Martin Luther King, Jr. | News | Towleroad Guide to the Tube

BigGayDeal.com

Towleroad Guide to the Tube #231 Martin Luther King Jr Edition

KING ON VIETNAM: Excerpts of a Sermon at the Ebenezer Baptist Church on April 30, 1967.

A TIME TO BREAK SILENCE: A remix of the Vietnam speech. (source: pam's house blend)

WAR ON GREED: Brave New Films on how corporate billionaires like Henry Kravis have destroyed King's legacy.

I HAVE A DREAM: The full version of the famous speech.

Check out our previous guides to the Tube here.

Comments

1. Wow, thanks Andy, I didn't expect to see this on this site, good stuff :)

Posted by: Sebastian | Jan 21, 2008 6:56:56 PM

2. It's with much gratitude that I write to you, Andy, for all you share with us. Happy King's Day {even though you're just a prince of the pounding keyboard...}!!!

Posted by: Mark | Jan 21, 2008 8:36:18 PM

3. Kudos to you, Andy, for posting King's great prophetic (in both senses) Riverside address. "They" only want us to know the "nice" King of "I Have a Dream," not the later King who turned against the war machine. A year later, perhaps, he paid for this stand with his life.

Who will dare speak out this way now? On this war?

I hope those gay men who come here for the eye candy -- which I enjoy too! -- watch this.

Posted by: Eric | Jan 21, 2008 11:01:57 PM

4. What a shock to see this here. Thank you.

Posted by: soulbrotha | Jan 22, 2008 12:14:28 AM

5. Thanks again, Andy. (I'm not surprised that you posted this since you have been willing to address racial issues inside and outside the "community.")

Posted by: noah | Jan 22, 2008 4:39:28 AM

6. I'd like to hear some opinions of people who feel that there is still racial inequality in America. In my few years I've seen bigotry (usually from old white men who can't get out of a rocking chair) but haven't witnessed blatant discrimination; in fact, I've seen a lot of the opposite, especially in the work place and in the education system: African Americans getting preferential treatment because of the color of their skin. I'm just curious to hear other's experiences in the matter.

Posted by: John | Jan 22, 2008 10:51:58 AM

7. John where do you live that blacks are getting this "preferential" treatment? From my vantage point and just reading any daily newspaper or a cursory engine search on race in the US, blacks and Hispanics are getting zilch, and, the system is still set up to give them the worst schools, worst test scores and lowest paying jobs in the country, the pay or people of color other than Asians, who make more than whites according to the US government, is growing.

The country is still divided by race in every sector, and, straight white men still run the show, so, I have yet to see any of the "opposite" that you allege.

Posted by: Mark | Jan 22, 2008 11:00:25 AM

8. "...African-Americans getting prerential treatment..."

Oh, John, who do you work for? The New York Nicks?

If you see some sort of affirmative action policy at your workplace it is because of years of racial discrimination policies against African-Americans. Most White Americans will always have a problem with the "need" for affirmative action type programs, but the history of this country justifies the need.

Funny, I was just watching a PBS special on Sargent Shriver, the "father" of many programs to help poor Americans. He was a great man. It was painful to find out that his inlaws (The Kennedys) often stood in his way to achieve even more greatness.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jan 22, 2008 4:10:56 PM

9. I'm glad you asked, John.

I’m not completely certain what you would call ‘bigotry’ versus ‘blatant discrimination,’ but, I can assure you that racism-based inequity exists in every facet of American life: educational, professional, financial, social, and political.

A quick story; I have many, many more.

My parents paid for my private prep school(around 15% of their annual net earned income, (while paying my two siblings' university living expenses--each had full academic scholarships—Wahoo! Affirmative action.)).

Upon admission, my standardized test scores were in the 95th percentile in the US. Yet, I found myself on the lowest of the school’s three academic tracks. (I was moved to the middle track after my mother clarified why she and my father were paying them.)

Two and one-half years later, after my first SAT scores returned, I was called to the dean if third year students' office and asked to explain my scores. A not so subtle inference was drawn that I cheated. (Note, my SATs were consistent with my prior standardized test scores.)

So, their proof you ask? Few, if any, of my classmates scored as well and I--wait for it--wasn’t one of their first-track students!

Posted by: Carlton | Jan 23, 2008 5:22:55 PM