Australian Crocodiles Prefer Their Meat Shirtless

Croc3

The Telegraph reports:

“The 16 foot-long saltwater crocodile came within an arm’s length of inflicting serious damage to the tourist, if not killing him. Novon Mashiah, 27, an Israeli backpacker, spotted the big crocodile during a fishing trip in the Northern Territory. Determined to have a picture taken of himself with the crocodile, he posed while leaning out of the back of his fishing boat, pointing towards the predator. ‘I began playing with it for a photo,’ Mr Mashiah said. ‘I was pointing at it when it suddenly jumped up at me – I didn’t realise that crocs were so aggressive.’ The ‘saltie’ – which experts believe probably approached the boat in search of a free feed of fish – propelled itself out of the water with terrifying speed. After narrowly missing its prey, it smashed into the side of the small metal boat before plunging back into the water. ‘I was shocked – the animal clearly wanted to kill me,’ Mr Mashiah, from Tel Aviv, told the Northern Territory News.”

Croc2

Crocodile attacks backpacker in Australia [telegraph]

Comments

1. David D. says

“I didn’t realize that crocs were so aggressive.”

Yes, right, they’re widely known as the cuddly teddy bears of the reptile family.

2. Brian says

Just like the polar bear in Germany, now it’s Nature 2 – Humans 0. Now, if this would have happened in the US, of course some gun-toting Fish & Wildlife dude would have gone out and shot the croc because it was a “menace” to society.

Only one menace in that pic….the badly tatooed one…

3. Gary says

Did this daft git forget to read the endless brochures about the aggressiveness of salt water crocs before he decided to get cheeky? He’s a lucky duck to find himself with all limbs and possibly his life.

There is only one distance to be with a salt water and that is very far away.

4. Zeke says

There was a time when I liked my men big, hot and stupid too.

We have the same problem with idiots here in Florida, especially tourists. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve had to tell some fool squatting, at dusk, beside a pond, lake or river that you NEVER, NEVER, EVER squat down beside ANY body of water in Florida; ESPECIALLY not at dusk or after dark. In fact you should not be anywhere near the edge of a pond, river or lake at dusk or later. Nor do you walk your dog along a shoreline (you might as well hang a sign around their neck that says “bait”)

Saltwater crocs or fresh water alligators have AMAZING sprint speed and both can launch themselves out of the water unexpectedly in order to catch prey. We lose a number of people to alligators every year in Florida. Last year we had three people killed and eaten in ONE WEEK. All were by the water at dusk or after.

5. Paul R says

I was in India at a crocodile zoo (yes that’s true; they had dozens of types and sizes). A worker approached me holding a tiny one with its mouth taped shut, and I held it and posed for a picture. Then he asked if I wanted to pay for him to do a feeding. I said sure and gave him the equivalent of $1.

He then brought out a huge tub of beef (odd, given that it was India) and threw some to some relatively tiny crocs. They lunged and fought for it. I thought that was it, but no. He then climbed a ladder in an area containing bigger crocs. He would hold out slabs of beef, and the crocs would leap 10 feet in the air and grab them. I thought he was going to lose his arm. I was with my boss and my other boss’s wife, both vegetarians, and at first they thought I was being gross. But we were all transfixed.

Anyway, after that the guy went to this separate area that seemed to just contained a big pool of murky water. He started hitting on the surface with a piece of bamboo. We didn’t really know what was going on, then—HOLY SHIT—the biggest creature I have ever seen lunged out of the water at breathtaking speed. It was prehistoric in size. (Later learned it was 28 feet long!) How the guy managed to escaped unscathed is beyond me. It was a miracle. That croc must have weighed 1,000 pounds, easy.

Needless to say, I gave the guy a very generous tip! It was 10 years ago, and I can see it perfectly clearly today. Terrifying!

6. Derrick from Philly says

PAUL R,

great story and great telling of it. I could visualize every moment.

I sure don’t like crocodiles, nor sharks or rats or roaches or Conservatives. I know we’re all God’s creatures, but that doesn’t mean we have to like each other.

7. humanist says

Paul R: too bad you didn’t offer to pay him NOT to do that!

too bad that tattooed tourist’s stupidity is rewarded with getting one pretty awesome picture. the cool shot doesn’t even show the stupidity.

8. nic says

derrick,

you are right. we don’t have to like each other, but we can tolerate each other, at least.

i have a great time with you, derrick, (your foot-fetish not withstanding. and i am not being judgemental.) and jimmyboyo, peterparker, zeke, bedwell, bill perdue, marco, et al. i have a respect for all of you. we are all seeking a goal. some of us have a wrongheaded approach, but we have a similar goal, i think… bill, hellooooooo?

9. Derrick fromPhilly says

NIC,

the feelings mutual. I enjoy your postings–except the thread where you, Zeke and Rudy went at it. But, you know, if you’re a regular poster here on Towleroad, sooner or later you’re going to have a “fallin’ out” with someone. One of the first interactions I had with Zeke was when he had to “read” me about some stupid joke I made about circumcision. I learned from getting “read” on these blogs. So, I hope your above comment wasn’t some sort of “farewell” posting.

Oh, and you can have Bill Clinton. I’d just a soon take Billy Bob Thornton–if I had to…it didn’t kill Halle Berry, so there.

10. patrick nyc says

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Mar 6, 2008 2:51:32 PM
    ——————————
    You must be real happy that Mayor 9/11 is not on the ticket this fall, he fits all of those.

11. Zeke says

I had a spat with NIC a while back but I actually like him. I was rubbed the wrong way by a comment he made about me that I thought was misguided and unfair and I reacted poorly. I certainly hope that my reaction is seen as a rare exception rather than a rule. I try to reserve my wrath for when it’s warranted. I really do like NIC and enjoy and appreciate his contributions to these threads.

And of course I ADORE my friend DERRICK!

Now let’s all join in on a chorus of Kumbaya!

12. nic says

ZEKE,

i respect u lots, too. but, can we agree to retire certain words and expressions, such as kumbaya, drivel, blather, ilk, spew, meme; etcera, and etecerah, and etceterahhhhh. is it still p.c. for me to think that we queers are more creative?

one of these days, zeke, you and derrick and jimmyboyo and peterparker and marco and the curmudgeons, bill purdue and bedwell/leland will get together for brunch. can you imagine the fun?

zeke, i apologize for my previous transgression. you, of all people, did not deserve it. i have not been myself lately. that’s my only excuse.

DERRICK,

i am here as long as ANDY will have me.

13. AG says

“I didn’t realize that crocs were so aggressive.”

In other news, the sky is blue, fire is hot, and you need a heart to live.

This has been a public service announcement, sponsored by the Northern Territory Council of Shit You Need To Know.

14. Zeke says

It’s all good NIC my friend.

I understand where you’re coming from. I have down times too when I don’t feel or act like myself. My launching into you would be one of those times.

Peace.

15. mike says

After 12 hours of work on the third shift, I come home, stressed out and read some of the funniest comments I have ever read here on Towleroad.com! Thanks, folks, I need these! As far as the “israeli backpacker” is concerned, I would only have one comment: DUH?!

16. mike says

17. PC says

The crocodile may have thought the pointing man was holding up a fish, as evidenced by this extract from the article:

Sadly, this article is only going to put the animal in a negative light.

18. Slate says

That guy obviously didn’t see Black Water, a low budget movie that scared the holy frigging bejebus out of me. Four people in that kind of boat, one croc. Those fuckers can jump. And we’re just wimpy bags of meat ready for the munching.

Trust me, I won’t be going out in the croc areas in Australia after that one.

Funny thing, I grew up swimming with alligators in Louisiana with no problem. They aren’t as aggressive as crocs. Though human infringement (especially in FLA) has created a bit of an alli eats man scene lately.

19. Slate says

Trust me, I won’t be going out in the croc areas in Australia after that one.