Australia | Nature | News

BigGayDeal.com

Australian Crocodiles Prefer Their Meat Shirtless

Croc1

This crocodile obviously saw an opportunity to get right to the good stuff.

Continued, AFTER THE JUMP...

Croc3

The Telegraph reports:

"The 16 foot-long saltwater crocodile came within an arm’s length of inflicting serious damage to the tourist, if not killing him. Novon Mashiah, 27, an Israeli backpacker, spotted the big crocodile during a fishing trip in the Northern Territory. Determined to have a picture taken of himself with the crocodile, he posed while leaning out of the back of his fishing boat, pointing towards the predator. 'I began playing with it for a photo,' Mr Mashiah said. 'I was pointing at it when it suddenly jumped up at me - I didn't realise that crocs were so aggressive.' The 'saltie' – which experts believe probably approached the boat in search of a free feed of fish – propelled itself out of the water with terrifying speed. After narrowly missing its prey, it smashed into the side of the small metal boat before plunging back into the water. 'I was shocked - the animal clearly wanted to kill me,' Mr Mashiah, from Tel Aviv, told the Northern Territory News."

Croc2

Crocodile attacks backpacker in Australia [telegraph]

Comments

1. If that poor hungry croc had got its meal we would seen a bodiless shirt.

Posted by: SXJ | Mar 6, 2008 8:14:57 AM

2. Guess the crocodile eats kosher.

Posted by: 212guy | Mar 6, 2008 8:23:40 AM

3. Maybe it was a Palestinian crocodile.

Posted by: crispy | Mar 6, 2008 8:29:13 AM

4. Another contender for this years "Darwin" award.

Posted by: Wade | Mar 6, 2008 9:05:35 AM

5. "I didn't realize that crocs were so aggressive."

Yes, right, they're widely known as the cuddly teddy bears of the reptile family.

Posted by: David D. | Mar 6, 2008 9:14:03 AM

6. Maybe crocodiles prefer their meat witless. How could not "think crocodiles were so aggressive." What a boob.

Posted by: MT | Mar 6, 2008 9:16:22 AM

7. Next up on this guys agenda...
    a trip to Yosemite to feed marshmallows to the bears.

Posted by: Gavin Elster | Mar 6, 2008 9:37:40 AM

8. Dumb ass.

those damn things can leap really far.

Posted by: Maverick69 | Mar 6, 2008 9:38:45 AM

9. Just like the polar bear in Germany, now it's Nature 2 - Humans 0. Now, if this would have happened in the US, of course some gun-toting Fish & Wildlife dude would have gone out and shot the croc because it was a "menace" to society.

Only one menace in that pic....the badly tatooed one...

Posted by: Brian | Mar 6, 2008 10:36:05 AM

10. you guys are fucking funny.

i wouldn't want to kill Mashiah, but i would like to eat him. cute, but stupid.

Posted by: nic | Mar 6, 2008 11:10:47 AM

11. Man, the other white meat.

Posted by: Scooter | Mar 6, 2008 11:17:47 AM

12. Two words: Natural Selection.

Posted by: noteasilyoffended | Mar 6, 2008 11:23:32 AM

13. Did this daft git forget to read the endless brochures about the aggressiveness of salt water crocs before he decided to get cheeky? He's a lucky duck to find himself with all limbs and possibly his life.

There is only one distance to be with a salt water and that is very far away.

Posted by: Gary | Mar 6, 2008 11:25:04 AM

14. There was a time when I liked my men big, hot and stupid too.

We have the same problem with idiots here in Florida, especially tourists. I can't tell you how many times I've had to tell some fool squatting, at dusk, beside a pond, lake or river that you NEVER, NEVER, EVER squat down beside ANY body of water in Florida; ESPECIALLY not at dusk or after dark. In fact you should not be anywhere near the edge of a pond, river or lake at dusk or later. Nor do you walk your dog along a shoreline (you might as well hang a sign around their neck that says "bait")

Saltwater crocs or fresh water alligators have AMAZING sprint speed and both can launch themselves out of the water unexpectedly in order to catch prey. We lose a number of people to alligators every year in Florida. Last year we had three people killed and eaten in ONE WEEK. All were by the water at dusk or after.

Posted by: Zeke | Mar 6, 2008 12:13:47 PM

15. Hey, Zeke,

I think the Isreali guy wears about a size 12 or 12+, with long, thick hairy toes.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Mar 6, 2008 12:23:18 PM

16. Ha! No wonder the croc was coming after him! ;)

Posted by: Zeke | Mar 6, 2008 12:57:07 PM

17. Would have liked to see this guy wearing a speedo ..sigh.. :)

Posted by: Grego | Mar 6, 2008 2:03:09 PM

18. I was in India at a crocodile zoo (yes that's true; they had dozens of types and sizes). A worker approached me holding a tiny one with its mouth taped shut, and I held it and posed for a picture. Then he asked if I wanted to pay for him to do a feeding. I said sure and gave him the equivalent of $1.

He then brought out a huge tub of beef (odd, given that it was India) and threw some to some relatively tiny crocs. They lunged and fought for it. I thought that was it, but no. He then climbed a ladder in an area containing bigger crocs. He would hold out slabs of beef, and the crocs would leap 10 feet in the air and grab them. I thought he was going to lose his arm. I was with my boss and my other boss's wife, both vegetarians, and at first they thought I was being gross. But we were all transfixed.

Anyway, after that the guy went to this separate area that seemed to just contained a big pool of murky water. He started hitting on the surface with a piece of bamboo. We didn't really know what was going on, then---HOLY SHIT---the biggest creature I have ever seen lunged out of the water at breathtaking speed. It was prehistoric in size. (Later learned it was 28 feet long!) How the guy managed to escaped unscathed is beyond me. It was a miracle. That croc must have weighed 1,000 pounds, easy.

Needless to say, I gave the guy a very generous tip! It was 10 years ago, and I can see it perfectly clearly today. Terrifying!

Posted by: Paul R | Mar 6, 2008 2:16:43 PM

19. Well, ...would you prefer a tasty candy-bar with, or without the wrapper?

Posted by: Ted B. (Charging Rhino) | Mar 6, 2008 2:28:18 PM

20. PAUL R,

great story and great telling of it. I could visualize every moment.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Mar 6, 2008 2:51:32 PM

21. Paul R: too bad you didn't offer to pay him NOT to do that!

too bad that tattooed tourist's stupidity is rewarded with getting one pretty awesome picture. the cool shot doesn't even show the stupidity.

Posted by: humanist | Mar 6, 2008 2:58:09 PM

22. derrick,

you are right. we don't have to like each other, but we can tolerate each other, at least.

i have a great time with you, derrick, (your foot-fetish not withstanding. and i am not being judgemental.) and jimmyboyo, peterparker, zeke, bedwell, bill perdue, marco, et al. i have a respect for all of you. we are all seeking a goal. some of us have a wrongheaded approach, but we have a similar goal, i think... bill, hellooooooo?

Posted by: nic | Mar 6, 2008 3:26:46 PM

23. NIC,

the feelings mutual. I enjoy your postings--except the thread where you, Zeke and Rudy went at it. But, you know, if you're a regular poster here on Towleroad, sooner or later you're going to have a "fallin' out" with someone. One of the first interactions I had with Zeke was when he had to "read" me about some stupid joke I made about circumcision. I learned from getting "read" on these blogs. So, I hope your above comment wasn't some sort of "farewell" posting.

Oh, and you can have Bill Clinton. I'd just a soon take Billy Bob Thornton--if I had to...it didn't kill Halle Berry, so there.

Posted by: Derrick fromPhilly | Mar 6, 2008 4:17:04 PM

24. Silly Zeke, gators can't read.

Posted by: Garst | Mar 6, 2008 4:48:46 PM

25. I sure don't like crocodiles, nor sharks or rats or roaches or Conservatives. I know we're all God's creatures, but that doesn't mean we have to like each other.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Mar 6, 2008 2:51:32 PM
    ------------------------------
    You must be real happy that Mayor 9/11 is not on the ticket this fall, he fits all of those.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Mar 6, 2008 7:48:06 PM