Clay Aiken | David Hyde Pierce | News | Rosie O'Donnell | Theatre

BigGayDeal.com

Clay Aiken Snaps at Another Reporter Over the "Gay" Question

Gayken2

Here's another shot of Clay Aiken in his Monty Python garb.

And though he'll choke the chicken, he apparently can't handle some types of nuts.

Is it true you’re allergic to nuts?
I’m allergic to a number of things: tree nuts, coffee, mints, chocolate. Some fans tried to introduce me to carob a few years ago. But it gave me the runs, so… [Laughs]

Speaking of which, is it safe to say Rosie O’Donnell had diarrhea of the mouth when she called Kelly Ripa “homophobic”?
Oh, God. I think people on TV say certain things just so they can get attention. I didn’t agree with Rosie. But I appreciated her trying to come to my defense, in one way or another!

What do you make of people nagging you about the “gay” thing?
I think the majority of the American public cares less about it than reporters like you do.

Has anyone ever confronted you about it in public?
I can’t come up with any specific incidents. But I’ve been called everything in the book at some point or another—gay, ugly, nerdy, fat.

Clay Aiken [time out]

Aiken will make his Broadway debut on Friday as "Sir Robin" in Spamalot, a role which was originated by David Hyde Pierce, who last May was gently nudged out of the closet.

Previously
Clay Aiken to Take Stage as "Sir Robin" in Spamalot [tr]

Comments

1. Aside from "ching-chong," her defense of Clay is the most unforgivable offense Rosie's committed. I'm glad to see the thoroughly unpleasant guy — for real— is publicly disavowing her supportive (defensive, even) comments. "gay" = "nerdy" = "ugly" = "fat" is how his mind works. Seriously messed up person with an attitude you would not believe.

Posted by: Matthew Rettenmund | Jan 17, 2008 9:31:47 AM

2. It's sad to see someone with that much self-hatred. I don't think the press should keep baiting him about the gay thing - he's made it VERY clear he's not comfortable talking about it, and the truth is, he's right, it's none of their business - but on his own, away from the press, in his own time, I hope he has the chance to learn and to relax and to self-accept, eventually.

Posted by: Streller | Jan 17, 2008 9:49:47 AM

3. I think we all need to stop paying attention to him. He's just a sad closet case. And for the love of God, please stop posting these creepy pictures of him. They FREAK me out!

Posted by: Dave | Jan 17, 2008 10:25:34 AM

4. He snapped? At some point you become the media rather than writing about it. Which implies you start to make things up...he snapped? Such a non story on a slow news blog day.

Posted by: Junk | Jan 17, 2008 10:39:27 AM

5. I could care less if he's gay or not. In fact, I'd prefer it if he wasn't. Coward.

Posted by: JJ | Jan 17, 2008 10:43:00 AM

6. I'm so frustrated with this whole Clay Aiken nonsense. I know that he's gay because one of my friends had sex with him when he visited Chicago. He was extremely secretive about it, making my friend use the back entrance to his hotel. It's fine if he wants to remain in the closet, but he can't have it both ways (i.e having sex with men, but denying it to the press.) I'm sorry but once you are in the public eye, you will undergo scrutiny. He is absolutly free to give up his fame and return to a private life if he so chooses, but if he plans to remain a public figure, he must understand that his privacy will be comprimised. I agree with JJ above in that I hope he stays in the closet -- he is not worthy to be party of the gay community. He is a coward and an embarrasment. And Clay, if you're reading this, yes, I can tell you exactly the person I'm speaking about.

Posted by: Clay | Jan 17, 2008 11:07:15 AM

7. I think I am starting to agree with the other council members here. I don't care if he's a pole smoker. And it's obvious he hates himself, what Ginger doesn't? Many of my offspring are as queer as a $3 bill.

Posted by: Mary, Really Late Dowager Queen of the British Empire, Ireland, Empress of India, etc..... | Jan 17, 2008 11:22:41 AM

8. Uh where was the snap? Anyway, what's more pathetic than someone in his alleged state of denial are the people who FUCK those in denial. If your friend knew the worm was gay, why would he sleep with him?! Isn't that like condemning the crack queen while you pass him pipe?

Posted by: scott | Jan 17, 2008 11:25:57 AM

9. It's pathetic that he lives and thinks the way he does, but leave him alone already. He's not pushing anti-gay legislation. He's just a singer. It must be annoying to have the media or whomever incessantly asking you "Are you gay? Are you gay? Are you gay?" like bullying schoolchildren.

Posted by: Miles | Jan 17, 2008 11:30:22 AM

10. In that photo there is something about him that reminds me of Cate Blanchett playing the part of a man.

Posted by: peterparker | Jan 17, 2008 12:43:59 PM

11. Poor thing. With his height, coloring and that famous mug, it'll be extremely hard for him to blend in with the locals in the city. Gawker Stalker will have their hands full of Clay sightings, ugh!

Posted by: gabe | Jan 17, 2008 1:06:50 PM

12. Where exactly did he "snap" in that interview? Did anyone else see it?

Posted by: Jordan | Jan 17, 2008 1:46:30 PM

13. Being private and secretive are two different things! Why when a celeb chooses to be mum about their PERSONAL lives we attack them? For Christ sake it's his life LEAVE HIM ALONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: wopboptorledo | Jan 17, 2008 2:01:50 PM

14. It should be understood that celebs don't want to be left alone, they want complete control over their own PR, which includes press coverage. It's better if they were challenged on that occasionally.

Posted by: anon (gmail.com) | Jan 17, 2008 3:38:08 PM

15. I wouldn't want him on our team. He's such a RUBBISH GHEY!

Posted by: madonnanation.com | Jan 17, 2008 4:15:41 PM

16. Brave Sir Robin ran away.
    Bravely ran away, away!
    When danger reared its ugly head,
    He bravely turned his tail and fled.
    Yes, brave Sir Robin turned about
    And gallantly he chickened out.
    Bravely taking to his feet
    He beat a very brave retreat,
    Bravest of the brave, Sir Robin!

He is packing it in and packing it up
    And sneaking away and buggering up
    And chickening out and pissing off home,
    Yes, bravely he is throwing in the sponge...

Posted by: Mike | Jan 17, 2008 4:42:34 PM

17. He has every right to not discuss his sexuality with the press, and he did not "snap" in this interview.

Posted by: gay as life | Jan 17, 2008 6:31:24 PM

18. In that photo there is something about him that reminds me of Cate Blanchett playing the part of a man.

POSTED BY: PETERPARKER | JAN 17, 2008 12:43:59 PM

Funny PP I thought that too, and this also came to mind, the three could be sisters!

Posted by: patrick nyc | Jan 17, 2008 8:12:40 PM