Al Reynolds, Jr. | News | Star Jones

BigGayDeal.com

Star Jones Files for Divorce from Al Reynolds Jr.

Staral

She tells Entertainment Tonight:

"Several years ago I made an error in judgment by inviting the media into the most intimate area of my life. A month ago I filed for divorce. The dissolution of a marriage is a difficult time in anyone's life that requires privacy with one's thoughts. I have committed myself to handling this situation with dignity and grace and look forward to emerging from this period as a stronger and wiser woman."

previously
Just Married [tr]

Comments

1. I wonder which corporate donors she's gonna tap to sponsor her divorce?

Posted by: MikeinSanJose | Apr 23, 2008 12:41:05 PM

2. So Star is trying something new: she is "committed" to handling this situation "with dignity and grace". Good luck with that one! I fear that it is going to be frightfully difficult to teach that old dog some new tricks.

Posted by: rudy | Apr 23, 2008 12:44:32 PM

3. Star Jones: "I have committed myself to handling this situation with dignity and grace..."

Lito S.: Woman, you already done failed to maintain yer committment if yer announcing this on EW!

Posted by: Lito S. | Apr 23, 2008 12:47:09 PM

4. Now Al can go back to being a full-on gay. Big sigh of relief, eh, Al?

Posted by: jeff | Apr 23, 2008 12:48:35 PM

5. In my best Nelson Muntz voice: HA-Ha!

Posted by: crispy | Apr 23, 2008 12:48:46 PM

6. Sorry, I don't wish anything bad on anyone (well ALMOST anyone) but she's an asshole! I'm sure she's working out a way to do a show about this.

Posted by: JR | Apr 23, 2008 1:12:16 PM

7. Can someone explain why we all hate Star Jones? I've never really followed her, so I can't figure out why she always generates such negative comments on towleroad.

Posted by: peterparker | Apr 23, 2008 1:27:08 PM

8. Oh, let me get away from the Obama/Clinton War and come to a fun topic. So, Star is getting divorced. That's fine. Now, she can throw away her supply of strap-ons.

Just keep your gay husband away from my Barack Obama. We don't need no scandals. Oh, shoot, I'm sorry that was mean. And I mentioned Barack.

Help me, Crispy-- I want to be nice again.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Apr 23, 2008 1:39:57 PM

9. Didn't "star" marry a gay guy in her FIRST marriage? I had read after that divorce, "star" turned ultra conservative.

But now with Gay Al, that would be double failure when marrying a gay?

Why did she do it? Didn't she learn the first time to not marry a gay?

Maybe Liza with her 2 gay husbands can shed some light.

Posted by: FunMe | Apr 23, 2008 2:02:13 PM

10. Peterparker,

She's hated because she's "an attorney". Among SO many other reasons. You've never followed her? Good for you. There is absolutely NO reason to. Though I'm sure she would beg to differ with that.

Posted by: JR | Apr 23, 2008 2:19:35 PM

11. She made a mistake having her wedding payed for by the media? She didn't seem to think so at the time. And why divorce now? She hasn't been on TV for months and months. Oh well, Kathy Griffin has more fodder for jokes now.

Posted by: hal | Apr 23, 2008 2:39:34 PM

12. Star Jones is known for making homophobic comments over the years. One incident that stands out is when I heard her telling THE VIEW co-hosts that she and Al had returned from a wonderful vacation at a couples only resort. Why was it so wonderful? "They only allow heterosexual couples. No gay people are allowed. I thought that was great."

This from a woman who married a man who dressed as Bam-Bam from The Flintstones for a Fire Island Pines pool party.

More on why Star would never support a candidate who supports marriage equality here: http://thirdestatesundayreview.blogspot.com/2006/07/non-star-loses-her-sparkle-time.html

Posted by: John In Manhattan | Apr 23, 2008 2:43:54 PM

13. But Seriously Folks: Do we know for SURE that Al is Gay or is it just Speculation. If he is gay then he is not a good representation of gay people because he jumped into a sham of a marriage.

Posted by: Brutus | Apr 23, 2008 3:34:13 PM

14. Star Jones.

Well, for me the hatred began when she continuously lied about her weight and subsequent weight loss to everyone including me in the studio audience of the View when my brother was co-hosting from his home in MN.

"To tell the truth" she said "it's just diet and exercise."

More like exorcism. Then after that it def was her constant piggishness about product endorsements and swag. She just seemed never to be honest or forthright about what she was doing and that bled into a sort of resentment. And finally, well, you know the rest.

Posted by: Br!on | Apr 23, 2008 3:49:52 PM

15. She's actually not a bad person - desperate and a bit silly (with obviously terrible judgment) but not bad - Al on the other hand got exactly what he wanted - fame.

For the record Al has always had girlfriends and boyfriends with more of the latter after moving to NY. When those who knew him pre Star found out he was getting married we just assumed he found god - which he did - Mammon.

I actually feel really bad for her - not because she married a bi-sexual man but because she married a jerk. Hope the pre nup is as well sponsored as the wedding!

Posted by: Giovanni | Apr 23, 2008 3:57:37 PM

16. why do we hate Star? For the same reason we hate Oprah, she's a big black girl who can't be the true gal-lover she is so she has to cover it up with sanctimonious doubletalk. Tipoff: you'll never ever hear them poke fun at themselves, they can't.

Posted by: cd | Apr 23, 2008 4:17:20 PM

17. Oh Please,

She only wants a divorce because he stretched all her Payless shoes into a size 11

Posted by: Maverick69 | Apr 23, 2008 4:21:26 PM

18. so star (i'm a lawyer) jones is divorcing big gay al!? shocking!!!

Posted by: nic | Apr 23, 2008 4:51:07 PM

19. If you don't care for Star and Oprah, fine, but I don't know why anyone needs to point out that they're "big black girls" as if that's something negative. But I suppose it WOULD be considered negative on this site.

Posted by: Nate | Apr 23, 2008 5:07:32 PM

20. Frankly I am deeply suspicious of anyone who "hates" Oprah - not that she has ANYTHING to do with the matter at hand.

Posted by: Giovanni | Apr 23, 2008 5:58:29 PM

21. Star suffered from bighead syndrome if a heavy dose of fake-ness and bad wigs. She thought her poop didn't stink and most people are turned off by people like that. There are lots of bridezillas out there, plenty of sham marriages, people make stupid mistakes all the time and are not hated. Star is just innately unlikeable.

Posted by: Lilfair | Apr 23, 2008 6:40:45 PM

22. "I have committed myself to handling this situation with dignity and grace and look forward to emerging from this period as a stronger and wiser woman."
    -------------------
    That's funny, that is the same thing Al said.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Apr 23, 2008 6:54:55 PM

23. I wish Star Jones would learn from this experience, especially if Al Reynolds is gay. But some of these folks - like Terry McMillan and the ex-wife and Jim McGreevey - don't seem to learn a DAMN thing from their experiences with gay husbands. Sad. If a person is 100% self-obsessed, they never learn.

Posted by: Hephaestion | Apr 23, 2008 7:09:18 PM

24. AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO SAW PICS OF AL THE FIRST TIME AND SAID "ISN'T THAT THAT GUY FROM THE BARS?"

WEIRD.

I ACTUALLY LIKE HER NEW SHOW (IF ITS STILL ON). I ALSO LIKE THAT SHE BASICALLY FUCKED BABA WAWA ON AIR. I HATE WALTERS! EVER NOTICE WHENEVER THE NEWS IS NEGATIVE ON A BIG CELEBRITY OR SOCIALITE SHE JUMPS IN AND SHUTS DOWN THE CONVO? SHE SHUT DOWN JOY BEHAR BIG TIME WHEN JOY STARTED TO POUNCE ON THAT SLATTERN JUDITH GUILIANI. YEAH, I HATE BARBARA WALTERS. I LOVE CANDICE BERGEN THOUGH. THAT HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH ANYTHING BUT I JUST SMOKED A JOINT.

Posted by: dw314 | Apr 24, 2008 2:29:04 AM