Books | Daniel Radcliffe | Dumbledore | Film | I'm Gay | J.K. Rowling | News

Daniel Radcliffe: Dumbledore "Camping it Up" on Harry Potter Set

Daniel Radcliffe talked to British TV host Michael Parkinson on his talk show Parkinson over the weekend about his film My Boy Jack. Towards the end of the conversation, Parkinson brought up J.K. Rowling's recent revelation that wizard Dumbledore is gay, and asked how it has affected the recently-begun shooting of the sixth installment of the Potter series. Here's what Radcliffe had to say:

Potter_dumbledoreParkinson: And the revelation of course, that old Dumbledore is gay!

Radcliffe: Yeah, I know! That was hilarious!

Parkinson: I know. Does it make a difference on the set?

Radcliffe: [Michael Gambon has] been camping it up around the set like nobody's business. Not in the film. Although we actually did film a scene the other day, and I'd like to emphasize this point that the script was written before this revelation - I don't think [screenwriter] Steve Kloves had any prior knowledge. But there was a scene the other day where Michael had to come in and say to another character and tell him how much he loved knitting patterns..he just adored saying that.

Clips below:

Comments

1. I find it so inherently hilarious when people are gay. Especially when they camp it up and knit patterns.... which is of course what you really ought to be doing when you're gay, never mind what your character was like before.

Posted by: Lucy | Nov 5, 2007 11:35:47 AM

2. Chill out, Lucy.

Posted by: adam | Nov 5, 2007 11:56:15 AM

3. No.

Posted by: Lucy | Nov 5, 2007 11:58:01 AM

4. Your reaction is up to you. My reaction is up to me. Frankly I really couldn't care less whether you like it or not.

Posted by: Lucy | Nov 5, 2007 12:00:58 PM

5. And we Lucy could care less about your reaction or opinion.
    If you truly believe that a gay man should
    "be camping it up and knitting patterns"
    then your repugnant ignorance is something to be scorned.
    Luckly the rest of the world is more inlightened than you.

Posted by: griffin1573 | Nov 5, 2007 12:18:47 PM

6. Griffin, you are sarcasm's bitch.

Posted by: Jason | Nov 5, 2007 12:28:19 PM

7. Sigh...he's beautiful.

Posted by: peterparker | Nov 5, 2007 12:35:08 PM

8. I'll take that as a compliment Jason.
    Thank you.

Posted by: griffin1573 | Nov 5, 2007 12:36:34 PM

9. We think Lucy was being sarcastic. But amount of attention, postive and negative, about a FICTIONAL character being gay just shows what a fucked-up, homo nuts world we still live in. How I wish Radcliffe would have responded, "That's a really stupid question, don't you think?"

The ONLY good thing about the topic is that, so far, I've not seen any of the ever-with-us idiots writing, "everyone already knew he was gay/he was always out to his friends/he doesn't have to come out if he doesn't want to blah blah blah" that invariably ends up in posts about Anderson Cooper or when someone, unlike him, does come out.

Posted by: Leland Frances | Nov 5, 2007 12:41:20 PM

10. Everyone in NY knew Dumbledore was gay. You'd see him flying around on his broomstick with his boyfriends.

Posted by: anon (gmail.com) | Nov 5, 2007 12:52:08 PM

11. If indeed Lucy was being sarcastic.
    Then I owe an apology and I certainly offer it.
    If, however,she was serious.
    And we all see that kind of opinion pop up here from time to time.
    Then my original comment stands.

Posted by: griffin1573 | Nov 5, 2007 1:05:40 PM

12. I read Lucy's response as sarcastic and feel the same way. I am so tired of camp = queer I am knitting Daniel a "shut the fuck up" blankey as we speak.

Posted by: Marco | Nov 5, 2007 1:24:45 PM

13. He's really becoming quite a handsome man, isn't he? And it seems that he's a pretty damn good actor too. I look forward to more from this guy.

Posted by: Jonathon | Nov 5, 2007 2:26:51 PM

14. But Camp is intrinsically Queer!

Main Entry: 3camp
    Function: noun
    Etymology: origin unknown
    Date: circa 1909
    1: exaggerated effeminate mannerisms exhibited especially by homosexuals
    2 a: something so outrageously artificial, affected, inappropriate, or out-of-date as to be considered amusing b: a style or mode of personal or creative expression that is absurdly exaggerated and often fuses elements of high and popular culture

Posted by: Rey | Nov 5, 2007 3:43:55 PM

15. Someone fill me in... What's wrong with a good camp session? And as long as Dumbledore isn't knitting rainbow-colored granny squares.....

Posted by: noteasilyoffended | Nov 5, 2007 3:58:05 PM

16. I saw a gay knitting on MUNI this morning. He was using multicolored yarn (think all the colors of the rainbow), which is pretty campy.

Posted by: davitydave | Nov 5, 2007 4:37:30 PM

17. I couldn't believe it when I found out Dumbledore was gay. I personally don't mind it, it doens't matter to me. I still like Dumbledore.

Posted by: Mallory | Nov 5, 2007 7:21:51 PM

18. He said the script was written and they started filming before Rowling said she pictured dumbledore as gay, so that isnt in tne movie.

the other stuff is just actors joking around. I think its funny to think an old gay wizzard like to knit lol

Posted by: jacknasty | Nov 6, 2007 1:46:50 AM

19. She said she had to write a note to the writer that Dumbledore was gay because she had always pictured him as gay and they were going to do a scene where he reminisced about a woman.

But yes, the actors are all joking and everyone needs to lighten up about this stuff. Dumbledore is a fictional character which is why Radcliffe is joking around about it.

Posted by: Kim | Nov 6, 2007 11:57:46 AM

20. MARCO: "I read Lucy's response as sarcastic and feel the same way. I am so tired of camp = queer I am knitting Daniel a "shut the fuck up" blankey as we speak."

LOLOLOLOLOLOL. That's so funny.

I'm pretty sure Lucy was indeed being sarcactic people.

About Radcliffe and his comments, this shows he's just really inmature and childish. He should've said "So???" or something like that.

Posted by: Danny | Nov 6, 2007 2:05:26 PM

21. Saying something like "that's a stupid question" would just be unnecessarily harsh. It was a joke, and it wasn't malicious. Daniel Radcliffe is not out to get us, people.

Posted by: GC | Nov 12, 2007 12:52:53 AM

22. Also, not that it even matters, but he wasn't even the one who came up the knitting thing.

And as a sidenote, let's not hate on knitting. Knitting is pretty awesome.

Posted by: GC | Nov 12, 2007 12:54:35 AM