Film | Football (American) | Jake Gyllenhaal | Joe Namath | News | Sports

Jake Gyllenhaal to Play Hall of Fame QB Joe Namath

Joe_namath

Jake Gyllenhaal may get a chance to wear that Jack Twist moustache again but this time he'll be doing it for the ladies. Gyllenhaal is set to play Hall of Fame New York Jets QB Joe Namath for Universal (once the writer's strike is over and a script is written).

JakeVariety reports: "While other quarterbacks racked up bigger lifetime stats, Namath became the first football player to achieve rock-star status. The pic will tell the story of how the golden-armed kid from Beaver Falls, Pa., became Broadway Joe, the New York Jets quarterback who became a '60s cultural figure. When Namath emerged from Bear Bryant's football program at the U. of Alabama, the upstart American Football League was the stepchild to the powerhouse National Football League. Sonny Werblin, who'd left MCA after the Justice Dept. broke up Lew Wasserman's company, knew the value of star power and was determined to use it when he bought the Jets. He outbid the NFL, paid Namath a record $400,000 salary and turned him loose on New York. The handsome nonconformist became a sensation, on the field, in nightclubs and on Madison Avenue as the first star to become a magnet for commercials."

The film and casting has Namath's blessing, so who knows if we'll see some of the seedier elements of his career, such as his alcoholic womanizing. But hopefully, well see some beefcake moments, as well as a recreation of this Beautymist pantyhose commercial.

And for a more recent Namath boozy classic, follow the jump...

Comments

1. ah the 60's, i was a sweet young thing then, in my teens in fact, so i'm sure i masturbated to his picture once or twice, yeah joe was hot... i think Janis Joplin had a one nighter with him or so she said...

Posted by: the queen | Nov 28, 2007 9:12:35 AM

2. I remember that commercial from my youth, drooled over it and I wasn't even in puberty yet.

Posted by: davefromtampa | Nov 28, 2007 9:16:29 AM

3. Sure Joe... sure. You don't wear pantyhose... uh huh. Even though you're looking a little too comfortable, I'll go ahead and just take your word for it.

Posted by: Inarticulate Fumblings | Nov 28, 2007 9:40:41 AM

4. Sure Joe... sure. You don't wear pantyhose... uh huh. Even though you're looking a little too comfortable, I'll go ahead and just take your word for it.

Posted by: Inarticulate Fumblings | Nov 28, 2007 9:41:05 AM

5. Sure Joe... sure. You don't wear pantyhose... uh huh. Even though you're looking a little too comfortable, I'll go ahead and just take your word for it.

Posted by: Inarticulate Fumblings | Nov 28, 2007 9:42:43 AM

6. My father played in the Super Bowl with Joe Namath! He used to come to our house for barbeques!

If this movie is made, I will go to the premier, abduct Gyllenhaal, and rent him out to all of you.

Posted by: David | Nov 28, 2007 9:59:24 AM

7. Sounds like the perfect casting choice (at least visually).

Posted by: Steven. | Nov 28, 2007 10:08:15 AM

8. Woof! I don't even know who Joe Namath is (or was), but that top photo is hot!

Posted by: Jordan | Nov 28, 2007 11:38:31 AM

9. @Jordan - you immediately got my attention when you said you looked like a better version of Benjamin Nicholas in another post. But now you're just making me feel old. And I'm not even 40 yet!

Posted by: Gregg | Nov 28, 2007 11:53:21 AM

10. Mmm, Joe Namath was yummy enough -- but Jake in football drag... delicious.

Posted by: cb | Nov 28, 2007 12:20:52 PM

11. That clip of Joe Namath drunk on the sidelines is fucking hilarious!

Posted by: peterparker | Nov 28, 2007 12:47:27 PM

12. Isn't Jakeypoo a little skinny to be playing a QB?

Oh, well, Adam Sandler wore lots of padding in the remake of "The Longest Yard," so I suppose anything's possible.

Posted by: Frank L | Nov 28, 2007 1:42:43 PM

13. My Mom's cousin dated Broadway Joe when he was a high school quarterback in Beaver Fall's. She say's Joe was a whore dog back then, but he really knew how to play *hide the pigskin*. She says he was and still is the best lay she ever had. Might be why she's on her 4th husband.....lol

Posted by: Joshua | Nov 28, 2007 8:47:02 PM

14. GREGG,
    Sorry, 40 is not old. I just went home with someone Friday night that was that age. And I'm sure I'd get blasted for talking about Benjamin Nicholas in this post, but WTF? Yes, I am a MUCH prettier version of him, but he is bigger (6'2", 180 vs 5'10", 145) and I am blonder where he has reddish hair.

And regarding someone from another post, I looked up Aryan (sorry, I must have been asleep or xanax'ed during that part of history in college) and if that fits him, it fits me too. I'm thrilled that I'm Adolf Hitler's wet dream (xcept for the gay thing). Great. One more thing to bring up in therapy.

Posted by: Jordan | Nov 28, 2007 10:37:47 PM

15. Back to this subject tho'...

football players are sometimes so hot

Posted by: Jordan | Nov 28, 2007 10:39:24 PM

16. A little story: a very good friend and I were in military service together overseas. My friend took a two week leave to NYC where he stayed with an older, actor friend (this was the summer of 1969). The older friend was invited to a private party in the east 60's. My friend went along, got very drunk and noticed that one of the guests was Joe Namath (also known then as Joe-Willie Namath and Broadway Joe Namath). My friend, whose nerve was augmented by his consumption of liquor, went over to Namath who was standing in a corner by himself and said, "I have a friend who told me that you were gay". Joe looked at my friend and said: "Oh really? Well tell your friend to go fuck himself. And tell him that even if it was true, it's none of his goddam business anyway". With that, Joe Namath left the party and my friend thanked the saints that Namath (who towered over him) didn't pick him up and toss him 60 yards down Park Avenue.

Posted by: mike | Nov 29, 2007 6:31:03 AM