Oliver Stone Elects Bush as Next Project

Brolin

Oliver Stone is ready for “a quick ramp-up to production” on Bush, a film about #43, with Josh Brolin attached to play the president.

BushStone told Variety: “It’s a behind-the-scenes approach, similar to ‘Nixon,’ to give a sense of what it’s like to be in his skin. But if ‘Nixon’ was a symphony, this is more like a chamber piece, and not as dark in tone. People have turned my political ideas into a cliche, but that is superficial. I’m a dramatist who is interested in people, and I have empathy for Bush as a human being, much the same as I did for Castro, Nixon, Jim Morrison, Jim Garrison and Alexander the Great…I can’t give you [my personal opinion of the president], because the filmmaker has to hide in the work. Here, I’m the referee, and I want a fair, true portrait of the man. How did Bush go from an alcoholic bum to the most powerful figure in the world? It’s like Frank Capra territory on one hand, but I’ll also cover the demons in his private life, his bouts with his dad and his conversion to Christianity, which explains a lot of where he is coming from. It includes his belief that God personally chose him to be president of the United States, and his coming into his own with the stunning, preemptive attack on Iraq. It will contain surprises for Bush supporters and his detractors.”

Brolin, who has not yet negotiated a formal deal, will be coming off of his role as supervisor Dan White, Harvey Milk and Mayor George Moscone’s assassin, in the Gus van Sant biopic Milk.

Said Stone of Brolin: “Josh is actually better looking than Bush but has the same drive and charisma that Americans identify with Bush, who has some of that old-time movie-star swagger.”

Oliver Stone votes for ‘Bush’ project [variety]

Recently
Diane Lane: Gay Men Lust for My Husband Josh Brolin [tr]
Emile Hirsch, Josh Brolin, James Franco Sign on to Milk Film [tr]

Comments

1. peterparker says

I guess Bush does have some of that old time movie-star swagger if, by ‘old time movie-star swagger’, you mean breathtaking arrogance and ignorance.

2. Rafael says

I’m no fan of President Bush, on the contrary I can’t wait for his term to be over with, but it isn’t very hard to figure Mr. Stone’s position in regards to the President and the policies of his administration, you can see for yourself here:

There is even word out there (although not confirmed) that Chavez is financing said film, go figure…

3. Webster says

I used to admire Stone–but then I saw how cowardly he was with Alexander the Great, refusing to show the love relationship between Alexander and Hephaestion. If this the way he plays with facts, I neither admire nor trust him.

What the world needs now is TRUTH. We aren’t going to get any measure of it from Stone.

4. PJ says

So, let me get this straight…

Oliver Stone, a man who has no idea about what historical fact is or what truth is, wants to make a movie about George W. Bush;another man who does not now what historical fact is or what truth is. The “lead” is going to be acted by James Brolin, yet ANOTHER man who doesn’t know what historical fact is or what truth is. And Brolin is coming off a Gus Van Sant film. And ANOTHER man who does not know what historical fact is or what truth is. Who is currently making a historical film about one of the most significant gay leaders of the the 70’s.

I think I have figured out the theme of this film. It should be a very interesting piece of fiction.

5. Eric says

What did we do to deserve this abomination, as it is sure to be?

Stone’s “Nixon,” despite stellar acting by Anthony Hopkins in the title role, and by others (Joan Allen, Mary Steenburgen), basically exonerated that war criminal as a helpless victim of “the system.” Will today’s war criminal president get the same treatment?

By the way, Rafael, Hugo Chavez, say what you will, has repeatedly been legitimately elected by his people — by landslides. Bush never has been.

6. Rich says

Where to start? Brolin is no Anthony Hopkins (who was miscast as Nixon), but Bush is no Nixon (who knew a good liberal like me would ever say such a thing). Actually Ed Wood would be a more apropos director for the Bush presidency than Stone, who approaches things in the most hamhanded way possible. JFK was so over the top and the presence of the untalented, miscast Kevin Costner just made it worse.