Jake Gooberballs Appears on Letterman

Gyllenhaal1 Gyllenhaal2

Jake Gyllenhaal is making the talk show rounds promoting his new film Rendition. Last night he appeared on Late Night with David Letterman and told Dave the story (below, left) of how he came to be called Jake Gooberballs.

Above, shots of his arrival to the show.

And this morning on the Today show, Meredith Viera asked Jake if “he knew what he was sitting on” when he signed up to do Brokeback Mountain

Recently
Jake Gyllenhaal on Friday Night with Jonathan Ross [tr]

(image source)

Comments

1. Gianpiero says

The beard-and-pinstripe combination is a much hotter look on him than I would have guessed….

2. realitythink says

Does anyone else find that clip from the Today show highly insulting? The homophobia, in the guise of silly sophmoric laughter is really unbelievable. How many gay people do you think work at NBC? They’re ok with this?
    They can’t even see how insulting it is but we need to call them on it when they do it.

3. mepaul says

insulting? get a life, dude. it is, arguably, sophomoric, but Meredith Viera is about as far as you can get from being homophobic and she was being silly. that’s all. if you’re insulted you reveal yourself to be incredibly thin skinned. and humorless. With all the horrific instances of real homophobia in the world, that you would find fault with this is stupefying.

4. says

…though, the appeal of Meredith Viera is completely beyond me. She’s the highest-paid woman in television, and I find her simply bland, boring and edge-free…..wait, perhaps I’ve answered my own question…

5. Jordan says

I laughed too at Meredith’s comment this morning. I like her a lot. She seems real and warm, unlike so many others on tv. And as for being the highest paid? I thought that went to Katie Couric’s 100 million deal with CBS (can’t stand that fake bitch).

As for Jake, yeah, he was well dressed, but what’s with that horrible beard? I’ve always thought he had a wolfen look, but now he really looks like a werewolf. Maybe that’s his halloween look.

6. Mylie says

Jordan, the beard is for an upcoming movie, Brothers. He mentioned it on Regis and Kelly.

I think Jake is great in interviews. He has a warmth, charm and ease. Plus he looks fantastic in the suits.

7. jake rox says

Please. If any of you nellies saw him at a gay bar, you’d be tripping over yourselves to toss his salad, beard or no.

8. Gregg says

I rarely watch Meredith Viera, but I have seen here several times speak about gay issues, and she has to be one of the LEAST homophobic folks on TV. This was a silly double entendre, nothing more.

9. Jaimie says

He’s good looking for sure (and looks super-gay with that beard, but it’s just what I’d expect from a wanna-be ironic hipster) yet I’m starting to find his “wacky” talk show appearances a lame excuse for a personality. You got into the business via Mommy and Daddy, Jake, it’s ok.

10. frogger says

Oh, Jake, just take off your shirt so we can see that beautiful chest AND the beard at the same time. Good lord, I need a cold shower.

11. says

The beard is one of those “I’m too pretty so now I’m wearing a beard so that I’m not as pretty” thing. Ryan Phillipe anyone?

The problem is that you never come back from that… And later when you want to be pretty it isn’t there. Sigh.

12. says

13. says

14. says

15. Nick says

Stupid question of the day……(drumroll)….

is there some hidden meaning to calling that fabulous man “Gooberballs”?

Thanks,

XOXO

16. Joshua says

Apparently some of you are not capable of reading the English language. So…here is large letters is the reason for the beard.

HE IS GROWING IT FOR HIS NEXT MOVIE PROJECT!!

Geesh.

17. jemmytee says

Why are we paying attention to this man? Just because he’s cute? And he was in a gay-themed movie? Never mind he advocates torture?

18. NO says

Jemmytee, you should watch this interview. http://news.sky.com/skynews/video/videoplayer/0,,30200-1288318,.html It explains Jake’s feelings on torture and Rendition much more clearly than that other interview that everyone rushed to judgement on. Shows the difference between a sit down interview and a very heavily edited one for a showbiz show which thrives on controversy.

19. Meme says

Um, Jordan, see some of the above posts re: Jake’s beard growth, lol.

I may be in the minority, but I think he looks really great in the beard. He has been really great in all these interviews. More importantly, he is a very talented actor and I am looking forward to Rendition.

Jaimie, you sound a bit jealous.