Barack Obama | Democratic Party | Election 2008 | Hillary Clinton | John McCain | John Roberts | News | Ohio | Republican Party | Rhode Island | Texas | Vermont

BigGayDeal.com

It Goes On: Hillary Clinton Wins Texas, Ohio as McCain Clinches

Wins in Ohio, Texas, and Rhode Island for Hillary Clinton on Tuesday gave her the momentum she needed to continue in the race, although Barack Obama, who won Vermont, still holds a lead in delegates.

Said Clinton: "No candidate in recent history — Democratic or Republican — has won the White House without winning the Ohio primary. We all know that if we want a Democratic president, we need a Democratic nominee who can win Democratic states just like Ohio."

This morning, on CBS' The Early Show, Clinton hinted at a 'dream ticket' with Obama, saying "that may be where this is headed, but we have to decide who is on the top of the ticket."

McCain sealed the Republican nomination.

Full results.

Clinton and Obama's speeches above, McCain's and Huckabee's below (via Talking Points Memo).

road.jpg In Texas, a gay bar toasts Hillary...
road.jpg KOS: Delegate numbers DAUNTING for Clinton.
road.jpg Pam Spaulding: Pollsters flummoxed, Gender, education, and Latino vote mattered...
road.jpg Time to get ugly?
road.jpg Intelligencer: Will Obama be able to enter hand-to-hand combat?
road.jpg Did Clinton campaign darken Obama's skin color in ad leading up to primaries?
road.jpg POLLS: Clinton's late attacks worked.

Comments

1. Yeah for her. Almost makes you feel bad for the messiah.

Posted by: tommy | Mar 5, 2008 8:14:26 AM

2. bitch is the new black '08

Posted by: anon | Mar 5, 2008 9:03:19 AM

3. A little rainy in NYC today but I am only seeing sun and rainbows. Our Senator is on her way to the White House...I'll say it one last time on this blog...Never count a Clinton out!...She is favored in Pennsylvania and she'll take Wyoming and then the White House. Hillary '08!!!

Posted by: davey | Mar 5, 2008 9:06:28 AM

4. She'll take Pennsylvania, too, without question. Looks like His Messianic Holiness has some more work to do.

Posted by: abracadaver | Mar 5, 2008 9:20:44 AM

5. This indecisiveness will be bad for the dems in the end - the longer this primary goes on, the longer the repubs will have to establish McCain as their frontrunner while Clinton and Obama exchange harsh words. "United" democratic party my ass...someone needs to take a solid lead before we all start to head down the crapper.

Posted by: scientitian | Mar 5, 2008 9:23:32 AM

6. I haven't heard anyone mention this, and maybe it is utterly naive, but I wonder why Hillary and Barack don't just declare themselves running-mates. What a dream-team!

It would also end the increasingly negative campaigning, which threatens to turn off democratic voters. I'm afraid that as we go further in this campaign and the fight intensifies for delgates, we're going to see too much negative campaigning on both sides.

We have two wonderful candidates here.

Posted by: Carmen | Mar 5, 2008 9:24:01 AM

7. CARMEN, you haven't heard anything about a "dream team" because of the attitudes held by Hillary supporters like those who began this thread. They so busy hating Barack Obama that they don't give a F...K about winning the US Presidency in November.

SCIENTICIAN, you are right. As a Democrat, this was MY worst nightmare: a divided party at the August convention; and more frightening, the issue of race as a factor in Democrats' disunity.

McCain is not a "bogey man" right-wing nut. His position as the Republican nominee will not be enough to galvanize Democrats. In fact, many angry and disillusioned Democrats will either vote for him or boycott the election. Barack's and Hillary's pleas for unity may not be enough if there is not a clear winner-- and we have dishonest shenanigans from "super delegates" at the convention.

Yes, for a Democrat who puts party over candidate, this is awful. If super delegates decide this nomination, they must do it in away that doesn't infuriate either the Obama or Clinton supporters 'cause neither side is in the mood to kiss the other's ass.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Mar 5, 2008 9:46:42 AM

8. Why Dems would put up a patently unlikable candidate destined for failure come November - after months of aruduous mudslinging - is beyond me. Obama has a real shot at galvanizing educated, young voters in the general election.

Guys, Hillary is experienced and tough and all those wonderful, candy-coated things she wants you to project onto her. What she lacks is support among moderates who will swing to the GOP side if she's the Dem candidate. Why else would Rush Limbaugh encourage Texas voters to nominate her yesterday?

He knows she's conquerable. Obama is much less so. Dems are so fucking stupid, and if I wasn't gay and a totaly sop of a single-issue voter, I would absolutely switch parties.

Posted by: No | Mar 5, 2008 10:14:20 AM

9. I was at my precinct caucus in Dallas last night, in a typically gentrifying older neighborhood. By that I mean Latino and gay with a growing number of yuppie whites with kids who've discovered how cute we've made it, and a smallish African-American population. The Latinos and the gays went strongly for Hillary while the African Americans were strong for Obama. The yuppie whites were pretty split. It was at a High School auditorium and the line to sign in for Hillary was up the aisle, out the door and down the hall. The Obama line ended about 2/3 up the aisle. Clearly my neighborhood is Hillary country.

Posted by: sam | Mar 5, 2008 10:20:14 AM

10. It's time to start getting ready for Bush III.

Hillary supporters and Republicans can thank the CONSERVATIVE PM of Canada for his help in influencing our nomination process. His government is now being forced to open an investigation into the curious and malicious and well timed leak of the NAFTA memo. Even he admits (after the damage has been done) that the memo was misleading and didn't properly reflect the
    stated position of the Obama official in the meeting.

Posted by: Zeke | Mar 5, 2008 10:36:05 AM

11. I truly, truly don't care who gets the nomination. I was just hoping it was over so we wouldn't have to hear Michael Bedwell's squealing for the next two months.

Posted by: crispy | Mar 5, 2008 10:53:16 AM

12. PS: CBS did ask Clinton about sharing the ticket on Early Show this morning, and she did say that may be where this is headed. The problem is deciding who will be president and who will be VP.

It's like watching two tops fight over whose turn it is to fuck the other one.

Posted by: crispy | Mar 5, 2008 11:08:02 AM

13. "a patently unlikable candidate"???? Yeh, that really explains why millions keep voting for her.....why she's stopped ObaMOMENTUM count them THREE times now—New Hampshire-Super Tuesday-Super Duper Tuesday.....why the majority of voters in Ohio [just like in California where Obama's previous "surge" became a dirge] who decided in the last 24 hour chose Sen. Clinton.....why while Obamaniacs desperately spun the 3 AM ad as an "endorsement of McCain over Obama" exit polls in both Texas and Ohio show the reality: the majority get it and believe Sen. Clinton would BE BETTER THAN OBAMA as Commander-in-Chief....why Obama outspent her 2 to 1 and STILL can't close the deal...it's all because voters DON'T LIKE HER!

When she was ahead in delegates and he was ahead in popular votes, Obama and his supporters were saying, "The superdelegates must follow the will of the people and endorse the popular vote winner." What are they saying this morning. In fact, WHERE ARE "24Play The Race Card," "SoulBrotha & You're Not" "ASSnotedTemple," and the very fair and decent Jimmy Boyo? Perhaps imagining where they're going to eat lunch today since the Obama Borg Cafeteria has replace Croque de Merde with Croque de Crow?

Derrick, mon cher, you have often been fair, too, and we share the greater importance of a Democrat winning than a specific candidate. Yes, I have repeatedly flamed Obama yet I have backed up my criticisms with evidence for why I reached them. But I challenge your assertion about whose supporters care more about what with words out of the mouth of Obama himself before Super Tuesday:

"I am confident I will get her votes if I'm the nominee. It's not clear she would get the votes I got if she were the nominee." SOURCE: http://0-firstread.msnbc.msn.com.millennium.unicatt.it/archive/2008/02/01/629273.aspx

He certainly has a right to believe that scary thought—but saying it out loud was TOTALLY irresponsible and self-serving because it effectively is their Messiah blessing their focus on the candidate and not the campaign to depose a Right Wing strangle hold on Washington; on celebrity over civil liberties; on one man and not one nation. Did he, did they learn NOTHING from the 2000 election where those whose allegiance was greater to Nader did everything but put a shiny bow on the White House before they gave it to George Bush? 527 Florida votes CHANGED HISTORY! If Obama stopped running as American Idol maybe we wouldn’t have such idolatry that could, yes, crown Bush III if they don't get what THEY want.

I’ve never heard Sen. Clinton say anything like that—to suggest that the campaign is more about electing HER than about electing a Democrat. As regular Hillary basher Joe Klein said at Newsweek, Obama constantly says the campaign is not about him but it's ALL about him.

I have repeatedly heard Sen. Clinton say variations of this:

“The differences between Barack and I pale in comparison to the differences that we have with Republicans." In fact, she said that the night before Obama effectively gave countless supporters permission to vote for a Republican, Nader Version 5, or not vote at all.

Let’s get back to concentrating on that and not personality or personality contests.

Posted by: Michael Bedwell | Mar 5, 2008 11:16:58 AM

14. My state of Ohio just handed McCain the presidency.

Posted by: Ben | Mar 5, 2008 11:23:57 AM

15. All of a sudden there sure is a lot of hot air in here...someone open a window.

Posted by: Derek | Mar 5, 2008 11:27:39 AM

16. Go Hill!

I think that Clinton would be the one to beat McCain. I think Obama unfortunately has an overinflated view of himself. I think people vastly over-estimated the need for change.

Bottomline - people want to have a job, healthcare, less war, peaceful time. If you want change, people should move, outside of their current state, or the US. Or start a revolution.

Yeah, thought so - bloody unlikely.

Posted by: Landis | Mar 5, 2008 11:54:41 AM

17. Thank you, Landis, for providing the ever useful Canadian perspective.

Posted by: 24play | Mar 5, 2008 11:58:34 AM

18. Did anyone else hear this? CNN reported that apparently 25% of a sampled selective of current Clinton supporters would defect to McCain if Clinton is not the democratic nominee, compared to 10% for Obama. That number is high! No matter who the Democratic nominee is, he or she is going to be in for a dog fight to nab the office.

Posted by: David | Mar 5, 2008 12:03:30 PM

19. SAM,
    you and my sis must have been at the same precinct -- or nearby. she is cool with gays and blacks and latinos. her neighborhood (off of cedar springs) includes a lot of gays and a great number of latinos. she bought her townhouse on the cheap, and now she's sitting on a gold mine, but that's a different story.

it seems that most gays and almost all latinos will go for the tried and true. nowhere was that more evident than in my own precinct, where more than a hundred people raised their hands for hillary and only about five misguided few went for NObama. is sense finally on the upsurge?

zeke, bless your li'l ol', non-judgemental, all-encompassing heart.

Posted by: nic | Mar 5, 2008 12:20:12 PM

20. Again, Canadian here so take it for what it's worth.....All I care about is that things change. The fact that the Democrats felt that they could not persue impeachment and still win an election, baffles me. That bastard (and his henchman) belong in jail!!

Obama talks about change but who knows if he can pull it off. I know it is really hard to make real change happen in politics and maybe Hillary with her "experience" is better able to make that happen but she seems to be winking at Republicans every time she mentions it.

If the two of them could set their egos aside and actually make it happen as a pres/vice ticket that would be awesome, but seems unlikely.

I honestly don't know who is able to do the job better and I understand there is alot at stake. People get defensive and nasty in times like these. It just seems Hillary's campaign is alot more about ego and less about issues.

Posted by: Scott | Mar 5, 2008 12:30:13 PM

21. I would second Derrick Form Philly and agree that I actually think this is becoming a disaster for our party. The longer this goes on the nastier the campaigns get and the more bitterly divided we are.
    I also am really beginning to question Hillary's campaign's loyalty to the party, as opposed to loyalty to the idea of winning the nomination. I'm sure Michael Bedwell will say that I have swallowed too much anti-Hillary propaganda regarding this. I really hope he is right.
    If she wins I will certainly be voting for her but I will be holding my nose while doing so. I was really looking forward to NOT having to do that for once in my life.

Posted by: AdamN | Mar 5, 2008 12:34:15 PM

22. Hold up

Don't get too excited.

The delegate count is what matters and with texas caucus votes still being tabulated and delegates awarded, Hillary is seeing the possibiltiy of her wins last night only getting her a net gain of 1-2 delegates.

I understand the exciment Hillary suporters are eeling, but!!!!!!!!!!!!! the delegate count is what matters and the texas caucus is quickly wipping out that gan for her leaving Obama very much ahead still.

The dream ticket Hillary has now mentioned is a good idea but the other way around. Obama POTUS with Hillary as his VP since he is leading in delegates.

The supers forced JFK and LBJ to form a united ticket. They will most likely do the same this time around as well so as to present a united party against McCain W bush jr. A great idea but since Hillary is behind in delegates it won't be her at the top of the ticket.

Posted by: jimmyboyo | Mar 5, 2008 12:58:26 PM

23. damn typo gremlins

LOL

sorry, but you all should be used to it by now from me

Posted by: Jimmyboyo | Mar 5, 2008 1:02:05 PM

24. PS

counting only VT, OH, RI, and texas PRIMARIES awarded delegates Hillary sees a 24 net gain

BUT the 2nd half of texas is a caucus awarding another 62 delegates, that crazy texas primacaucus, and obama looks to have won that part by 2 to 1 with the dolling out of hose delegates negating the majority of Hillary's net gain.

Just trying to break it down for those not keeping up with the delegate count.
    Depending on if you count supers or not Obama will still be ahead 101 to 130 deegates

FL and Mi look like they will do revotes

Posted by: Jimmyboyo | Mar 5, 2008 1:06:35 PM

25. I love how Clinton supporters have been accusing Obama supporters of being cultists, and saying they're going to take their ball and go home if Obama doesn't get the nomination. In reality, Clinton supporters would defect 2.5 times as much as Obama supporters. Moreover, 86% of Obama supporters would back Clinton in the general, while only 65% of Clinton supporters would back Obama. So who's myopic again?

Posted by: Jason | Mar 5, 2008 1:07:02 PM