Amy Sedaris | Dolly Parton | Music | Music Video | News

Dolly Parton: Better Get to Livin'

Can't get much better than a new Dolly Parton video in which Amy Sedaris has a bit part.

Comments

1. Dolly is truly an American classic: talented, beautiful, genuine, and non-judgmental. She is one of the all too few stars who still takes time to talk to the people in her shows and fans on the street. The world is a much brighter place with Dolly in it. What a great holiday season gift.

Posted by: rudy | Nov 28, 2007 5:29:29 PM

2. holy fuck. my mind just melted. and then exploded.

Posted by: page001 | Nov 28, 2007 5:39:03 PM

3. Dolly+Amy=Brilliant Combination

Dolly's made some very fine traditional albums in the past several years, all virtually and scandalously ignored by generic country radio. (She's too old and, ironically, too country for them now.) Looks like she's aiming for a hit with this--she deserves it again, even if I prefer her bluegrassy stuff.

Posted by: Ernie | Nov 28, 2007 5:39:35 PM

4. I love this song. Thanks for the video link. It's been in the Top 60 at country radio and maybe the video will help.

Posted by: Roger Newcomb | Nov 28, 2007 5:42:32 PM

5. Rudy, I totally agree. Thanks Andy for sharing Dolly with some of us older guys who just can't seem to apreciate this generation's music. I keep thinking I know how my parents must have felt when I was jamming to tunes of the 80's.

Posted by: Ken Atkins | Nov 28, 2007 5:42:47 PM

6. Funny how no one ever demands that Dolly come out of the closet.

Posted by: Giovanni | Nov 28, 2007 6:04:25 PM

7. Ah, Andy, ya should have mentioned the "my boyfriend went into shock as a child seeing Dolly's boobs at an airport" story. LOL.

God bless the country child who finally got her own! Though she was fucking ROBBED of her Oscar for her fabulous song from "Transamerica"!!!

Posted by: Michael | Nov 28, 2007 7:04:29 PM

8. Dolly is a national treasure, with her own treasure chest.
    Her cover of 'Stairway to Heaven' is a revelation. 'Jolene'- brilliant. 'I'm Gone'- freakin genius. That scene in 9 to 5 where Dolly, Lily Tomlin and Jane Fonda smoke pot and hallucinate? Would NEVER happen today. Love love love me some Dolly. Chorus from 'I'm Gone'

You can tell the truth or you can lie
    You can say I left you or I died
    Say I'm in the Himalayas on some spiritual quest
    And could spend years lookin' for the light
    Say I'm in the witness program with the F.B.I.,
    Say a U.F.O. abducted me from home
    You can say what you chose, but I tell you the truth
    You can say for sure I'm gone, 'cause I'm gone

Posted by: dc10001 | Nov 28, 2007 7:07:01 PM

9. Dc10001--Remember, Dolly refused to be filmed actually smoking the joint in that 9 to 5 scene around the dinner table. Only Lily and Jane are shown actually toking up. Dolly was afraid her fans would be offended.

And Giovanni, I assume you're going back to your irrational support of Anderson Cooper in your comment. Has Dolly been spotted at Henrietta Hudson's with a girlfriend? Do tell!

Posted by: jmg | Nov 28, 2007 7:24:50 PM

10. These two together are too good for this earth, only, thankfully, not.

Now I'm verklempt.

Posted by: Michael | Nov 28, 2007 7:34:18 PM

11. These two together are too good for this earth, only, thankfully, not.

Now I'm verklempt.

Posted by: Michael | Nov 28, 2007 7:34:31 PM

12. These two together are too good for this earth, only, thankfully, not.

Now I'm verklempt.

Posted by: Michael | Nov 28, 2007 7:34:53 PM

13. I love Dolly. Don't particularly like her music, but she seems like a real, genuine, and sweet person, which is more than I can say for a lot of people I know (or even people here)

Posted by: Jordan | Nov 28, 2007 10:17:55 PM

14. Rudy said it all :)

Posted by: Chaq | Nov 28, 2007 10:57:27 PM

15. I love this woman. She's pure Americana, and better than most of les fausses tramps in showbiz. As she once famously said, "It takes a lot of money to look this cheap." And damn! six years older than me and STILL looking good! The glorious thing about her is she doesn't hide her light . . . c'mon, Elton John's flatmate in Atlanta? Like many, she doesn't proclaim, she lives her life, which is the whole point of the clip, n'est-ce pas?

Posted by: Leducdor | Nov 29, 2007 5:36:45 AM

16. Gotta love her! And her better line ever,
    She said that if she were not born a woman, she would be a drag-queen.

Posted by: bm | Nov 29, 2007 7:54:37 AM

17. ♪I ♥ Dolly ♪

Posted by: 1♥ | Nov 29, 2007 9:02:52 AM

18. Wow! What a find!

Posted by: Bernie | Nov 29, 2007 5:03:19 PM

19. Dolly is amazing. Thanks to you guys for taking an interest in her. You can cvisit my site (please do) for all upto date info on Dolly here:

Dolly has a brand new CD out on February 26th called ''BACKWOODS BARBIE''
    Joe Skelly, Cumbria, Uk