Great Britain | Jake Gyllenhaal | News | Television

BigGayDeal.com

Jake Gyllenhaal on Friday Night with Jonathan Ross

In London to attend the premiere of his film Rendition, Jake Gyllenhaal appeared on Friday Night with Jonathan Ross to talk about that film as well as Brokeback Mountain.

GyllGyllenhaal joked to Ross that he swims to England and back rather than take a plane in order to help the environment. He also talked a bit about his love life and let it be known that "at this point" in his career it matters who gets his romantic attention.

ROSS: Before you go, let me ask you a question on behalf of many of the ladies in the audience perhaps the band as well here? Are you a single man?

GYLLENHAAL: On behalf of which, the band or the ladies?

ROSS: With your career, does it matter Jake?

GYLLENHAAL: At this point, yes. On behalf of the ladies, I'm single. On behalf of the band, i'm not.

Comments

1. And...?

Posted by: Richie | Oct 15, 2007 9:38:27 AM

2. Oh, Jake. I have loved and admired you so far. Please don't disappoint me by becoming an asshole.

Posted by: Lucy | Oct 15, 2007 9:46:11 AM

3. Lucy, how would he become an asshole? I don't know why Andy had to make a big deal of the question and answer Jake gave about his love life. I was more interested in Rendition and found him very charming and a very good interview.

Posted by: TS | Oct 15, 2007 9:50:39 AM

4. Gyllenhaal overkill...

Posted by: Paul | Oct 15, 2007 9:58:52 AM

5. ...meanwhile Reese is somewhere stepping in front of a bus.

Posted by: Andrew | Oct 15, 2007 10:01:59 AM

6. Paul, you can use the scroll button. I enjoy the Gyllenhaal posts. Thanks, Andy.

Posted by: Meme | Oct 15, 2007 10:10:03 AM

7. Yikes, that beard is giving me Quaker council leader flashbacks! Make it stop!

www.theskinofmyteeth.com

David B.

Posted by: David B. | Oct 15, 2007 11:35:38 AM

8. TS, I don't want to make a huge big deal about it, as I agree it's really minor - I just find it a bit disappointing that he has to make SURE and point out that he's straight. Jonathan was clearly making a joke, and Jake could have just laughed and said "I'm single". He didn't have to go out of his way to make sure everyone understood that HEY, MEN HAVE NO CHANCE WITH ME.

Posted by: Lucy | Oct 15, 2007 11:37:13 AM

9. Um, LUCY? He's straight. Why should he avoid saying he's straight if he's straight? It's just a fact. He has no obligation to censor himself to placate anyone's unrealistic fantasies.

Would I enjoy fooling around with him? Sure. He's adorable. But it ain't gonna happen, and I don't need him to pretend like it COULD happen.

Posted by: Gregg | Oct 15, 2007 11:57:37 AM

10. "he's straight"... Um, GREGG? I know that. And so, I would venture to suspect, does the vast majority of Jonathan's audience. So why not just take a joke as a joke?

Posted by: Lucy | Oct 15, 2007 12:18:11 PM

11. Bravo Gregg. The voice of reason (sadly lacking when it comes to Jake..)

Posted by: atheist | Oct 15, 2007 12:18:42 PM

12. He's definitely a little weird.

Posted by: anon (gmail.com) | Oct 15, 2007 12:24:35 PM

13. Well, Lucy, I think it's perfectly fine that Jake lets people know he's straight. Isn't there something in the gay community about being who you are? Straight guys say they like women. It happens.

As far as taking a joke as a joke, I imagine he's heard such jokes many times before, and occasionally, he might answer differently. It doesn't mean that he didn't take it as a joke because he didn't answer in a way that you liked.

Posted by: Jon | Oct 15, 2007 12:26:36 PM

14. "At this point, yes. On behalf of the ladies, I'm single. On behalf of the band, i'm not." - let's analyze, he doesn't have any gf but he already has a bf, which means he's bi/gay. Now, who is the bf? discuss.

Posted by: GQ | Oct 15, 2007 1:26:12 PM

15. "At this point, yes. On behalf of the ladies, I'm single. On behalf of the band, i'm not." - let's analyze, he doesn't have any gf but he already has a bf, which means he's bi/gay. Now, who is the bf? discuss.

Posted by: GQ | Oct 15, 2007 1:27:20 PM

16. It sounds to me as if jake is saying he IS GAY.

Posted by: what the? | Oct 15, 2007 1:57:19 PM

17. It sounds to me as if Jake is saying he is straight.

Posted by: Sy | Oct 15, 2007 2:02:23 PM

18. Sounds to me like he said he is staying in the closet for the moment. Do people really think he is straight? He hasn't had a girlfriend that he has admitted to since Kirsten Dunst and that was 2 years ago, over 3 if you count from when the first broke up. Everything else is anonymous tabloid and magazine fodder. Even in the GQ article he could only talk about marriage women in a very abstract manner. So much meta talk that people don't seem to catch the obfuscation.

Posted by: Roger | Oct 15, 2007 2:10:24 PM

19. ... or he's walking the PR line so he doesn't alienate fans of either persuasion. I'm starting to doubt whether he's gay. And, frankly, that makes him less appealing.

Posted by: jeff | Oct 15, 2007 2:23:59 PM

20. Jake is looking for another A list actress that's why there "seems" to be a drought in , he ain't dragging no waitress to premieres if you get my drift, Mom and Pop would have a fit. Reese fits that, and he has been sniffing around but she isn't interested in anything serious I hear. He wants to play abnd she doesn't, and no D-list bimbo will do. The meta talk and obfuscation is an act, just ask Papa Gyllenhaal.

Posted by: Calamity Jane | Oct 15, 2007 2:28:02 PM

21. Wait, Calamity Jane, so Jake's genuinely interested in chicks? And Reese is not just a beard? Okay, fine. It can't hurt to dream: of what a wonderful hero he'd be for the gay community, only real beards instead of metaphorical ones. Speaking of beards, I'd love to just sit on his face.

Posted by: r.i.p. toothy | Oct 15, 2007 2:33:03 PM

22. That's it Calamity Jane! You have just turned Jake into what would have to be one of the shallowest actors in Hollywood with that scenario, but at least he isn't gay! Matt Damon married some one who wasn't a big star. She was in the trades, a makeup artist or something like that. Didn't seem to hurt his career. Does anyone think Jake is that shallow and manipulative?

Posted by: Roger | Oct 15, 2007 2:44:47 PM

23. For God's sake, just have a look at the "band", I would of have said no as well : )

Posted by: Rafael | Oct 15, 2007 2:49:12 PM

24. Order in the courtroom boys and gyals!! Jake says he's straight (jokingly or not), then we should take his word for it. Str8 u are,Jake! (you sexy hunk of str8 man,you!)

Posted by: Shabaka | Oct 15, 2007 3:13:31 PM

25. Ladies! Ladies! I assure you, Jake is *not* gay (though I sincerely wish he were). Three years ago I lived for a couple of months at The Chateau Marmont, which is a celebrity haunt here in L.A.. One evening, I left my room and headed down to the lobby via a little-used stairway that is somewhat off the beaten path. As I rounded a corner I saw Kirsten Dunst cuddling in a corner with a tall, dark haired guy. She was gazing into his eyes and had that googly-eyed, I'm-in-love-wtih-you look written all over her face. Of course when I returned to my room a few moments later, I used the same path. It was then that I realized the guy whose eyes Kirsten had been gazing into was Jake Gyllenhaal...and this time I could see that he was gazing right back into hers. None of this was done for an audience because there was no one around. And it wasn't done for a paparazzo's camera either because The Chateau has a very strict 'No Cameras' rule...they will kick your ass out if you so much as pull a camera out. What I witnessed was a little private moment (that I just happened to ruin) in an out of the way corner of the hotel. I wish I could say I caught Jake snuggling with some hot guy, but that wasn't the case. Sorry.

xo,