Cody Castagna | Colorado | Crime | Film | Iran | Mahmoud Ahmadinejad | Massachusetts | Nature | News | Paris Hilton | Polar Bears | Reality TV | Richard Curtis | Woody Harrelson

News: Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, Dirty Laundry, Woody Harrelson

road.jpg Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is a blogger.

Dirtylaundryroad.jpg Movie theater in heart of Chelsea in NYC closes first black gay film to play there in years despite huge gross, according to Keith Boykin: "The news surprised the film's producers, who had set a goal of grossing a respectable $4,000 to $5,000 per theater, or per screen average (PSA). Instead, they were pleased to gross more than $12,000 at the Chelsea Theater alone...The New York theater management expressed concern that 'the producers may have bought the gross.' They expressed suspicion because there were $1,500 in advance ticket sales for Sunday before the theater opened. The theater called this '"highly abnormal for a Sunday movie.' But the advance ticket sales were actually the result of an extensive viral campaign that included Internet postings, blog articles, email campaigns and even text messages. In addition, the producers promoted the movie on radio and television throughout the week leading up to the opening. The real problem is that the theater can't believe that black gay people would actually come to the movies in such numbers because they don't realize we exist."

road.jpg The Hills' season finale announcement packs about as much punch as the show itself.

Parisoomparoad.jpg Paris Hilton assists in rescue of injured Oompa-Loompa.

road.jpg Police probe possible gay-bashing in Somerville, Massachusetts: "A man allegedly started taunting Daloia and her group of six friends earlier in the evening at the On the Hill Tavern in Magoun Square. Gorton said the same man then confronted several of the women at a Dunkin' Donuts, saying, 'You're a [expletive] lesbian' and the like while his sister flashed her breasts. Daloia was knocked unconscious, [Don Gorton, chairman of the Gay and Lesbian Anti-Violence Project] said; her friends, he added, received "bruises all over their faces and parts of their bodies." Daloia has been experiencing post-traumatic stress since the incident, he continued. She now fears for her safety and no longer wants to talk to the press."

Harrelsonroad.jpg Director Paul Schrader explains to New York's HX magazine why Woody Harrelson, who plays gay in Schrader's upcoming film The Walker, won't do any press for it: "His agent told me he doesn't like himself in it. I think he wanted the character to be a little more fey than I did, a little more comically fluffy, and I didn't see the character that way."

road.jpg Surveillance video released by hotel where former Washington Rep. Richard Curtis had his encounter with hustler Cody Castagna: "The video shows both Curtis and beau Cody Castagna entering and leaving the posh Davenport Hotel Towers together the night of October 26, 2007, after meeting initially at a Hollywood Erotique Boutique store. Additional surveillance video shows Curtis leaving an envelope containing the payment for Castagna." (video)

road.jpg Ancient Polar Bear jawbone discovered: "The find is a surprise because polar bears are a relatively new species, with one study claiming they evolved less than 100,000 years ago. If the Svalbard jawbone's status is confirmed, and further discoveries can show the iconic Arctic beasts have a deeper evolutionary heritage, then the outlook for the animals may be more positive than some believe."

Tigersroad.jpg Rare tigers making comeback in India?

road.jpg Colorado councilwoman resigns rather than remove offensive joke she posted online: "The page-long joke, posted by councilwoman Sandra Tucker, described the tale of a white male who has a 'nightmare' in which he wakes up to discover that he has 'been turned' black, gay, Jewish and disabled. The joke uses terms such as 'negro,' 'queer' and 'fairy,' and also pokes fun at orphans, Mexicans, Jews, HIV-positive patients, drug addicts and those with physical disabilities. The punch line of the joke comes when the person having the nightmare also finds out he is a Democrat, a 'fate worse' than all the rest."

Comments

1. Too bad about the movie being pulled, the review in the NYT was pretty good which I would assume would have bought in god money. But, in a city as big as NYC, I'm sure they will find a more open minded theater to show it, since maybe the theme was too much for the area.

And, to that churl in Colorado, she just got ousted for saying what many in the GOP actually feel, and, its good for the citizens that she resigned, although, I'm sure she'll be replaced by someone with similar vile views.

Posted by: Sebastian | Dec 11, 2007 10:38:29 AM

2. The Walker is the most tediously boring movie I have ever seen. It opened the Seattle Lesbian and Gay Film Festival and everybody hated it. Its simply awful.

Posted by: Chris in Seattle | Dec 11, 2007 11:02:56 AM

3. The Chelsea movie theater may have business reasons why they are pulling "Dirty Laundry", but it's incredibly bad public relations. Do independent White Gay films get pulled this quickly? Why weren't the producers of the film told ahead of time how long the theater intended to show the movie, and what criteria they (the theater owners) were using to make such a decision? Bad public relations, and another unnecessary blow to race relations within the Gay community--especially in New York.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Dec 11, 2007 11:08:49 AM

4. If anything, the bitch should have resigned because the joke is just not funny. I don't mind an occasional ribald or offensive story, but it should at least be funny.

Posted by: Joel | Dec 11, 2007 11:22:12 AM

5. I'm not sure what to make of the news about Dirty Laundry. I volunteer for one of the largest gay film festivals in the country (in DC) so I see a lot of gay movies. I can tell you that there aren't a lot of movies that address the lives of gay African-Americans. When we show one that's remotely decent, we get a HUGE response. We showed Noah's Ark before it was a show on Logo at a theatre that seats 1200 people in DC. We sold out. So, it's certainly possible to generate the kind of numbers being talked about for an opening weekend in a city like New York. Have a great day!

P.S. I saw a rough cut of Dirty Laundy a couple of years ago and I enjoyed it.

Posted by: Brandon | Dec 11, 2007 11:47:07 AM

6. So glad I have no reason to visit Seattle. "The Walker" is teriffic.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Dec 11, 2007 11:54:51 AM

7. *Colorado councilwoman resigns rather than remove offensive joke she posted online:*
    it reminds me of working in the mountains of colorado on a production where people are invited to work for a season to witness the pretense and binary thinking that separate so much potential brilliance in various places -- instead opting for some fascist revelry that misses the boat on so much other than the little tidibts of information or work they're able to muster from such rubbish that some people are opting to deliver in a collective script of the most inane garbage i've EVER encountered in my life. such as producing "educational ventures" to feed one's children dogshit and other people in the various communities visited that opt to eat such rubbish by people who oftentimes have no affiliation with these towns or programs (some of which obviously lack such integrity in the basic principles) -- such as incorporating so many tall tales and LIES into a crap production to further avail people from participating in something healthy other than the redundant rubbish they continue to produce.

Posted by: ricardo | Dec 11, 2007 12:26:11 PM

8. The news about the polar bear jawbone is almost eerie if you've seen The Golden Compass. Talk about a coincidence!

Posted by: anon (gmail.com) | Dec 11, 2007 12:32:02 PM

9. Beside the fact that I think Keith Boykin is a two-faced idiot... he's probably lambasting a theater owner who was good enough to drop Dirty Laundry into an open slot in his/her schedule in SUPPORT of the black gay community.

But this is typical dumbass Boykin, make a ruckus without checking the facts.

I don't even know this theater and I can say, unequivocally, that this theater's screen(s) was booked up for the period between Thanksgiving and New Years 8-14 months ago - contractually booked up. It is most likely that one of the pictures preceding Dirty Laundry either didn't make its release date or provided the theater owner some flexibility in guaranteed show dates so that the owner could offer Dirty Laundry some screen time in one of the most sought after periods of the year.

I'm so sick of people like Boykin in our "community" that, by virtue of their own stupidity and personal grandstanding, screw the people trying to give other gays/lesbians a leg up! Jackass...

www.theskinofmyteeth.com

David B.

Posted by: David B. | Dec 11, 2007 1:16:15 PM

10. Hey Anon! I thought the same thing! I wonder if it is the jawbone that Iorek Byrnson broke off to become king of the armored polar bears!? /end nerd rant

Posted by: Patrick | Dec 11, 2007 1:20:17 PM

11. DAVID B,

I was very interested in your take on what happened concerning the decision by the owners/managers of the Clearview Theater in Chelsea. There were posters on Keith's blog who had explanations similar to yours as to why the engagement seemed to end abruptly--without warning or a pre-worked out agreement. But why the public surprise? Why wasn't it known ahead of time that this was going to be a very limited engagement, or an engagement that could be cut short at anytime? Why would the theater's owners leave themselves open for such criticism and suspicions?

Funny you should have such strong criticism of Boykin. Do you realize he is one of the more "moderate" voices among Black Gays. There are other "well-known" Black Gay figures who've gone as far as advocating discontinuing the use of the term "gay" in order to separate themselves from White Gays. Race relations within the "Gay Communities" are not great in many places in this country. I've been called an "Uncle Tom" for even posting on Towleroad. In my view, people like Keith Boykin are actually trying to stop further deterioration.

It would indeed be ashamed if the Clearview Theater owners were trying to do a service to the producers of "Dirty Laundry", and Black Gay New Yorkers. The way it's being handled has had the opposite effect.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Dec 11, 2007 1:58:19 PM

12. Derrick, as always, a voice of reason in the wilderness. Its sad how people take beefs online to disparage people they don't like. I have not seen the movie or heard of it until this morning, but, after reading about it, it seems like a good movie.

And, I think its great to have glbt theme movies show the real diversity of the gay community, not everyone is a buffed guy with a great job living in the big city in a fabulous apartment getting his freak on every other scene, and, where everyone looks like a clone of him, or some watered dwon for a PG rating with no real gay theme, other than sterotypes teen boys laugh at.

Posted by: Sebastian | Dec 11, 2007 2:35:03 PM

13. You know...homophobia is rooted in misogyny. I mention this because I once flew from LAX to Atlanta on a flight with Woody Harrelson (I believe he was on his way to visit his father who was serving two life sentence in a prison near Atlanta for the murder of a federal judge). I was seated on one side of the cabin while he and what appeared to be his wife, were seated in the same row on the opposite side of the plane. When they ate (they brought their own food on board) his wife had to stand in her seat in order to reach the overhead compartment to retrieve their food. In fact, during an entire four and a half hour flight, Harrelson never moved from his seat. It seemed to be his wife's duty to wait on him hand and foot. I had always been a fan, but I came away pretty unimpressed with Harrelson.

Posted by: peterparker | Dec 11, 2007 2:38:29 PM

14. As a mixed-race gay man in Colorado, I'm floored about Dacono Councilwoman Sandy Tucker's 'joke'. Why did the Mayor of Dacono even allow her the option of resigning? Her ass should have been canned immediately. I'm emailing both of them to let them know what I think and you can too.

Mayor Wade Carlson-wcarlson@ci.dacono.co.us
    Sandy Tuckekr-sandys303@msn.com

Posted by: Drew | Dec 11, 2007 3:16:18 PM

15. RE: Dirty Laundry - it doesn't make sense that the theater would pull the film if it indeed was making money. Dollars trump racism almost every time.

@Peterparker - I wouldn't judge Harrelson solely on one flight. There could be any number of explanations - perhaps he wasn't feeling well, etc. Or perhaps that is just the nature of their relationship. My mother relishes her role of waiting on my father and wouldn't have it any other way.

Posted by: Gregg | Dec 11, 2007 5:08:16 PM

16. I just friggin' love Paris Hilton. Don't really care for Oompa-Loompas or little people (scare me), but Paris is my idol.

I don't know why everyone is so damn MEAN to her (or to me here for that matter). She is so beautiful and seems really sweet and genuine. People are such haters.

Posted by: Jordan | Dec 11, 2007 9:59:36 PM

17. Oh please Jordan you make me want to puke....**sweet and genuine**...omg!!!

Oh, ok...it was sarcasm, right???

I was really glad to see the story on the tigers. I have been to India and have been involved in work to help restore their numbers in the preserves. Sometimes all it takes is a bit of common sense and foresight.

Posted by: Joshua | Dec 12, 2007 1:03:56 AM

18. No Joshua, I was totally serious. I think Paris is genuine (as am I). I can't see why other people can't see it. Is it just the jealousy that gets in the way?

Posted by: Jordan | Dec 12, 2007 11:06:23 AM