domestic partnerships and federal benefits for gay couples. Romney viciously tried to destroy marriage equality in MA; Giuliani even condemns New Hampshire's domestic partnerships as "too much like marriage.

Whatever ignorance went into the inclusion of McClurkin [St. Oprah frequently features the equally antigay gospel stars the Winans], Obama has been put on notice. Short of endorsing McClurkin's madness, there is NOTHING he could do in this case that would justify our own ignorance, our voting in November 2008 for any member of the entire CHOIR [Morman and otherwise] of homophobia exploiting/homohating Republicans.

Posted by: Leland Frances | Oct 23, 2007 11:55:35 AM

20. So, you gain among South Carolina's black church folks, but you drive all South Carolina's gays and liberals to Hillary. Hillary wins South Carolina, and now you've got half the Democrats very disappointed in you for the next primary in California.

Smart campaign strategy. Barack you need to tell your staff they fucked up badly.

And folks, as bad as the Donnie McClurkin crowd is, please don't forget their counterparts in the Southern Baptist Churches who support Republicans.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Oct 23, 2007 12:05:26 PM

21. Barack is so over. Not only because of this issue. Just in general. Hillary is unstoppable. People just love to hate her too much.

Posted by: jeff | Oct 23, 2007 12:07:33 PM

22. There are some truly frightening posts regarding homosexuality here: http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2007/10/23/obama-takes-heat-for-link-to-mcclurkin/#comments

I'm amazed at the number of people who have posted that believe homosexuality is a choice.

Posted by: peterparker | Oct 23, 2007 12:16:11 PM

23. Being Canadian, I know that I won't have to worry about voting or not for Obama. But I can't help but agree with BRIAN and so many others here, that there's no room for dialogue when said dialogue is one sided. And to strip someone of their rights based on one's personal beliefs has no excuses in my books.

Posted by: Shabaka | Oct 23, 2007 12:26:44 PM

24. you can't blame obama for playing the game of politics you americans created in the first place.

Posted by: brad | Oct 23, 2007 12:49:37 PM

25. Campaigning with an ex-gay does not make me think Barack is seriously on the side of the community. Does he really believe we can be "fixed" by therapy or good ole Jesus?

Maybe he'll have Holocaust deniers and no global warming Exxon shills on his campaign bus next.

Posted by: Marco | Oct 23, 2007 12:50:07 PM