I'm Gay | News | Seattle

BigGayDeal.com

Real World: Seattle's Stephen: I'm Gay

Rw1

Stephen from The Real World: Seattle accepted an award for his castmate Irene at The Real World Awards Bash: Roast 'Em and Toast 'Em (yes, the show has been on so long they have awards for it now). Stephen also announced that he's gay and he's getting married.

Said Stephen: "I am engaged. I'm engaged now. I'm getting ready to hitch it and it's actually with my partner (Sheldon, below) and he's a really great guy and I'm very much in love and very proud of his achievements and looking forward to achieving a lot together."

Rw2

You may remember the controversial moment when Stephen opened a car door and slapped Irene during that season. Apparently there's still a lot of lingering anger. At the awards, Stephen and Seattle's Nathan got into it as Nathan accused Stephen of lying about having made up with Irene while accepting the award on stage.

Watch the clip, AFTER THE JUMP...

Real World: Seattle's Stephen Finally Comes OUT At Real World Awards Bash... & Fights Again [guytv blog]

Comments

1. honestly though, not saying violence is ever an answer but its so upsetting when someone tries to tell you what your sexual orientation is when you havent even figured it out yourself like irene did with stephen. she seemed way homophobic to me which is rarely addressed.

Posted by: sergio | Apr 3, 2008 9:45:12 AM

2. Remember when this show was compelling and not just about people fucking in a hot tub?

Posted by: crispy | Apr 3, 2008 9:51:44 AM

3. Good for them

I didn't know the show was still on.

Posted by: Jimmyboyo | Apr 3, 2008 9:53:13 AM

4. Whose real world? These people are ill. And who the hell was Irene? Was she evil to the gay guy(the Christian)? Well, the gay may have been punk enough to slap her, but that straight bastard would have raped and strangled her. Most straight men are such hyper-masculine, misogynistic, homophobic, violent jerks...well, some gays are too, I guess. Not me, I'd never slap a woman, but I'll kill another queen.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Apr 3, 2008 9:54:50 AM

5. Andy. Oh, Andy. Really? You really did watch this show? Or even a clip from it? And you're admitting it?

Every little bit of 'drama' that has happened on any of these shows since about 1993 has been manufactured as part of the ongoing competition among the participants to keep their faces on air and to get invited back for various iterations of what has become a soap opera for morons.

(Which is not to say I don't tune in ocassionally. But admit it? Never.)

Posted by: Buster | Apr 3, 2008 10:43:22 AM

6. I REALLY need to watch me some tivo. I swear every other post on this blog(or my other favorite blogs)is about some TV show. School should be banned y'all!

Posted by: Shabaka | Apr 3, 2008 10:54:17 AM

7. Well, DUH.

Posted by: ab | Apr 3, 2008 11:00:10 AM

8. I remember watching this and thinking...he seriously just tossed her teddy bear in the water then slapped her?

He was just pissed that she called him on something that was on national TV. He treated her like crap (from what they showed...makes for good TV) but his actions were not justified.

I guess in the end, Irene was right...he was gay.

Posted by: Matthew | Apr 3, 2008 11:40:51 AM

9. I remember Stephen when we were teenagers in San Diego. He was out then, he was even the PRESIDENT of the Gay Youth Alliance. He marched in numerous Pride Parades. Then he went to Berkley and got on TV, said he was straight and slapped a silly girl. Now he's gay again?

I don't get it..

Posted by: LA DIVAFINA | Apr 3, 2008 12:20:35 PM

10. Do we have to claim him or can we put him in to that creepy category like we do w/ Cojo or Mr. Blackwell?

Posted by: Allen | Apr 3, 2008 12:42:57 PM

11. At the time being a closet case myself, I can tell you that was my absolute worst nightmare- for someone to expose something you feel such deep shame about, and at the same time using such a mocking tone, and with such distain...

not only that, being outed on national tv? HORRIFIC.

Posted by: Griff | Apr 3, 2008 12:53:55 PM

12. *Yawn*

I've SO moved on to the Real World/Road Rules Challenge and Gauntlet competitions.

Btw, Nathan DID look like Bob Barker.

Posted by: Banjiboi | Apr 3, 2008 12:55:44 PM

13. i'm pretty sure stephen was very aware of his sexual orientation when his show was on. i'm from seattle and have a friend who used to kick it with stephen (and even hooked up with him) while he was filming the show here.

he was delliberately acting "straight" on the show, and that's the reason why irene called him out in that scene.

Posted by: moto | Apr 3, 2008 12:57:10 PM

14. Memo to Stephen:

Hon, I'm always nervous when someone confronts you - especially when it's another guy. Yeah, you slapped Irene, which I kinda liked in the way that I'm glad it was YOU and not ME who slapped her.

Anyhoo, it truly disturbs me that those macho dickheads think they could spew homophobic rants coupled with vague threats of violence, only to hear you say, "I'll sue you". Yeah that's fine and all, but we're talking about Z-list reality "stars". Perhaps you meant you'll sue MTV. Okay, now THAT might be all good for a few shillings, but really. Next time you're compelled to show up at one of these reunion shows, do so only after you have taken up some serious kick boxing and perhaps some Tae Kwon Do. And then call their pseudo-macho bluff.

Now that would be good TV.

Posted by: Banjiboi | Apr 3, 2008 1:08:41 PM

15. Wow. The complete inanity of this "news" makes me long for the days of hourly Scissor Sister updates.

Posted by: Scott | Apr 3, 2008 1:22:53 PM

16. im not surprised...homeboy was 'HOW YOU DOIN?' from day one.

I was never convinced he was straight and had heard from many friends who were out there at the time of the show's taping that he was hooking up with guys left and right....

as for Nathan, i always thought he was suspect really. He was trying way to hard to be masculine on the show, and he and david were quite boring. the girls were more interesting that season as it was...

and nathan looks HAGGARD...like, maybe somebody's been dipping into the surgeon's office al ittle too much? spending too much time with Ms. "TINA"? he looked rough--at 30.

David--wow, wasn't hot then and looked worse later.

and, is it just me, but isn't CT from Real World Paris itching to come out? another person who was always suspect. take that back..he's dumb as hell....the gays dont want him! :)

I watched the show and casually watched over the years due to boredom..it was entertaining to watch a bunch of Z list starts fight for attention.

but, it was more telling that those who stayed away (Pam and Judd, Mohammed, etc.) probably showed more class.

But Eric Nies with a beard: HOT...i was waiting for him to strip down to nothing. but, he's a life coach now? interesting...id still do him bent over the kitchen table all night.

Posted by: Ryan Canty | Apr 3, 2008 1:26:22 PM

17. Amen, BANJIBOI. There was something bothering me about the straight guys macho posturing and Stephen's response (if you want to call it a response).

If you're bad enough to slap women, then you better be bad enough to take on a macho straight prick. Although, there are far more straight guys who don't adhere to that policy than gay guys.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Apr 3, 2008 1:31:48 PM

18. Derrick:

I wanna thank ya!

Posted by: banjiboi | Apr 3, 2008 1:41:51 PM

19. I thought Nathan looked good...it was David who hasn't aged so well...and Stephen, well, Stephen appears to still be an idiot...I loved how his boyfriend kept threatening to 'pepper sauce' the others. Classy.

Posted by: peterparker | Apr 3, 2008 1:56:03 PM

20. Derrick and Banji: You are on the money. Those three trifling white boys should have had their asses served to them on a plate.

Posted by: gwyneth cornrow | Apr 3, 2008 2:02:09 PM

21. Ryan:

Yes, Nathan looks haggard and meth-faced, and very feminine. I always thought he was gay.

David is somewhat attractive, but no taller than 5'6 in person.

I know for a fact that CT is NOT gay.

Stephen? Was a tool then, is a tool now.

Posted by: Another Matt | Apr 3, 2008 2:39:28 PM

22. Another Matt:

I know CT isn't gay but his idiotic hypermasculinity is just too fucking much. like really, tone it DOWN..A LOT.

then again, you realize that's all he has since he's a complete dunderfuck with a limited vocabulary..

yea david IS SHORT...i mean all of those guys are short...have you noticed that there hasn't been too many real world guys OVER 5'11?

nathan: totally meth faced, very fem-fresh, haggard, and looks like he needed a nice thick cock in his mouth...

when he was younger, i would have given him some just to shut up him. now....im sorry bob barker looks BETTER than nathan...

and stephen: DEFINITELY a TOOL. and his man looked like a greasy crackhead on the corner who robbed a low budget Men's Warehouse store for the lone faux khaki suit...just bad all around.

but pam and judd looked GREAT together and are totally still together all these years..judd's comic is fantastic too!

Posted by: Ryan | Apr 3, 2008 3:06:26 PM

23. In casting, Stephen was open about being gay, and that's probably one of the reasons Bunim/Murray decided to put him on the show...because he was black and gay (and Jewish, but that was never a topic on the show either). All of the sudden, the cameras roll, and he's like "well, I made the show, so now I can hide all that other stuff." He's still an asshat.

Posted by: Rafi | Apr 3, 2008 7:16:38 PM

24. Stephen will end up with a bullet in his head someday and we will not care. Next.

Posted by: Cynic Cyndi | Apr 4, 2008 12:34:31 AM

25. Cyndi, speak for yourself. I would never be so casual about someone being shot in the head, even if I disliked the person. I mean, seriously...

Posted by: Fredo777 | Apr 4, 2008 9:43:22 AM