Andy Roddick | Art and Design | China | David Ferrer | Fernando Gonzalez | News | Nikolay Davydenko | Novak Djokovic | Rafael Nadal | Richard Gasquet | Roger Federer | Shanghai | Sports | Tennis

BigGayDeal.com

Terra Cotta Tennis Warriors Unveiled in Shanghai: Federer, Nadal, Davydenko, Djokovic, Roddick, Ferrer, Gonzalez, Gasquet

Tennis2_2
Novak Djokovic

In September I posted about the upcoming Shanghai ATP Tennis Masters tournament and the Chinese warrior statues that were being created by French sculptor Laury Dizengremel in the likenesses of the tourney's "elite eight". The warriors, of course, are meant to resemble the terra cotta army buried with the Emperor of Qin in 210-209 BC.

Well, the tournament got underway yesterday and the sculptures were unveiled. Here they are in all their glory. I can't say that the likenesses are necessarily spot-on (Novak Djokovic comes out looking a bit like Lance Bass) but the player portraits are hot. I've taken some close-ups of the Quentin Shih photograph for your perusal.

Tennis1_2

Tennis2
Andy Roddick, who reportedly asked for an alteration, as the baseball cap that's part of his public image wasn't included in the first go-round.

The rest, after the jump...

Tennis3 Tennis4
Richard (I'm not gay) Gasquet and Fernando Gonzalez

Tennis9
David Ferrer

Tennis7 Tennis6
Rafael Nadal and Nikolay Davydenko

Tennis8
Roger (King Arthur) Federer

You may have missed...
Tennis' Top Eight Men Immortalized in Terracotta [tr]
Djokovic Delivers at Davis Cup Play-off [tr]
Nadal, Banderas, Moya: Spanish Threesome at the French Open [tr]
Sportrait: James Blake [tr]

Comments

1. I don't think Roddick's looks like him at all.

Posted by: Brian | Nov 12, 2007 4:09:05 PM

2. right, not even a little

Posted by: Davey | Nov 12, 2007 4:28:48 PM

3. I don't usually dig guys with long hair, but Ferrer is looking like hot sex on a stick - I'd so like to serve into his duece court.

Posted by: MP | Nov 12, 2007 4:37:07 PM

4. I like the concept, not so much the final execution. Federer's is by far the best one.

Posted by: Rafael | Nov 12, 2007 4:37:24 PM

5. oh and the it is nice to see they switched the original racquets, but it is yet to be seen whether these ones will pass the test of time.

Posted by: Rafael | Nov 12, 2007 4:41:59 PM

6. Richard Gasquet may not be "gay" but, he has to be the sexist man in that crowd or the ATP tour for that matter, after Novak of course! or Gonzo, too many hot men in one arena!

Posted by: Sebastian | Nov 12, 2007 4:50:30 PM

7. I much prefer the warmer, meatier Roddick. Mmmmmm, meaty Roddick...

www.theskinofmyteeth.com

David B.

Posted by: David B. | Nov 12, 2007 5:50:56 PM

8. David Ferrer is hot, but Andy Roddick is by far the hottest. He totally has that cocky, hot, straight guy vibe down, and reminds me of one of my first flings with a college senior when I was a high school freshman (yes, I was a wild child and slightly slutty "mean girl")

Posted by: Jordan | Nov 12, 2007 6:12:53 PM

9. it's funny how we find different types attractive. i would love to play with the fuzzy orbs of any of these guys, but my 1st choice would be rafa "el torito" nadal.

i'm beginning to think that, of all sports, tennis and soccer players have to pass not only the talent competion but the cuteness/hotness competition, as well, in order to play. if only there were a swimsuit (speedo) competition, too.

Posted by: nic | Nov 12, 2007 7:10:11 PM

10. none of the sculptures look like them at all!

Posted by: Caelus | Nov 13, 2007 5:47:39 AM