Film | George W. Bush | Josh Brolin | News

Oliver Stone Elects Bush as Next Project

Brolin

Oliver Stone is ready for "a quick ramp-up to production" on Bush, a film about #43, with Josh Brolin attached to play the president.

BushStone told Variety: "It's a behind-the-scenes approach, similar to 'Nixon,' to give a sense of what it's like to be in his skin. But if 'Nixon' was a symphony, this is more like a chamber piece, and not as dark in tone. People have turned my political ideas into a cliche, but that is superficial. I'm a dramatist who is interested in people, and I have empathy for Bush as a human being, much the same as I did for Castro, Nixon, Jim Morrison, Jim Garrison and Alexander the Great...I can't give you [my personal opinion of the president], because the filmmaker has to hide in the work. Here, I'm the referee, and I want a fair, true portrait of the man. How did Bush go from an alcoholic bum to the most powerful figure in the world? It's like Frank Capra territory on one hand, but I'll also cover the demons in his private life, his bouts with his dad and his conversion to Christianity, which explains a lot of where he is coming from. It includes his belief that God personally chose him to be president of the United States, and his coming into his own with the stunning, preemptive attack on Iraq. It will contain surprises for Bush supporters and his detractors."

Brolin, who has not yet negotiated a formal deal, will be coming off of his role as supervisor Dan White, Harvey Milk and Mayor George Moscone's assassin, in the Gus van Sant biopic Milk.

Said Stone of Brolin: "Josh is actually better looking than Bush but has the same drive and charisma that Americans identify with Bush, who has some of that old-time movie-star swagger."

Oliver Stone votes for 'Bush' project [variety]

Recently
Diane Lane: Gay Men Lust for My Husband Josh Brolin [tr]
Emile Hirsch, Josh Brolin, James Franco Sign on to Milk Film [tr]

Comments

1. Fine. Just what we need. Oliver Stone making George W. Bush sympathetic. God in heaven.

Posted by: Roscoe | Jan 21, 2008 4:13:07 PM

2. I wonder what Josh's stepmom has to say about this?

Posted by: T H O R | Jan 21, 2008 4:50:10 PM

3. I guess Bush does have some of that old time movie-star swagger if, by 'old time movie-star swagger', you mean breathtaking arrogance and ignorance.

Posted by: peterparker | Jan 21, 2008 4:51:39 PM

4. Shoot me now!

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jan 21, 2008 5:22:59 PM

5. This will be a camp classic for the ages, surpassing even Stone's own "Alexander."

Posted by: Bryan | Jan 21, 2008 6:10:56 PM

6. PeterParker, I thought "old time movie-star swagger" was referring to the fact that Bush is an alcoholic, like many former old-time movie stars.

Posted by: Tread | Jan 21, 2008 6:15:27 PM

7. "The stunning attack on Iraq." Stunning? One would have to pay no attention or be an idiot to be stunned by that.

Posted by: Mike | Jan 21, 2008 6:23:15 PM

8. I'm no fan of President Bush, on the contrary I can't wait for his term to be over with, but it isn't very hard to figure Mr. Stone's position in regards to the President and the policies of his administration, you can see for yourself here:

There is even word out there (although not confirmed) that Chavez is financing said film, go figure...

Posted by: Rafael | Jan 21, 2008 6:26:27 PM

9. I used to admire Stone--but then I saw how cowardly he was with Alexander the Great, refusing to show the love relationship between Alexander and Hephaestion. If this the way he plays with facts, I neither admire nor trust him.

What the world needs now is TRUTH. We aren't going to get any measure of it from Stone.

Posted by: Webster | Jan 21, 2008 6:50:29 PM

10. Wasn't Bubbles the chimp available?

Posted by: NIL | Jan 21, 2008 7:46:08 PM

11. So, let me get this straight...

Oliver Stone, a man who has no idea about what historical fact is or what truth is, wants to make a movie about George W. Bush;another man who does not now what historical fact is or what truth is. The "lead" is going to be acted by James Brolin, yet ANOTHER man who doesn't know what historical fact is or what truth is. And Brolin is coming off a Gus Van Sant film. And ANOTHER man who does not know what historical fact is or what truth is. Who is currently making a historical film about one of the most significant gay leaders of the the 70's.

I think I have figured out the theme of this film. It should be a very interesting piece of fiction.

Posted by: PJ | Jan 21, 2008 10:41:30 PM

12. What did we do to deserve this abomination, as it is sure to be?

Stone's "Nixon," despite stellar acting by Anthony Hopkins in the title role, and by others (Joan Allen, Mary Steenburgen), basically exonerated that war criminal as a helpless victim of "the system." Will today's war criminal president get the same treatment?

By the way, Rafael, Hugo Chavez, say what you will, has repeatedly been legitimately elected by his people -- by landslides. Bush never has been.

Posted by: Eric | Jan 21, 2008 10:48:37 PM

13. And I would say Bush does have some of that old time movie-star swagger if, by 'old time movie-star', you mean Francis the Talking Mule.

Posted by: David D. | Jan 22, 2008 12:19:31 AM

14. Where to start? Brolin is no Anthony Hopkins (who was miscast as Nixon), but Bush is no Nixon (who knew a good liberal like me would ever say such a thing). Actually Ed Wood would be a more apropos director for the Bush presidency than Stone, who approaches things in the most hamhanded way possible. JFK was so over the top and the presence of the untalented, miscast Kevin Costner just made it worse.

Posted by: Rich | Jan 22, 2008 12:42:07 AM

15. Nice, a movie about America's Village Idiot.

Posted by: Mary, Really Late Dowager Queen of the British Empire, Ireland, Empress of India, etc..... | Jan 22, 2008 8:26:10 AM

16. >>

I just can't wait to pay good money to see it.

The movie will make money. The Right Wingnuts and the Christian machines will see to it.

Posted by: Island Girly | Jan 22, 2008 8:33:25 AM

17. >>

I just can't wait to pay good money to see it.

Posted by: Island Girly | Jan 22, 2008 8:34:23 AM

18. Where is Jonathon Swift when we need him?

Posted by: Chris Holden | Jan 22, 2008 8:45:27 AM

19. They should get CORKY from the 90's show "Life Goes On" to play Bush.

Posted by: Disgusted American | Jan 22, 2008 11:26:10 AM

20. wait HOT sexy Josh Brolin is playing Ugly wimpy Bush?..I don't see it..it will bomb.

Posted by: Mydoona | Jan 27, 2008 4:49:10 PM